PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

If we are in on either one we will see a release/trade of Brown or Extensions for Judon or Henry first.
If Jeudy is a $2.7M cap hit, why do we have to restructure anyone?

If Jeudy is a $2.7M cap hit, why do we have to restructure anyone?
No need for a restructure for Jeudy. If they trade for Hopkins, they'd likely agree to terms and then announce the trade and the accommodating restructure of another player to fit his deal in simultaneously. Possibly also announce a restructure for Hopkins himself simultaneously as well. I'd add a void year on the end and convert his 2023 salary into a $19M signing bonus spread across 3 years, so $6.48M proration per year with around a $1M salary this year. He'd be only a $7.5M cap hit in 2023, around $20M cap hit in 2024 (easy to absorb next year) and then a dead money hit of around $6.5M when his deal voids in 2025.

Apologies I interpreted brewing to mean something big but yes of course there is still work to be done and BB typically exhausts all avenues so a trade is always possible with him.

As to your other question I am quite confident in our secondary. With both Mills and McCourty gone we could use some depth but I think the young pieces are in place to make a really good group and Jonathan Jones should be able to takeover that veterans leader role. 3 Joneses and Dugger imo make this position as good as any on the team. Phillips and Peppers are nice too and while we all get frustrated by Bryant he's a nice depth piece at this point too.
No worries at all brother! I was just asking to see what people may have thought as to if anything may have been brewing.. I know we have to make cap room to sign out draft picks ect.. most definitely I Know BB will always try to do whatever is best for the team.

I'll say I'm actually happy so far with retaining some guys and signing juju and I really like gisikie myself and zappe hour were asking got him and we got him lol.

Agreed! Jo Jones definitely steps into more a that leadership role. I'm sure you have seen me make mention.. a guy like Murphy-bunting would be excellent for us.. I don't think he would be too expensive.. I feel right now our biggest need is CB depth.. love our safeties I know I get down on Bryant as well but when he has played the depth safety role he hasn't been bad.. it's the slot CB position that's not his Forte..

Apologies I interpreted brewing to mean something big but yes of course there is still work to be done and BB typically exhausts all avenues so a trade is always possible with him.

As to your other question I am quite confident in our secondary. With both Mills and McCourty gone we could use some depth but I think the young pieces are in place to make a really good group and Jonathan Jones should be able to takeover that veterans leader role. 3 Joneses and Dugger imo make this position as good as any on the team. Phillips and Peppers are nice too and while we all get frustrated by Bryant he's a nice depth piece at this point too.
I also wanted to mention I like our RB situation as well.. rham Is the bell cow, Robinson was given a pretty decent contract.. I don't think Harris resigns.. we still have ty Montgomery, Kevin Harris and strong Jr. I like that RB room

If Brandin Cooks, who is 29, and is owed $32M over the next two years by his new team, was traded for a 2023 5th and 2024 6th, then Hopkins, who is 30, and is owed $34M over the next two years by his new team, should cost around the same. Their ask of “a 2nd plus a player” is a pipe dream.

Jeudy is at least younger and cheaper (24, about $15M over next two years), but also unproven, so his price should still not be much higher. Again, their ask of a 1st is ridiculous.
Jeudy had a hair under 1,000 yards in 15 games last year.

He hasn’t lived up to his draft billing, but I wouldn’t say he’s unproven. That’s basically the production Cooks has had for years now. Not to mention his cap hit is ridiculous and he’s 30.

Jeudy should absolutely be worth more, although yeah a 1st is too much.

He hasn’t lived up to his draft billing, but I wouldn’t say he’s unproven.
It's pretty impressive that with that offense in DEN last season juedy still had a decent season.. he's attractive in that he has a relationship with Mac, he's 23, he's fast, great hands can run the entire NFL route tree.. he has valuable NFL experience.

He'd be the perfect guy to come in and grow with Mac in the BOB offense..

He hasn’t lived up to his draft billing, but I wouldn’t say he’s unproven. That’s basically the production Cooks has had for years now. Not to mention his cap hit is ridiculous and he’s 30.

Jeudy should absolutely be worth more, although yeah a 1st is too much.
Yeah, when I say "unproven" I just mean he hasn't done it consistently, doesn't have a track record. I think we are on the same page - he definitely should cost more than Cooks due age + contract, but not a 1st.

On one hand I’m bummed because I thought Cooks was the Patriots fall back if they couldn’t bring in Jeudy, OBJ or Hopkins.

On the other hand the Cowboys have been rumored suitors for all 3 so the Cooks move might increase the likelihood the Pats get Jeudy OBJ or Hopkins.

If the Pats get Hopkins I hope they can get the Cards to take on a portion of his salary for this year like the Texans did with Cooks.

While Bill is exchanging peanuts, disciple is making boss moves.
Best signing of entire offseason..

But of course all discussion here is around receivers lol, so peanuts well deserved..
i hope firs rd tacle and a second for jeudy, this would boost the passing offense

Look prick , play nice.. maybe you need to find another hobby all u do is argue with people on here with your BS ass website information no one has ever heard of..

ROFLMAO.
No website that people have heard of? NFL.COM, CBSSPORTS.COM and RAS.FOOTBALL? They are 3 of the most common sites used for information from the Combine. You'd know that if your head wasn't so far up your own arse.

Like I said. You're a waste of flesh.

This whole argument is textbook patsfans.com thread derailment. Arguing over an inch.

************, even my wife, who often stresses the importance of every inch, thinks you guys need to stop being so precious
It's not thread derailment. It has to do with the height of the safeties on the team. Which he stated were all under 6'0 originally. Then he got reminded about Dugger and made the statement about Dugger being 6'2. I pointed out that Dugger was, in fact 6' 7/8" and that I wasn't sure where he got his info from.. No name calling or anything. He didn't like being corrected.

Certainly Dugger’s height has been ambiguous since his college days. I think 6’1” is the most agreed upon number now.

While Bill is exchanging peanuts, disciple is making boss moves.
Best signing of entire offseason..

But of course all discussion here is around receivers lol, so peanuts well deserved..
Tunsil, a warm weather guy (born in Florida, played at Old Miss, Miami and Houston) wasn’t a free agent. He had a year left on his contract, signed an extension with his own team where he already has a home, for the highest average salary per year, re-setting the market, in a state with no income tax.

I think it is pretty clear that no cold weather team with state income tax- NE, the Chiefs etc, was going to get him. He could just sign with a warm weather, no state tax team after 2023. No reason to be upset or clutch pearls. It seems like you are being grumpy for the sake of being grumpy.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back