PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2018 Draft Round 1 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To nobody in particular...

Two solid picks, though I think they reached on Sony a little.

Wynn is a guard and won't play tackle, he is Shaq Mason insurance. Mason will get a massive contract next year that the Patriots probably won't match.
They have Waddle, Garcia and Croston who are better suited at tackle and Shaq probably already turned down an extension offer.

Sony will fit right in with Rex and White in rotation, Kamara is a good comparison even though he won't likely get those kind of snap counts.

The Patriots already made a huge move to shore up the actual weakness on the defense by acquiring Danny Shelton. There are a lot of good LBers left on the board along with other defenders as well as QB's.

Defensive speed can be addressed in the following rounds. I had Malik Jefferson ranked higher than Evans at weak side linebacker and Fred Warner a shade below Jefferson, there was no need to trade up.

Theres a lot of work left to be done, lets go Pats!

People criticizing the OL pick are the same ones who ***** and moan during game day threads about BB going cheap with the offensive line which cant protect and brady keeps getting hit . And we have lost solder too.
Yeah we couldve gotten jackson but if brady gets hurt because they didnt get any help on the oline or a RB who supposedly is good with blitz pickups, the season is over anyway .
this has been going on for 18 yrs. Patriots rarely make a pick everyone is happy about. Some work and some don't. Wait and see.

People criticizing the OL pick are the same ones who ***** and moan during game day threads about BB going cheap with the offensive line which cant protect and brady keeps getting hit . And we have lost solder too.
Yeah we couldve gotten jackson but if brady gets hurt because they didnt get any help on the oline or a RB who supposedly is good with blitz pickups, the season is over anyway .
this has been going on for 18 yrs. Patriots rarely make a pick everyone is happy about. Some work and some don't. Wait and see.

You get that they lose Solder at least in part because they wouldn't pay him, right?

You get that they lose Solder at least in part because they wouldn't pay him, right?
I agree but I dont know if they couldve paid what the giants did considering their current salary cap situation. Maybe they couldve but how it wouldve impacted other decisions i dont know.

Wynn is a guard and won't play tackle, he is Shaq Mason insurance. Mason will get a massive contract next year that the Patriots probably won't match.
They have Waddle, Garcia and Croston who are better suited at tackle and Shaq probably already turned down an extension offer.

Dont take it personally but there is a reason why a lot of OL experts think he can play tackle in the NFL. I trust people like Goeff Schwartz or Duke Manyweather because they have proven over many years that they understand what it takes to be a OL player:

Whether it will work out or not in the end we will see. But the way I see it Wynn is here to play LT until he shows he can't and Trent Brown is Marcus Cannon insurance as RT. The wildcard in it all is Garcia.

Dont take it personally but there is a reason why a lot of OL experts think he can play tackle in the NFL. I trust people like Goeff Schwartz or Duke Manyweather because they have proven over many years that they understand what it takes to be a OL player:

Whether it will work out or not in the end we will see. But the way I see it Wynn is here to play LT until he shows he can't and Trent Brown is Marcus Cannon insurance as RT. The wildcard in it all is Garcia.

And then Trent Brown...

Wynn was always a guard. There aren't a lot of 6'3" guards in the NFL for a reason.

And then Trent Brown...

Wynn was always a guard. There aren't a lot of 6'3" guards in the NFL for a reason.

That doesn't mean he wont be able to do it. Especially with so many real OL experts saying that he looks promising in that respect. Keep in mind we are not talking about pundits or some press people but ex-players and OL coaches.

Best case he will be able to do what Matt Light did. He has almost the same size but longer arms. If not he will likely be a borderline pro bowl guard and protect Brady against the dreaded A-Gap pressure. Either way it is a good pick.

That doesn't mean he wont be able to do it. Especially with so many real OL experts saying that he looks promising in that respect. Keep in mind we are not talking about pundits or some press people but ex-players and OL coaches.

Best case he will be able to do what Matt Light did. He has almost the same size but longer arms. If not he will likely be a borderline pro bowl guard and protect Brady against the dreaded A-Gap pressure. Either way it is a good pick.

I think he's athletic enough to play anywhere along the line, I also have faith that if Trent Brown doesn't take the job from Waddle, it will be because Waddle already lost the job to Garcia or Croston. Solder was the 17th pick, he sat as a rookie. Ideally rookies don't have to start.

Sometimes the truth interferes with the myth.

Sometimes the truth interferes with the myth.

I didn't mind the idea of getting Evans but off the ball LB aren't that valuable. Although Evans didn't run the 40, his other numbers match Christian Sam closely, even though Sam was carrying an extra 10 pounds.

I didn't mind the idea of getting Evans but off the ball LB aren't that valuable. Although Evans didn't run the 40, his other numbers match Christian Sam closely, even though Sam was carrying an extra 10 pounds.

After the big four had gone, Sam was my target. He was arguably the best remaining linebacker in terms of an all-around game (coverage, run defense) that fitted the Patriot prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back