PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OBJ to Pats—what do we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eggs-actly, RasMan. Dorsett & Patterson might not be as expensive to re-sign, unless one, some, or all of MIA, TEN, HOU, DET, ATL & TB decide to poach us in an attempt to bring in Pats With Rings into their buildings to help set the tone.

Best-possibly-realistic-case at WR:
Edelman - Golden Tate - Gordon (at low-risk wages)
Dorsett - Patterson - Rookie (a good one for a change, please)

Golden Tate would be awesome. I’m gonna get my hopes up about him for a couple months before I ultimately get disappointed when he goes somewhere else.

Only way I see anything like this happening is if Gronk retires. It frees up salary and we would need someone to put stress on opposing defences.

If Gronk retires and we don’t upgrade outside WR we’ll have troubles on O. We will need a legitimate threat that requires double coverage to keep the underneath stuff open for Edelman and James White.

I made a comment a few years ago that the Pats offense runs through Edelman (and was laughed at by some). So far, we have 3 super bowls with Edelman in the lineup and 2 super bowl losses where he didn't play or was not the featured receiver.

Given that the absence of Edelman was not the problem against the Eagles, and did nothing to help put the team over the top in 2011, perhaps we could avoid making such observations as yours.

Last edited:
I’m putting this in the “stranger things have happened “ category.

We know Belichick values what Beckham could bring to this team, and two years ago sent a 1st and 3rd to the Saints for Cooks trying to find it.

I also think the Giants will find a depressed trade market for him just as the Steelers are currently finding for Antonio Brown. I was listening to Colin Cowherd a couple of weeks ago, and he said an NFL executive had told him the best the Steelers could expect was a 2nd rounder for Brown. That might explain why the Steelers are backtracking on trading him, and Brown is keeping up the pressure to still be traded

Can’t think the Giants would be able to get much more for Beckham. Both of them are risky business. They can get GM and HC fired just as easily as they could work out. They can destroy a franchise’s QB plan pretty quickly too. That’s why I think this is possible.

Given that the absence of Edelman was not the problem against the Eagles, and did nothing to help put the team over the top in 2011, perhaps we could avoid making such observations as yours.

If you don't think Edelman would have helped against the Eagles, you are a bigger idiot than I thought. Edelman would have completely changed the way the Eagles defended our receivers, even if Amendola, Hogan, and Gronk put up good numbers. His presence would have allowed us to sustain drives and keep Foles from putting up 41 points against an average defense. My goodness - football is a complementary game. As far as 2011 is concerned, I clearly made an exception to when Edelman wasn't a featured receiver on the team, which he wasn't back then.

Last edited:
If you don't think Edelman would have helped against the Eagles, you are a bigger idiot than I thought. Edelman would have completely changed the way the Eagles defended our receivers, even if Amendola, Hogan, and Gronk put up good numbers. His presence would have allowed us to sustain drives and keep Foles from putting up 41 points against an average defense. My goodness - football is a complementary game. As far as 2011 is concerned, I clearly made an exception to when Edelman wasn't a featured receiver on the team, which he wasn't back then.

The Patriots and Eagles combined to put up 74 points in that game. Brady threw for over 500 yards, and the Patriots didn't have a single punt in the game. The loss was on the defense, in combination with one missed block by the OL. Only a fool would think Edelman not being there was the key to the loss, or that his addition would have guaranteed victory.

And Edelman was catching passes in the 2011 playoffs. He just didn't catch any in the super Bowl.

The Patriots and Eagles combined to put up 74 points in that game. Brady threw for over 500 yards, and the Patriots didn't have a single punt in the game. The loss was on the defense, in combination with one missed block by the OL. Only a fool would think Edelman not being there was the key to the loss, or that his addition would have guaranteed victory.

And Edelman was catching passes in the 2011 playoffs. He just didn't catch any in the super Bowl.

D0 me a favor and stop responding to me. I don't like you, and I stopped responding to you a long time ago unless you have something to say to me.

I NEVER said not having Edelman in the lineup was the main reason we lost to the Eagles. I said it was an important factor that was a game changer. Clearly, Brady is most comfortable with him of all the receivers. Edelman wouldn't have attempted to hurdle over Rodney McCloud and cost us a great scoring opportunity instead of a FG or lose his bearings and get knocked out of the game. He is Mr. Clutch in the playoffs. Edelman moves the chains as well as anyone on the Pats and we wouldn't have lost the TOP battle (35 to 25) against the Eagles.

