PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP ****** Official 2021 Training Camp Thread ******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Cam handing the ball off is a good thing...in a backup role is even better
Agree. My only concern with Cam handing the ball off is what happens when we have to throw. Saw that movie, not much interest in the sequel.

Such a touchy situation. I mean play the kid if he is ready and take your lumps but hope he doesn't get ruined. Or take your lumps with Cam and bring the kid along slow...

My hope is the kid is solid enough to start and with a good Oline and a good running game he is mostly protected and you don't ask him to win games, just move the chains

Agree. My only concern with Cam handing the ball off is what happens when we have to throw. Saw that movie, not much interest in the sequel.

Such a touchy situation. I mean play the kid if he is ready and take your lumps but hope he doesn't get ruined. Or take your lumps with Cam and bring the kid along slow...

My hope is the kid is solid enough to start and with a good Oline and a good running game he is mostly protected and you don't ask him to win games, just move the chains
A lot of pressure when your a rook starting QB. I agree if he is ready then he should start...if not then watch and learn.

However for me it’s the 1st game...watch Cam fail and be ready for game 2. IMO there is a big difference in comfort zone compared to game one to game two for a rook. Start him soon if he is the future.

Newton's cooked, yet Jones isn't delivering knockout punches in the "competition", so people really need to slow their roll about this team. Let's just start with hoping that we can see some real improvement from Jones between now and the first exhibition game.

Newton's cooked, yet Jones isn't delivering knockout punches in the "competition", so people really need to slow their roll about this team. Let's just start with hoping that we can see some real improvement from Jones between now and the first exhibition game.

Agreed.

Because we have 3 exhibition games (not 4), I am guessing whichever QB starts and plays into the 2nd half of exhibition game #2 (just like exhibition game #3 used to be), will most likely start the season, and exhibition game #3 is the tryout for the players on the bubble (just like exhibition game #4 used to be).

Last edited:

I was at today's camp but first a bit of background: my wife is from Colombia and her in-laws have come to visit- 8 of them. Her sister's husband is a commando with the PNC in Colombia. They fight the cartels on a near daily basis.

Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to bring him to today's practice so he could see American football for himself (he had always been curious). So I spent most of the time trying to explain how the game worked, for him, and not much time watching.

But what I was able to see so far was that with Cam, it's the same old ****, same old indecisiveness, same dancing in the pocket. His mechanics seems better but I think more a product of injuries having healed than any sort of technical improvement. I do understand the media pundits are claiming he had a "strong finish" to today, but the same red flags we saw last season are still there.

Mac was up and down, especially on 11 on 11's but that's typical of rookies with a new playbook.

But- from what I saw, Mac's grasp of the nuances of the game, the finer points, the minute adjustments he made- is more substantial than Cam's is or ever was, and far more, I daresay. He used the old Brady alert audible (tapping the helmet with both hands) several times today in stimulated RZ 11 on 11's. His processing speed is noticeable and his throws are decisive.

Granted no pads today, but I liked what I saw. And all this on only the 2nd day of camp.

From Lazar:

Newton was six-of-ten in competitive 11-on-11s, with the best sequence of any quarterback in camp so far towards the end of the session.

Newton completed three consecutive passes starting with a beauty to running back Brandon Bolden out of the backfield. Bolden ran an option/out route on Josh Uche, and Newton placed the ball perfectly along the sideline as Bolden came out of his break. Cam also threw a touchdown working in the low red zone to Hunter Henry with Henry Anderson in his face.

And worth noting that in any actual game there will generally be one more defender in the box when Cam is QB to account for his running abilities. That of course likely won't show up in these unpadded practices. So this competition is far from over.

Reiss believes in order for Jones to be game 1 starter, he cant just be better than Cam through preseason, including games, but would have to be " decisively" better.
Which is what Ive figured all along, for several different reasons.
My guess is Mac will be slightly ahead by the 1st preseason game- and he will have to be much better than Cam in that game to named the starter. Remains to be seen.
Doesnt mean Mac couldnt unseat Cam somewhere along the reg. season, either thru injury or performance. Thats what most of us hope.
But I think Mac being game 1 starter is highly unlikely w/o an injury/illness to Cam.

Its just the 2nd day of practice. They are still in shorts and Tshirts. There is very little competition between the offense and defense because they are still installing aspects of both. THERE IS NO QB COMPETITION....yet. No opportunity for anyone to "deliver a knocik out punch". Lets see how they look on Monday or Tuesday when they put on pads and we see how the first offense looks against the first defense. (a competition that usually goes to the defense, early in the camp.)

All this posturing on Cam vs Mac is either wasted breath, or creating a narrative. An agenda as a means to an end. Hopefully the "competition" will ramp up next week, and then when they practice with the Eagles we will see it ramp up to a new level and THEN we might have enough data and observations to make a reasonable assessment of what's what.
, a
Until THAT happens, all this talk is a big yawn.

Right now I happy to see that Jones doesn't look lost out there (far from it if you ask Bedard) and Cam looks like he has a much better handle of the offense and if not throwing "accurately" he is throwing MORE accurately than he was at the end of season. Bedard commented that he had a number of great throws, but needs to do it more consistently. Again, shorts and TShirts, defenses reading off cards, no contact.

"He's missing a finger as a pass-catcher, he has those skinny legs, he's not a great athlete, and he wasn't recruited highly coming out. None of that seems to matter. He's a competitive guy. He's not pretty in the uniform like (Indiana tight end Ian Thomas), but you keep watching tape and he gets things done." -- Former Big Ten coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back