PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2022 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

He played most of his career for a D-minded HC.

I personally think Brady retires but if he doesn't TB makes the most sense for a whole slew of reasons.
The attention to detail that bothered Brady so much is directly because of Bowles.

I personally think Brady retires but if he doesn't TB makes the most sense for a whole slew of reasons.
Put coaching and the defense aside for a minute. What about the offense would have Brady wanting to return?

His two main guys, Godwin and Evans, weren't very good this season. Godwin has good hands but he caught a ton of passes within 2 yards of the LOS and was very limited otherwise. Too me it didn't look like he regained his burst or elite lateral movement. Evans had one good game where Brady delivered 3 perfectly thrown deep balls for TDs. Evans didn't make contested catches this season and he dropped anything that was away from his body (including a would be TD against Dallas that could have made the end of that game a little more interesting).

I like Otton but his ceiling may not be that high. Brate is merely serviceable. They need a true TE1.

The running game is in complete shambles. How are they going to fix that mess?

Brady should be looking elsewhere or start getting paid by Fox.

Coaching is only part of the issue in Tampa Bay, and I'm sure Brady knows that. If he's legitimately thinking about a return to the Bucs, he's going to want to know Licht's plans for dealing with the cap, free agency, and the like.

And, then, there's the question of whether or not Bowles wants him back...

Inside Bucs Coaching Shake-Up

It's a very long video, but well worth watching at least a good chunk at the beginning. Anyone who's in the Tottie camp should at least watch the first 23 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Put coaching and the defense aside for a minute. What about the offense would have Brady wanting to return?

His two main guys, Godwin and Evans, weren't very good this season. Godwin has good hands but he caught a ton of passes within 2 yards of the LOS and was very limited otherwise. Too me it didn't look like he regained his burst or elite lateral movement. Evans had one good game where Brady delivered 3 perfectly thrown deep balls for TDs. Evans didn't make contested catches this season and he dropped anything that was away from his body (including a would be TD against Dallas that could have made the end of that game a little more interesting).

I like Otton but his ceiling may not be that high. Brate is merely serviceable. They need a true TE1.

I’d honestly rather see him retire than go back to the TB. with SF and seemingly MIA no longer a possibility LV seems like the perfect fit and all the signs point to it

McDaniels
Jacobs
Adams
Renfrow
Waller
Gronk?
better OL than TB (Raiders fans say both T are good but interior needs slight upgrading)
2 good edge rushers in Jones and Crosby

they will have around 30-35 million in cap space to upgrade the defense with
Carr can hopefully be traded for a 2nd or 3rd
draft picks: 7, 39, 71, 109, 142, 145, 174, 204, 214, 222, 233

And, then, there's the question of whether or not Bowles wants him back...
This brings up a good point of Brady’s overall market. I do wonder how much interest there will be in him at age 46 and how his play this season will be viewed.

This brings up a good point of Brady’s overall market. I do wonder how much interest there will be in him at age 46 and how his play this season will be viewed.

I think there's going to be a number of teams interested. And I think Tampa is one of them. I'm just not sure how about Bowles, personally, and that's based on the QB coach not coming back. I've not heard anything else to make me question it.

I think it has to be a team that Brady and the team think Brady puts them over the top. LVR is the most obvious team. There are a few other teams but that may include Brady taking over for a quarterback that possibly could be good enough (Miami and SF as examples).

I think it has to be a team that Brady and the team think Brady puts them over the top. LVR is the most obvious team. There are a few other teams but that may include Brady taking over for a quarterback that possibly could be good enough (Miami and SF as examples).

I don't see how Brady puts LVR over the top. They went 6-11.

Tampa in 2019 was a top 5 defense with a handful of emerging stars on their rookie deals. Raiders defensive DVOA: 31st.

Derek Carr is not some horrendous quarterback; he's roughly average. It's not like he threw 30 picks like Jameis Winston to torpedo the team's chances. It's very predictable that Josh failed miserably (just like in Denver) and will scapegoat Carr, even though Carr is exactly what people thought he was and exactly the type of QB Josh is supposed to "make better" with his brilliant chess moves on the field.

It was pretty clear that 2019 Tampa had a lot of the puzzle pieces and just needed a few more to get to the next level. Raiders have already paid their better players and don't have a lot of cheap talent. If they cut Carr and replace him with Brady (and Brady is willing to take $30M), they have $20M in cap space. That's really not that much considering all of the upgrades they need to contend.