And Edelman had 2 receptions in the 2011 playoffs. He was never the featured receiver that year.

The recent tweets are getting interesting. Didn’t know they had a bromance going.

Edleman is lights out when the full offense is on the field, as well. Meaning you need an entire offense for him to be most effective (this isn't any attempt to discredit him, either). Let alone needing the other side of the team to actually stop some scores.

D0 me a favor and stop responding to me. I don't like you, and I stopped responding to you a long time ago unless you have something to say to me.

The ignore button works, and you're welcome to use it.

I NEVER said not having Edelman in the lineup was the main reason we lost to the Eagles. I said it was an important factor that was a game changer.

And that's baseless speculation. Edelman didn't play a down for the Patriots in the 2017 season. The team went 13-3 and scored 28.5 ppg without him. And, again, they never even punted in the SB against the Eagles. Amendola, who was the Edelman replacement, caught 8 of 11 for 152, so the idea that Edelman was somehow going to be a game changing improvement above and beyond that is a practical absurdity, because it wasn't the offense that was the problem, because the Edelman (in this game the Amendola) position sure as hell wasn't the problem, and because Edelman is not a TD receiver, having only 5 in his playoff career, which means he likely wasn't changing FGs to TDs..

Edleman is lights out when the full offense is on the field, as well. Meaning you need an entire offense for him to be most effective (this isn't any attempt to discredit him, either). Let alone needing the other side of the team to actually stop some scores.

Yeah, Edelman's a hell of a player.

But, as we've seen since 2001, it's not a specific slot WR that's needed, because the team's been able to find guys who could really play the position well in the Patriots system. The "Slot" WR (Brown/Branch/Welker/Edelman/Amendola) has played well in every single Super Bowl in the Brady era.

Last edited:
Let’s give him the Cooks treatment. Send a first and some change and then trade him away for a late first after we win another SB.

Hold up, why would the Giants trade OBJ? Has there been any indication that NYG no longer wants OBJ on their team? I don't think this is realistic.

AJ Green as mentioned by someone else here makes much more sense. Bengals are going nowhere and he's in the last year of his contract. Much easier (though overall still difficult) to trade for a rental 31 years old WR than a 26 years old WR with multiple years left in his contract.

OBJ is extremely talented WR without a doubt but his personality and childish attitude drives me mad. However he is not going to be my friend so if he is on the same page with Brady I am ok with it. All in all I do not believe OBJ will join the Pats from many reasons.
Realistically I support Golden Tate or Demarius Thomas for reasonable price as FAs.If somehow Gordon gets another chance and we grab a WR via draft I will be on cloud nine .

Ya I’m on the AJ Green bandwagon.

Cincinnati will most likely rebuild and trade Dalton and AJ being a FA next year why wouldn’t you get something for him. Probably would have to outbid a teams like SF for him I’d give up a 2nd and 3rd for him

So let’s get the key information out; OBJ is a special talent who can take a slant route and take it for a TD. He’s electric and has unbelievable hands and releases from man to man. He demands double coverage wherever he is. He can run basically every single route that is needed.

The issues with Odell will be - has he grown up enough to be coached hard by BB. Is he willing to put in the time to learn the playbook. Reggie Wayne, Ocho couldn’t pick up the playbook and they are All Pro WRs who just couldn’t get it done when needed.

Would he be willing to take a pay cut? yes his contract is good for us trading for him but he would still need to take a pay cut. I think BB would be happy if we could get his contract between 12-15m a season.

Overall I’d love to have him here as he would bring another dynamic weapon who can get open, and provide us with his abilities, but I don’t think it will happen.

Now if we could look down the AJ Green route or Julio Jones I think they might be more achievable.

Hold up, why would the Giants trade OBJ? Has there been any indication that NYG no longer wants OBJ on their team?
I’m in NY and there’s been a lot of talk going on, mostly driven by the thought that the Giants will move on from Eli, and if they do whether they’d trade assets to load up for a rebuild. (But you’re right, it’s all smoke to this point.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes