PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OBJ to Pats—what do we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats don't need "me first" players who cry when the offense works in wins and they don't get touches. That isn't competitive. It's selfish, in a team sport.

He is now a highly paid primadonna with injury issues. That addition doesn't make the Pats better. It likely is the first step toward 2009 and all the locker room issues then. No thanks, at any price.

Cancer. No thanks. No point in putting all that capital into a wide reciever anyway

I still want to resign both Patterson and dorsett if we can get them on the cheap. Even though his route running isn’t the best Patterson shows value to the offense on sweeps, and is able to be used in the backfield in a pinch. Plus he’s a dynamic return man. With dorsett, I think he’s a little better than hogan at this stage, knows the offense and can be a useful #4 wr. I think we add another wr through FA and also in the draft.

If not OBJ who is an impact WR we could conceivably sign/trade for. Especially if Gronk retires. So no Kenny Brits or Jordan Matthews please.

If not OBJ who is an impact WR we could conceivably sign/trade for. Especially if Gronk retires. So no Kenny Brits or Jordan Matthews please.

AJ Green as mentioned by luuked.

No. See, Odell is a system receiver. If the gints didn’t have an elaborate nfl system, complete with routes and play designs. He’d suck

Why would we go after an “impact WR”? It’s never been part of the formula.
Sure if one fell in our lap like Moss did, great, but it isn’t really a priority here.

WR yes

OBJ no

The offense is inside out, not outside in

Randy Moss says Hi. Brandin Cooks also did really well here for a year.

It's not that New England doesn't need speedy receivers, it's just that we need speedy receivers who GET our complicated option offense.

OBJ is an elite receiver and because of his route running skills, I feel he is intelligent enough to pick up the Pats system.

It all depends on the ransom we'd have to give up, but OBJ in the Pats offense would simply be deadly. It will be like 2007 all over again. Except we'd win the Superbowl this time because we also have Edelman to make the clutch 3rd down grabs instead of Welker who put up great regular season numbers but couldn't really deliver in the clutch.

Why would we go after an “impact WR”? It’s never been part of the formula.
Sure if one fell in our lap like Moss did, great, but it isn’t really a priority here.

I’m in agreement. This guy is just not a patriot.

All we need is a few guys who could come from almost anywhere. That and our practice nets already married to me so he should kick rocks

The Next One

I usually won’t do this but look.

We’re going to win 7 next year and then I see massive change. Don’t get it twisted, these guys believe they can set the record. I see no reason not to try. Thing is, next year, we’re winning again but I see an end after seven for this roster.

Randy Moss says Hi. Brandin Cooks also did really well here for a year.

It's not that New England doesn't need speedy receivers, it's just that we need speedy receivers who GET our complicated option offense.

OBJ is an elite receiver and because of his route running skills, I feel he is intelligent enough to pick up the Pats system.

It all depends on the ransom we'd have to give up, but OBJ in the Pats offense would simply be deadly. It will be like 2007 all over again. Except we'd win the Superbowl this time because we also have Edelman to make the clutch 3rd down grabs instead of Welker who put up great regular season numbers but couldn't really deliver in the clutch.

...and 2007 proved defenses finally caught up with the Patriots' offense.

Randy Moss was fine when he didn't start complaining about touches.

You could argue the offense struggled at times because Cooks couldn't run all the routes efficiently.

So you are on the Wes Welker sucks train too. Great. Lets blame him for both SB losses.

Except we'd win the Superbowl this time because we also have Edelman to make the clutch 3rd down grabs instead of Welker who put up great regular season numbers but couldn't really deliver in the clutch.

You were doing fine until you got to this point. Then you lost your damn mind.

I usually won’t do this but look.

We’re going to win 7 next year and then I see massive change. Don’t get it twisted, these guys believe they can set the record. I see no reason not to try. Thing is, next year, we’re winning again but I see an end after seven for this roster.
Why?

I’m trying to remember how crazy Chad Johnson / Ochocinqo was before he came to New England. Comparable to OBJ? If so, I think we can get around his “me first” attitude which has to be compounded by his frustration of having to play with Eli Manning.

Of course, Ochocinqo wasn’t able to learn the playbook, so not a great comparison, but I’d have more faith in Beckham (maybe).

My main issue would not be wanting to tie up to much cap space in a WR. But if it’s reasonable, I think it’s worth the character issue risk.

I’m trying to remember how crazy Chad Johnson / Ochocinqo was before he came to New England. Comparable to OBJ? If so, I think we can get around his “me first” attitude which has to be compounded by his frustration of having to play with Eli Manning.

Of course, Ochocinqo wasn’t able to learn the playbook, so not a great comparison, but I’d have more faith in Beckham (maybe).

My main issue would not be wanting to tie up to much cap space in a WR. But if it’s reasonable, I think it’s worth the character issue risk.
For me it's the draft pick compensation.
That's why I'd rather have Montcrief and Conley over one Beckham

Correlation is not causation. If Eli is sacked in Super Bowl 42 we win with Moss and if Welker makes a catch in 46 we win with Gronk.

Yeah but it’s not like our offense put up great numbers in SB 42 even if Eli is sacked or in SB46. Our offense doesn’t seem to work as well in the playoffs with those type of receivers. I thought Gordon getting suspended again helped our team, simply because Brady wasn’t zeroing in on him all the time or pressing to get him involved in the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back