Brady would basically become Wayne Newton on the football field. A former icon, past his prime, for display purposes to drum up entertainment value. Best case scenario is the Raiders duke it out a few times agains the Chiefs for some high drama and possibly compete for a wild card.

San Francisco makes a lot of sense, but it doesn't look like it's happening. Miami makes some sense too.

Best case scenario is the Raiders duke it out a few times agains the Chiefs for some high drama and possibly compete for a wild card.
Brady has a high football IQ so his analysis is going to be similar.

Then it comes down to how bad does he want to play football, knowing in his heart that they're a wild-card level team?

I don't think any of us know the answer to that, but if we ask the Gronk question, no he wasn't having fun.

Tampa in 2019 was a top 5 defense with a handful of emerging stars on their rookie deals. Raiders defensive DVOA: 31st.

Derek Carr is not some horrendous quarterback; he's roughly average. It's not like he threw 30 picks like Jameis Winston to torpedo the team's chances. It's very predictable that Josh failed miserably (just like in Denver) and will scapegoat Carr, even though Carr is exactly what people thought he was and exactly the type of QB Josh is supposed to "make better" with his brilliant chess moves on the field.

It was pretty clear that 2019 Tampa had a lot of the puzzle pieces and just needed a few more to get to the next level. Raiders have already paid their better players and don't have a lot of cheap talent. If they cut Carr and replace him with Brady (and Brady is willing to take $30M), they have $20M in cap space. That's really not that much considering all of the upgrades they need to contend.

Brady would basically become Wayne Newton on the football field. A former icon, past his prime, for display purposes to drum up entertainment value. Best case scenario is the Raiders duke it out a few times agains the Chiefs for some high drama and possibly compete for a wild card.

San Francisco makes a lot of sense, but it doesn't look like it's happening. Miami makes some sense too.
McDaniels is another coach who's never done anything without Brady. And he may be a total fu*k up in Vegas but Brady gives him a better shot than Carr and Brady's familiarity with McDaniels is probably a huge draw for Brady. It's probably why LVR hired him. Like you said, the better options are less likely to come to fruition so LVR may have to be it if Brady really wants to play and at least have great potential for gaudy offensive production.

Ya the only thing they have is it’s close to his family I’d take Vegas of Tampa, Tampas defense can’t stop anyone anyways so go to Vegas offense. I mean look how Dak shredded them and there gonna lose either Dean or David that defense isn’t good

I’d honestly rather see him retire than go back to the TB. with SF and seemingly MIA no longer a possibility LV seems like the perfect fit and all the signs point to it

McDaniels
Jacobs
Adams
Renfrow
Waller
Gronk?
better OL than TB (Raiders fans say both T are good but interior needs slight upgrading)
2 good edge rushers in Jones and Crosby

they will have around 30-35 million in cap space to upgrade the defense with
Carr can hopefully be traded for a 2nd or 3rd
draft picks: 7, 39, 71, 109, 142, 145, 174, 204, 214, 222, 233

Was doing the math if they reconstruct Crosby, Jones, Adams, Renfrow, Waller, Miller, and James while cutting or trading Carr they’d have 107 million in cap to sign Brady, Gronk, Jacobs, draft picks and improve the line and defense.

People keep talking about why play in that division but no competitor thinks like that and 3 teams can make the playoffs from one division

Ya the only thing they have is it’s close to his family I’d take Vegas of Tampa, Tampas defense can’t stop anyone anyways so go to Vegas offense. I mean look how Dak shredded them and there gonna lose either Dean or David that defense isn’t good
That WC performance was embarrassing. The shots of Toilet Bowles grimacing on the sideline were priceless. The defense was soooo bad, the poor tackling alone was mind-numbing. And that last TD pass to Lamb, I mean ************. The offense sucked too. Couldn't run the ball again or get anything going until they nullified Leftwich with Brady running the no huddle (which was a season long story). Brady's not blameless though, that pick was the worst pass he's thrown in a Bucs uniform. He played much better in the second half. Evans even screwed him of a third TD pass with a late drop.

I don’t care what number you give me that defense isn’t too 5 and got shredded by any competent offense. Vegas lost 8 games by 7 or less people will be saying they were a super team next year like they did for Tampa when they won

Nothing personal against Purdy, he's a great story, but it would benefit Brady if he has a Nate Petterman kind of game this week.

Nothing personal against Purdy, he's a great story, but it would benefit Brady if he has a Nate Petterman kind of game this week.
I mean that’s what I’m hoping for but it seems impossible with the talent around him

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back