PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2019 Offseason rumors and speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d trade for him if he’s available though.

Just don't trade newly acquired receiver Antonio Brown (via San Francisco)…

freakin' off-season. Okay, OBJ to Pats. Fine. That's good. Hell, Randy Moss happened...

Belichick has signed numerous players with discipline issues that don’t fit the “Patriot Way”. I don’t think we can look at that as the determining factor.

I don't have any rumors, but non-Patriot UFA players that I like:

Pierre Garcon
John Brown
Kevin White
Tavon Austin (take Edelman off PR's and might replace Patterson as KR?)
Cody Latimer
Golden Tate

Tyler Eifert

Michael Johnson
Cameron Wake
Brandon Graham

Grady Jarrett
Brandon Mebane
Sheldon Richardson
Haloti Ngata

Thomas Davis
Deone Bucannon

Robbie Gould (if we lose Gostkowski)

Most of these players are either very old or very bad

Tavon Austin ************

I love the rumors that say we’re likely to do something. BB be like...

giphy.gif

Belichick has signed numerous players with discipline issues that don’t fit the “Patriot Way”. I don’t think we can look at that as the determining factor.
Not really. But it depends on how you define patriot way.

Get OBJ, it’s just the splash at WR that is needed. His contract is actually pretty reasonable when you factor in the $20 mil signing bonus already paid out by the Giants.
No he is not.

We’ve won 6 Super Bowl’s without having “the splash at WR that is needed.”

The two times we made a splash for one? Lost the Super Bowl both times.

I don't like Beckham's attitude and I wouldn't want him here.

I don't like his primadonna stuff either but I think he gets enough success etc.... if he came here that he would somehow fit in.

That said I like the AJ Green angle more.

Sign me up for Montcrief and Green with Edelman Gordon and A rook or Berrios that is a very good unit granted Gronk is back.

Last edited:
OBJ doesn’t even like to stay hydrated. He’s constantly cramping up and needing IVs because he claims that he’s not able to deal with the “squishy” feeling in his stomach from drinking water. He just doesn’t care for water.

I’m not making this up. He’s still a great talent, but he may have more issues than Antonio Brown does. If we’re throwing around pipe dream hypotheticals, AJ Green is a physical beast and he goes up and comes down with the ball. He’d be a difference maker.

You seem to be intimating that OBJ is not a difference maker. I hope that I am wrong because that is laughable. Especially at this point in their careers, OBJ, when healthy, is the superior WR and it’s not really that close, as great as Green is. His combination of route running and explosiveness is incredible. The guy can flat out take over a game. I would take OBJ over both Brown and Green without hesitation (over Brown mainly because of age and also I prefer OBJ’s personality....don’t think that Brown would fit as well, after being infected by the Steelers culture).

His versatility as a route runner would be perfect for the Pats offense. OBJ is truly a generational talent and, in my opinion, he and Julio are the the most physically gifted WRs in the league. He obviously has had his issues on and off the field but his competitiveness is off the charts, Brady-level. He definitely needs a change of scenery and most Giants fans admit that he wants out. He has been saddled with mediocre to poor coaching is entire career and I think that he would thrive in the structure of the patriots organization, working with Brady and BB.

Last edited:
He signed Albert Freaking Haynesworth
And it failed.
You will have a hard time finding many bad attitude guys that Belichick brought in. One is a mistake not a philosophy.

You seem to be intimating that OBJ is not a difference maker. I hope that I am wrong because that is laughable. Especially at this point in their careers, OBJ, when healthy, is the superior WR and it’s not really that close, as great as Green is. His combination of route running and explosiveness is incredible. The guy can flat out take over a game. I would take OBJ over both Brown and Green without hesitation (over Brown mainly because of age and also I prefer OBJ’s personality....don’t think that Brown would fit as well, after being infected by the Steelers culture).

His versatility as a route runner would be perfect for the Pats offense. OBJ is truly a generational talent and, in my opinion, he and Julio are the the most physically gifted WRs in the league. He obviously has had his issues on and off the field but his competitiveness is off the charts, Brady-level. He definitely needs a change of scenery and most Giants fans admit that he wants out. He has been saddled with mediocre to poor coaching is entire career and I think that he would thrive in the structure of the patriots organization, working with Brady and BB.
The most important ability for a player on the Patriots is "coachability". A guy who won't drink water because it hurts his tummy doesn't seem to fit that mold.

The most important ability for a player on the Patriots is "coachability". A guy who won't drink water because it hurts his tummy doesn't seem to fit that mold.

Either does a guy who went rogue on his team and set out to attack josh Norman just because he wasn’t winning the battle.

No he is not.

We’ve won 6 Super Bowl’s without having “the splash at WR that is needed.”

The two times we made a splash for one? Lost the Super Bowl both times.
We do not need an “alpha dog” WR. We have the ultimate alpha dog there already. Sure, Brown or Beckham are going to come to NE to play second fiddle to Edelman. Hell, JuJu had Brown in a snit.

The most attractive thing about OBJ, aside from obvious talent, is that he's locked up for years on a reasonable (given that talent) contract.

You seem to be intimating that OBJ is not a difference maker. I hope that I am wrong because that is laughable.
Not at all. I simply brought up his aversion to drinking water and the fact that he might be a bigger off the field headcase than Brown, so I’m not really sure what it is that you’re disagreeing with.

Of course he’s talented, and I agree that he’s a difference maker. I think both Green and Brown are cheaper options. In the end, it’s hard to imagine any of them on this team.

Patriots way is to focus on depth rather than acquiring all world cap busting talent

1. OBJ would be one more injury away from destroying depth on the team
2. I hope they focus on acquiring still young but proven talented players who won't break the bank like:
Grady Jarrett, Donte Moncrief, Deion Buchanon , Sheldon Richardson
3. Resign reliable free agents who won't break the bank like: John Simon, Gostkowski, Cordarelle Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes