PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

We let Meyers go over 11M a season, after paying guys like Agholor and Jonnu big $$$ to do jack ****? That sucks man. That really sucks. Bill has something big up his sleeve, right?
Probably not

If you're comfortable with Mills at safety and Jack Jones as a fulltime outside corner with Bryant/Marcus Jones in the slot, that's fine. I think it's a massive downgrade from last year's secondary unless the rookies make a huge jump. Mills is better at corner.
The potential lineup should be:
Sean Murphy-bunting LCB
Jack Jones
I'm not sure it's poaching if we weren't even willing to do $11million per year. Seems like Josh was being charitable to Meyers.
It's the guranteed money, he got 21 guranteed that's huge! That's the allure especially for a guy like Myers, undrafted made nothing as far as NFL WR salary

This is a nothing post. It means zero. I just want to know which deals those teams signed were bad. Which fan wants them to make bad deals? None. People are antsy to see them spend money and add talent to the team and you're equating that to a hurry to sign players to bad deals. Don't be cynical.
The “nothing post” was when I responded to someone calling for “urgency” by saying they shouldn’t have urgency to sign bad deals and you replied with “its incredible how every big money deal is bad”

Acting based upon “urgency to do something” causes bad deals.
Under a cap, the cost and the player both matter.

In this case signing an underperforming OT to 10 mill
a year because another team offering 9 created urgency would have been a bad deal.

Historically many more of the big $ free agency deals in the first couple of days prove to be bad. Not all, but the frequency is high, and the risk is high because it takes away so much of the cap.

Prudent isn’t cynical

Maybe he preferred Vegas?
Maybe we are freeing up cap for Jackson who knows.
Maybe Bill and BOB view him as a Jag.

This is a nothing post. It means zero. I just want to know which deals those teams signed were bad. Which fan wants them to make bad deals? None. People are antsy to see them spend money and add talent to the team and you're equating that to a hurry to sign players to bad deals. Don't be cynical.
I think we saw several bad deals. The Lindstrom, Edmunds, Tomlinson, McGlinchey, Gay, Zach Allen deals are 6 that stand out to me as bad. I'd add the David Carr and Daniel Jones deals but those are irrelevant for the Patriots.

There's still a clear path to improving the offense and it's trading for Hopkins, signing Orlando Brown Jr and drafting JSN at 14. They have the picks and the cap space to do it.
Pats aren’t shelling out top dollar for brown, JSN I highly doubt makes it to 14 as he’s clearly the best WR in the draft.

I think we saw several bad deals. The Lindstrom, Edmunds, Tomlinson, McGlinchey, Gay, Zach Allen deals are 6 that stand out to me as bad. I'd add the David Carr and Daniel Jones deals but those are irrelevant for the Patriots.
David Carr?
I know you meant Derek.

Obviously, everyone hopes that it's Juju/OBJ or Hopkins/Jeudy but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a guy like Mac Hollins and someone in the draft.

I could also see them adding another quality tight end because it's better value than the receiver market.

EIther way this is some bull ****.
Definitely some ********, I think of what you mentioned juedy will be here!! It makes too much sense. I'd definitely like O'Dell and or juju...

Meyers signing with the Raiders is going to massively hurt the Patriots offense.

He'll average 80 receptions a season for 1,000 yards over the next 3 years.

You can ooh and ahh over the speed of whomever we bring in, but they won't have the production that Meyers does.

Huge FAIL from Belichick

Pats aren’t shelling out top dollar for brown, JSN I highly doubt makes it to 14 as he’s clearly the best WR in the draft.
JSN at 14 is a reach. He doesn't have the top end speed that all the WRs did in the first 15 picks over the last several years. He'd be the slowest receiver of them all. We weren't willing to pay $11m a year to Meyers, so I doubt we'd use the 14 on a guy without top end speed.

Conspiracy theorist here.
Can I say that Meyers was Macs biggest fan.
Casting out Meyers could be a signal Mac isn’t the guy?
If so please trade for LJ !!!!!

JSN at 14 is a reach. He doesn't have the top end speed that all the WRs did in the first 15 picks over the last several years. He'd be the slowest receiver of them all. We weren't willing to pay $11m a year to Meyers, so I doubt we'd use the 14 on a guy without top end speed.
They don’t need someone with top end speed, they have Thornton for that. They need some in the slot who can get open quick, JSN has great agility and short area quickness, which thrives in BOBs offense working out of the slot.

Meyers signing with the Raiders is going to massively hurt the Patriots offense.

He'll average 80 receptions a season for 1,000 yards over the next 3 years.

You can ooh and ahh over the speed of whomever we bring in, but they won't have the production that Meyers does.

Huge FAIL from Belichick
You mean worst than last season?

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back