PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

It's infuriating that the Pats wouldn't match/beat this offer.

UGH! Seems like a very reasonable deal. Unless they are saving WR money for another high-salaried player via trade (Hopkins, Sutton, Godwin), this is going to really, really annoy me.

It indicates that the league is once again very underwhelmed by the free-agent wide receiver class this year, given that some had predicted he would be able to get a 12 to 15m yearly average (15 always seemed unlikely to me). On the other hand, it’s not a bad payday for a guy who broke into the league has an UDFA. Happy for him but I will miss his reliability.

Meyers signing with the Raiders is going to massively hurt the Patriots offense.

He'll average 80 receptions a season for 1,000 yards over the next 3 years.

You can ooh and ahh over the speed of whomever we bring in, but they won't have the production that Meyers does.

Huge FAIL from Belichick
You think Meyers is going to catch 80 passes for 1000 yards in the same offense with Adams, Walker and Renfro? Who is he taking targets from?
Has Jimmy G ever had even 2 WRs hit those numbers in a season?

They don’t need someone with top end speed, they have Thornton for that. They need some in the slot who can get open quick, JSN has great agility and short area quickness, which thrives in BOBs offense working out of the slot.
I know he does. I'm just saying what you described isn't worth the #14

I think it lends more weight to the idea that BoB wasn't the biggest Meyers fan and wasn't going to fit in whatever offense BoB is building.
I think it’s just that Meyers isn’t anything special. He’s capable, he did a good job in the role, but there are a lot of players you could put in that role without much difference in production. At $11 million you need more than that. IMO.

You think Meyers is going to catch 80 passes for 1000 yards in the same offense with Adams, Walker and Renfro? Who is he taking targets from?
Has Jimmy G ever had even 2 WRs hit those numbers in a season?
Adams will get all the attention as he should Myers will be put in spots in Josh's offense like he was here.. hadn't he missed time he'd had been Over 1,000 in the playschool offense last season..

Meyers was great at his rookie contract and tender price. He isn’t worth 11 million.
I know it is your job to defend any bb decision such as not signing meyers but I mean we paid agholor like 13 average or what’s ecsxtly ? And i am sure the typical bb defenders said this is the price you pay for today nfl numbers 2/3 WR
Well guys you can’t defend not marching this low market price for meyers or you look ridiculous

I know it is your job to defend any bb decision such as not signing meyers but I mean we paid agholor like 13 average or what’s ecsxtly ? And i am sure the typical bb defenders said this is the price you pay for today nfl numbers 2/3 WR
Well guys you can’t defend not marching this low market price for meyers or you look ridiculous
Agholor got this same amount, but over 2 years

Meyers signing with the Raiders is going to massively hurt the Patriots offense.

He'll average 80 receptions a season for 1,000 yards over the next 3 years.

You can ooh and ahh over the speed of whomever we bring in, but they won't have the production that Meyers does.

Huge FAIL from Belichick

Meyers won't have 80 receptions and 1,000 yards over the next three years with Davonte Adams, Hunter Renfrow, and Mac Hollins on the roster. There are only so many footballs to go around. I am not even sure Meyers will be a starter in Las Vegas.

We let Meyers go over 11M a season, after paying guys like Agholor and Jonnu big $$$ to do jack ****? That sucks man. That really sucks. Bill has something big up his sleeve, right?
1678804081722.gif
Otherwise, letting Meyers go for that price makes no sense. Come on bill, don’t make me go to the negative dark side!

Obviously, everyone hopes that it's Juju/OBJ or Hopkins/Jeudy but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a guy like Mac Hollins and someone in the draft.

I could also see them adding another quality tight end because it's better value than the receiver market.

EIther way this is some bull ****.
1678804261994.gif

So you are saying Agholor was an example of a good decision?
Agholor was obviously a mistake which exactly proves my point.

Agholor was paid commensurate with the market that year and sitting out would have been wiser.
Meyers got paid because there are no shiny wr objects

Are you seriously telling me he is a difference maker?

That’s pretty cheap. Wonder why we weren’t interested for that price.
Probably because the guy sucks.

Based on reports, Bill O'Brien came in and looked the tape, and still hasn't been able to stop laughing at this guy's "athleticism" and his lack of explosiveness. He looked like a quadriplegic out there at times.

The two Bills decided it was time to move on to someone better, and they were 100% right.

Meyers won't have 80 receptions and 1,000 yards over the next three years with Davonte Adams, Hunter Renfrow, and Mac Hollins on the roster. There are only so many footballs to go around. I am not even sure Meyers will be a starter in Las Vegas.
Renfrow is on the outs. Meyers will be the starter. McDaniels is paying him like one.

Adams will get all the attention as he should Myers will be put in spots in Josh's offense like he was here.. hadn't he missed time he'd had been Over 1,000 in the playschool offense last season..
Do you think Adams is a decoy and Jimmy G will ignore better receivers in Renfro and Waller in order to throw for 1000 yards to his 4th option? Yeah, right.

I said in the other thread. I have been saying for weeks that I was not all that high on re-signing Meyers. He isn't a YAC guy. He struggled to run rub routes in McDaniels' system. The Pats desperately need someone who can run a rub route and catch the ball quickly and get at least 4-5 yards after the catch on a consistent basis.

He is going to to Vegas to be potentially the third WR on roster. He will not be playing the role the Pats need.

Personally, I would rather trade for Jerry Jeudy and sign Berrios. They are better fits for what the Pats are likely going to do this season.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back