PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2018 Draft Round 1 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Running back is a need with just Burkhead, White and Gillislee. Gillislee is one dimensional - this guy is a pass catching stud. His highlight video is great, and he doesn't have much wear & tear for an elite college back. This is a great selection to replace Dion Lewis.

Running back is a need with just Burkhead, White and Gillislee. Gillislee is one dimensional - this guy is a pass catching stud. His highlight films is great, and he doesn't have much wear & tear for an elite college back. This is a great selection to replace Dion Lewis.

In addition to being a great pass catcher and inside runner what goes a bit under is his ability in pass pro. Ironically it might be the most important trait at the same time.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how versatile he will make our offense next year. No way to tip off the play when he is on the field.

Running back is a need with just Burkhead, White and Gillislee. Gillislee is one dimensional - this guy is a pass catching stud. His highlight video is great, and he doesn't have much wear & tear for an elite college back. This is a great selection to replace Dion Lewis.
You forgot Jeremy Hill

If Michel improves his ball security and remains healthy, I think he's got a shot for OROY in this offense. He climbs to the next level and goes into an extra gear on top of the safeties better than any RB in this draft not named Barkley. He should also lessen the hits that Brady takes because the Patriots didn't have a RB on the roster that can consistently create extra yardage for himself between the tackles.

If Michel improves his ball security and remains healthy, I think he's got a shot for OROY in this offense. He climbs to the next level and goes into an extra gear on top of the safeties better than any RB in this draft not named Barkley. He should also lessen the hits that Brady takes because the Patriots didn't have a RB on the roster that can consistently create extra yardage for himself between the tackles.
And he’s excellent in blitz recognition/protection.

And he’s excellent in blitz recognition/protection.

22 reps at the Combine. He's strong. True 3 down RB. He'll thrive here given health. He absolutely has to work on ball security, though. That's a big time issue. He carries the ball low and away too often in traffic. That bad boy needs to be high and tight.

I don’t think the patriots have had a home runner hitter at RB in a while....Michel consistenly got to the opposing D’s second and third levels at Georgia.

I don’t think the patriots have had a home runner hitter at RB in a while....Michel consistenly got to the opposing D’s second and third levels at Georgia.

Lewis was close to being that in 2015. Michel has a better mix of speed and power, though. There was a game against Georgia Tech last season where he lowered his shoulder at the goal line and literally ran through three defenders for 6. Ball security is the primary issue with him.

My only concern is with how he adjusts from the zone blocking at UGA to the man blocking schemes we run here, but he does a good job recognizing mismatches so hopefully no hiccups there.

My only concern is with how he adjusts from the zone blocking at UGA to the man blocking schemes we run here, but he does a good job recognizing mismatches so hopefully no hiccups there.

He's also a very patient runner as well. I don't think the switch will be a big problem for him.

Anyone else happy the Steelers traded away Bryant? He was the one WR in the 2nd half of the year that got the better of Gilmore & he lengthens the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST