PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.T. Gettlemen to leave Giants

Extremely unlikely, but I dont see anything wrong with this. If there is one place he could is there and there are some interesting circumstances.

But first, the Giants would have to give up a TON for the contract. Then we have to wonder, how much would it cost, for how long and how much power would BB have (and doesnt he have it here?)

anyway, I liked it people bashing on this post need to remember that just because you dont like it, doesnt mean its not valid
but you just explained why its not valid in a nutshell

- Giants are a mess, need to draft/sign a bunch of decent players
- Giants would have to give up tangible draft assets to land BB
- so it makes no sense to go to a team in need of rebuilding that was just stripped of several high level draft picks by trading for the coach

- so it makes no sense to go to a team in need of rebuilding that was just stripped of several high level draft picks by trading for the coach
In this scenario, BBs heart set to the giants, maybe itsna 20 year plan where he gradually abdicates of power, until becoming part owner

Look, in a hypothetical land, a lot is possible. Calling it "the stupidesr thing ive read" (i know iit Wasnt u) is a bit much and i wanted to support a thought i did not had considered

Extremely unlikely, but I dont see anything wrong with this. If there is one place he could is there and there are some interesting circumstances.

But first, the Giants would have to give up a TON for the contract. Then we have to wonder, how much would it cost, for how long and how much power would BB have (and doesnt he have it here?)

anyway, I liked it people bashing on this post need to remember that just because you dont like it, doesnt mean its not valid

I don’t like it because I’m tired of people rehashingnthe same sh.t that never happens over and over and over and over. But it isn’t valid because there is literally no chance of it happening. People have been making the same argument here every time the Giants job has opened for twenty years, and now it has the least chance ever because Belichick is only a few years from hanging them up. At a certain point people need to accept the reality of it, Belichick is not going to the Giants.

In this scenario, BBs heart set to the giants, maybe itsna 20 year plan where he gradually abdicates of power, until becoming part owner

Look, in a hypothetical land, a lot is possible. Calling it "the stupidesr thing ive read" (i know iit Wasnt u) is a bit much and i wanted to support a thought i did not had considered
I saw Larry Fitzgerald at Logan yesterday, mark my words he will be starting at WR for them next week.

Adam Seward anyone?

I don’t like it because I’m tired of people rehashingnthe same sh.t that never happens over and over and over and over. But it isn’t valid because there is literally no chance of it happening. People have been making the same argument here every time the Giants job has opened for twenty years, and now it has the least chance ever because Belichick is only a few years from hanging them up. At a certain point people need to accept the reality of it, Belichick is not going to the Giants.
You know, i dont think anything in the future is for certain.... like, a guy eats a bat and the world goes to hell is a crazy world...

Sill, obviously it would be the biggest surprise iN the history of sports, not even exagerating

You know, i dont think anything in the future is for certain.... like, a guy eats a bat and the world goes to hell is a crazy world...

Sill, obviously it would be the biggest surprise iN the history of sports, not even exagerating

When Belichick was in his late 50’s and even his early 60’s it was a reasonable question, but at this point in his career, and the context he’s in both with this team / franchise, and historically it literally makes no sense whatsoever, unless he suddenly decides his legscy and accomplishments don’t matter, and something tells me that will never be the case. He’s not going to walk away from his coaches and players and home simply to coach or run the Giants, he already has the best job on football, and absolute control over it, leaving simply makes zero sense.

I unfortunately do think some things are certain. And you know what I’m talking about Jessica Alba!

OK, here is how certain I am of this. If I am wrong and Belichick goes to NY then Ian can ban me for life. But if Belichick stays with the Patriots then Ian bans Triumph and DropKickFlutie for life.

Do we have a deal Jay?

Ivan continues to be an absolute clown who has never posted a good football opinion in his life.

We missed you in the GD thread after the Pats picked it up again. It's crazy, they were playing well, you were nowhere to be found, they had several bad series and you were out there beating your decaying horse. Then, they started playing better and poof, you disappeared. It's almost like you aren't a real fan and would rather be right than see the Pats win.

No, no, it's not the dumbest thing ever, but it's def top 10

Some really good discussion in this thread. I do think it is a possibility but obviously remote. The Pats have put a transition plan in place with the personnel people they brought in and Patricia too. The question is what is Bill's time frame? I have to believe he is beyond thrilled with Mac's progression this year. Does that make him push things out and tell Kraft 5 more years? Or is he contented that the Pats are back to being contenders with a young Qb and go back to NY which holds a special place in his heart.

Why can't you quote a full post to save your life?

It’s deliberate, he knows how bad it will make him look if he actually posts what was said. He’s also incapable of making any coherent argument. At no point in this thread does he make any point on why Belichick going to the Giants would make any sense.

Not to mention BB resigned as HC of the NYJ because he wasn't comfortable with the ownership structure, and the same would be true with the Maras wanting their guys implanted throughout the organization. They hired Gettleman not because he was a good GM, but because he was one of their guys. That would not cut it with BB.

It has been 30 years since Belichick was associated with that organization. Any chance that he would have gone there has long since come and gone.

Bill is more likely to go to Tampa and coach Brady again than he is to coach for the Giants in their current state. If he were 50 and a DC somewhere, then you'd have a case (that's basically what happened here. DC, promoted to HC, taking over an organization that needs an overall). But he's 70, and has just started the rebuild here. This isn't even the best year (in theory) for him to win with this group. Years 2 and 3 for Mac are going to be ripe with opportunity while he continues to grow but his salary doesn't. Bill isn't giving that up just because he has nostalgia for the Giants.

I'd be more worried about the "depth" coaches and front office guys getting poached than the top end. Garrett is gone, and I'd expect the two remaining coaches that he brought over from Dallas to also be gone this offseason. Gettlemen's departure could be bad news for some of the incumbent coaches that Judge left in place when he was hired.

I understand that coaches want some familiarity with the guys that they're hiring, but it's a little absurd to me that Judge currently employs nine coaches who overlapped with him either at Mississippi State (2004-2007) or Alabama (2009-2011). At some point, he's going to run out of former college coworkers and have to start going after more of his former Patriots coworkers. He already hired Patrick Graham, Jerry Schuplinski, and Bret Bielema (who didn't finish his first season in NY).

Off the top of my head, Nick Caley has been mentioned a few times as a top internal option if McDaniels leaves. He would have worked closely with Judge especially in 2019 when Caley was TEs and Judge was WRs.

I know we're downplaying it, but in the off chance the club wins the Super Bowl and the Giants want to make a change, it wouldn't shock me if Belichick decided to go there if they let Judge go. After all, he would have won a ring with 2 different QBs. What's left to prove? And Kraft would definitely let him walk since the franchise is set for the future.

I'd be surprised if Belichick would want to take that on at his age, but that would be the only scenario that would probably have to happen for it to even be a possibility. But unless they win it all this year, I definitely don't see him going anywhere.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back