PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

As did Deebo.
It’s almost unforgivable.
To come out of that with Harry drafted prior to all that elite talent.
If I was Kraft I would have fired any scouts who were involved with that pick.
Then write a blank check to the niners and titans wr scouts.
But that’s me.
Zappe Hour,
I love your passion as a fan. You are deeply invested in every signing and non- signing.

Here is what we do as Pats fans- celebrate other teams draft successes and ignore their failures. The 49ers did great with Deebo and Aiyuk, but missed badly with Dante Pettis in the 2nd in 18, Jalen Hurd in the 3rd in 19, and the jury is out on Danny Gray, the 2022 3rd round pick, but he had only 1 catch for 10 yards last.

The Titans GM just got fired. Burks, taken in the first has potential, and Brown was great. But they also took Corey Davis at 1.5 in 2017 (yes 1.5) and he never had a 1K season, and then they have the stellar collection of Dez Fitzpatrick, Racy McMath (I love his name, but not his game) and Kyle Phillips. They also traded for Robert Woods, payed him 10M, and he had 53 catches and averaged less than 10 YPC.

It’s not like either of those teams has a magic formula. They have drafted good players and missed terribly. It’s the nature of the draft, especially at WR.

Do people understand that if Marcus gets injured playing a position he isn’t familiar with (WR) then our starting PR and possibly starting slot CB is out? Marcus has had multiple shoulder surgeries on his 5’8” frame. We’re not talking about 6’4” 260 lbs Vrable here. He’s almost 100 lbs lighter.
Oh without a doubt I agree with you, however he is overly matched on the outside trying to cover WRs now if he's in the slot ok.. now playing CB runs serious risk as well to get injured.. your back pedaling, you have to tackle, play the run.. so the risk are still high for injury.. but I get what your saying...

Zappe Hour,
I love your passion as a fan. You are deeply invested in every signing and non- signing.

Here is what we do as Pats fans- celebrate other teams draft successes and ignore their failures. The 49ers did great with Deebo and Aiyuk, but missed badly with Dante Pettis in the 2nd in 18, Jalen Hurd in the 3rd in 19, and the jury is out on Danny Gray, the 2022 3rd round pick, but he had only 1 catch for 10 yards last.

The Titans GM just got fired. Burks, taken in the first has potential, and Brown was great. But they also took Corey Davis at 1.5 in 2017 (yes 1.5) and he never had a 1K season, and then they have the stellar collection of Dez Fitzpatrick, Racy McMath (I love his name, but not his game) and Kyle Phillips. They also traded for Robert Woods, payed him 10M, and he had 53 catches and averaged less than 10 YPC.

It’s not like either of those teams has a magic formula. They have drafted good players and missed terribly. It’s the nature of the draft, especially at WR.
People forget how formidable that brown/Davis duo was for titans.. Davis has been hurt past 2 seasons, plus NYJ qb situation.. I'd like to look at him if he got released.. AJ brown is a freight train at WR..

Oh without a doubt I agree with you, however he is overly matched on the outside trying to cover WRs now if he's in the slot ok.. now playing CB runs serious risk as well to get injured.. your back pedaling, you have to tackle, play the run.. so the risk are still high for injury.. but I get what your saying...
I don’t think outside CB should even be in the conversation. Marcus Jones is a slot CB through and through. He also excels at PR.

You mentioned aspects that could cause injury at CB just like any other CB :thumbsup:

I don’t think outside CB should even be in the conversation. Marcus Jones is a slot CB through and through. He also excels at PR.

You mentioned aspects that could cause injury at CB just like any other CB :thumbsup:
Yeah that's right ✅️, I guess it's just his elite speed and quickness has me enamored with seeing in as slot WR.. if he ends up solidifying that slot CB then jo Jones is at safety.. FS.. so its Jack and hopefully BIG CB to be named.. on the outside..

I disagree that M Jones cannot play outside. He did at times this year and was fine. Height is overrated.

Last edited:
Zappe Hour,

Splash of cold water.
Thank you.

Yeah that's right ✅️, I guess it's just his elite speed and quickness has me enamored with seeing in as slot WR.. if he ends up solidifying that slot CB then jo Jones is at safety.. FS.. so its Jack and hopefully BIG CB to be named.. on the outside..
Marcus Jones will be injured quicker then you can say Isiah Wynn if he is at WR on a regular basis. That’s reality.

