PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.T. Gettlemen to leave Giants

Why would BB leave what he just built to go an try to make another team a contender?
I'm not sure that he would except that the Giants hold a special place in his heart and winning there as a HC/GM might be appealing to him as he nears the end of his career.

Why would BB leave what he just built to go an try to make another team a contender?

Gettleman absolutely ruined the Giants. Barkely should never have been drafted 2nd overall and Daniel jones that high. And on top of that, they draft andrew thomas over Justin Herbert and last year traded down with Mac still on the board. those are at least 2-3 fireable offenses.

Last edited:
First, Belichick just can't leave. He has a contract. Not sure Kraft would let Belichick walk unless multiple first rounders were involved.

Second, the Giants are a mess. He will have to completely redo the roster. That will take years. And they are only projected to have under $4 million in cap space next year as of right now. From what I can see from Over the Cap, they don't have a huge amount of cap flexibility to free up a lot of money either.

Third, he has no options at QB. This year's crop of QB prospects are awful and there are many teams QB starved. So cannot get into the Rodgers, Wilson, Watson market for a QB because they don't have the cap space and I don't think any of these guys want to come to NY.

Fourth, the Pats are a potential Super Bowl contender this year. Year one in the Mac Jones era. Odds are good this team will get better in the next few years. This is a better situation to achieve two things he wants to do before he retires - win a Super Bowl without Brady and break Shula's record.

You can wish all you want but it isn’t going to happen.
AM wants BB gone? I know he's a TB12 < BB guy but didn't think he was anti-BB?

If Bill was ever considering going back to the Giants, now would be the time.

Bill might not go there. But he might try go hook Steve up with a job on the Giants.

I don't think anyone believes Steve is quite ready for a HC job, but he's getting to the point where you might consider him a candidate for an open DC position. He's been given a few different defensive coaching assignments and hasn't looked bad as a coach in any of them.

Which is, of course, the job BB held on the Giants all those years ago.

Third, he has no options at QB. This year's crop of QB prospects are awful and there are many teams QB starved. So cannot get into the Rodgers, Wilson, Watson market for a QB because they don't have the cap space and I don't think any of these guys want to come to NY.
If you take a job as GM of the giants you're not doing it to win next year dude. everyone understands there's a mess to clean up.

With that said, Daniel Jones isn't THAT bad. He's a serviceable fringe starter who would play a lot better if he had time in the pocket. If I'm taking over the Giants my first thing to fix is the OL. They have a strong-when-healthy running back and a QB who's getting destroyed on the field. OL is priority #1 to get that offense working a bit better, and I don't think you need to bring in studs to see improvement on that line, just bring in some young players with some fire and a OL coach who knows what he's doing. so that should be an area where you can make real improvements on a tight budget.

Defensively I'd prioritize a shutdown Corner in the draft and work on the linebacker corps. Again, this is an area where you can make some additions by subtraction fairly easily, especially with a good DC and secondary coaching. The short term goal is to limit the opponent's ability to make chunk plays, so Corner and Safety are the two most important positions on defense.

If the goal isn't necessarily to win next year but instead to make multiple fundamental improvements to the Giants roster, that should be doable, especially if you can bring in some good scouts from the old org.

If you take a job as GM of the giants you're not doing it to win next year dude. everyone understands there's a mess to clean up.

With that said, Daniel Jones isn't THAT bad. He's a serviceable fringe starter who would play a lot better if he had time in the pocket. If I'm taking over the Giants my first thing to fix is the OL. They have a strong-when-healthy running back and a QB who's getting destroyed on the field. OL is priority #1 to get that offense working a bit better, and I don't think you need to bring in studs to see improvement on that line, just bring in some young players with some fire and a OL coach who knows what he's doing. so that should be an area where you can make real improvements on a tight budget.

Defensively I'd prioritize a shutdown Corner in the draft and work on the linebacker corps. Again, this is an area where you can make some additions by subtraction fairly easily, especially with a good DC and secondary coaching. The short term goal is to limit the opponent's ability to make chunk plays, so Corner and Safety are the two most important positions on defense.

If the goal isn't necessarily to win next year but instead to make multiple fundamental improvements to the Giants roster, that should be doable, especially if you can bring in some good scouts from the old org.

But Belichick is already in year 2 of a rebuilding process. Why would he want to go back to zero with a lot of overpriced players who may not fit his system with a mediocre QB and having to rebuild almost everything?

Belichick is going to be 70 next season. He has already rebuilt the Patriots to be a contender in the AFC. He is only pieces away from making this team elite again. Hell, if the team keeps getting better, they could be elite and even win the Super Bowl this season. Why would he want to start over? With the Pats, he could have a Super Bowl and Shula's record in several years. With the Giants, it could take far longer. He is 41 wins away from Shula's record. Say the Pats win 5 more games including the playoffs this season. Then he is only 36 wins away. It is conceivable that he could pass Shula in three more with the Pats. With the Giants, it would take at least two or three years longer.

From everything I have seen he lives for the anti Belichick garbage, and that’s the driving force behind his thread.
I'll have to keep a closer eye on this perceived passive- aggressive behavior towards BB.

Belichick
When did I mention Belichick? II was just talking about how the next GM of the Giants should tackle the problem and how I felt it wasn't insurmountable.

When did I mention Belichick? II was just talking about how the next GM of the Giants should tackle the problem and how I felt it wasn't insurmountable.

The premise of this from the OP is that could be the time for Belichick to jump ship to go to the Giants.

Any team can be turned around if you get the right team in place if the owner gives them enough time to figure it out. I think the Giants are in worse shape than you, but nothing is insurmountable.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back