Last edited:
People forget how formidable that brown/Davis duo was for titans.. Davis has been hurt past 2 seasons, plus NYJ qb situation.. I'd like to look at him if he got released.. AJ brown is a freight train at WR..
Corey Davis was taken at 1.5! NE fans are acutely aware the Pats could have had Deeo or AJ. But at 1.5, the Titans could have had anyone except Garrett, Trubisky (ha!) Solomon Thomas (a SF bust we ignore) or Leonard Fournette. Mariota had shown he likely wasn’t going to be the guy: that draft had Mahomes, Watson, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, McCaffery, Kamara,Dalvin Cook- lots of weapons.

This is what I was saying to Zappe. We only play the, we should have player A instead of B for ourselves, but no one else. Imagine if the “great drafting 49’ers” had drafted Mahomes at 1.3. The draft is filled with a few successes and a lot of mistakes. Those mistakes are even more likely when you draft in the back half of every round most of the time.

Splash of cold water.
Thank you.
Like I said, you are great fan with great passion. The board is better for you! I would just encourage you when you feel like the Pattiots are terrible at something, to look at other teams as well. It’s always a mixed bag.

Every team that has won multiple championships in a short window in the NFL goes through a downs period, or a middling period. We are in one of those as Pats fans. We just don’t have much in the way of elite talent that the best teams do- so we are not an elite team. It’s not going to be fixed in FA alone and it is going to require that some players radically outperform expectations.

Corey Davis was taken at 1.5! NE fans are acutely aware the Pats could have had Deeo or AJ. But at 1.5, the Titans could have had anyone except Garrett, Trubisky (ha!) Solomon Thomas (a SF bust we ignore) or Leonard Fournette. Mariota had shown he likely wasn’t going to be the guy: that draft had Mahomes, Watson, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, McCaffery, Kamara,Dalvin Cook- lots of weapons.

This is what I was saying to Zappe. We only play the, we should have player A instead of B for ourselves, but no one else. Imagine if the “great drafting 49’ers” had drafted Mahomes at 1.3. The draft is filled with a few successes and a lot of mistakes. Those mistakes are even more likely when you draft in the back half of every round most of the time.
Excellent post yes,

Yes we all agree the misses are so egregious that you say to yourself such a football savant, been around the game spanning 4 decades Even changed the the game.. how does Coach have this happen so often? I'm not hating on BB just asking the questions of HOW? As you mentioned Mahomes and all those players... we end up with N'Keal Harry and Joeuan Williams, Duke Dawson, Cyrus jones... the list goes on... wow

Like I said, you are great fan with great passion. The board is better for you! I would just encourage you when you feel like the Pattiots are terrible at something, to look at other teams as well. It’s always a mixed bag.

Every team that has won multiple championships in a short window in the NFL goes through a downs period, or a middling period. We are in one of those as Pats fans. We just don’t have much in the way of elite talent that the best teams do- so we are not an elite team. It’s not going to be fixed in FA alone and it is going to require that some players radically outperform expectations.
Agree and thank you!

Excellent post yes,

Yes we all agree the misses are so egregious that you say to yourself such a football savant, been around the game spanning 4 decades Even changed the the game.. how does Coach have this happen so often? I'm not hating on BB just asking the questions of HOW? As you mentioned Mahomes and all those players... we end up with N'Keal Harry and Joeuan Williams, Duke Dawson, Cyrus jones... the list goes on... wow
Well, even when the Pats were winning championships, they, like every team in the draft, made FA mistakes and drafting mistakes. But, if you look at other teams, even the really good ones, they have lots of misses too.

The difference was for us, and is now, the almost all best teams have elite talent at QB. If they do not, then they have elite D lines and elite skill position players. Right now, NE has not much in the way of elite talent. Judon is close, Rhamondre is not elite, but radically outplaying his salary, Marcus Jones is outperforming his salary considerably- but the overall talent is meh. It’s really hard to improve your talent base through FA. It is easier to do through trades and the draft. Usually, to really improve it in the draft, you have to be bad, not mediocre, but straight up bad, got 2-3 years. I am not optimistic, but I am not angry. It was an amazing run- but we are far from legit Super Bowl talent. We might catch lightning in a bottle and make s deep run with some upsets- but we are far from sustainable excellence.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back