PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O.T. Gettlemen to leave Giants

But Belichick is already in year 2 of a rebuilding process. Why would he want to go back to zero with a lot of overpriced players who may not fit his system with a mediocre QB and having to rebuild almost everything?

Belichick is going to be 70 next season. He has already rebuilt the Patriots to be a contender in the AFC. He is only pieces away from making this team elite again. Hell, if the team keeps getting better, they could be elite and even win the Super Bowl this season. Why would he want to start over? With the Pats, he could have a Super Bowl and Shula's record in several years. With the Giants, it could take far longer. He is 41 wins away from Shula's record. Say the Pats win 5 more games including the playoffs this season. Then he is only 36 wins away. It is conceivable that he could pass Shula in three more with the Pats. With the Giants, it would take at least two or three years longer.

I pretty much agree with this. Belichick spent years turning the entire Patriots football organization into exactly the model he wanted to build, and he maintained years ago that he wouldn’t be coaching in his 70’s ( the Marc Levy comment). I think he’s reconsidered coaching into his 70’s and he will coach for a few more years, but I doubt he will go to or past 75, and I don’t think there is any way he will go start over in N.Y., unless Kraft manages to f.ck it up somehow.

Ultimately I think the biggest driving force for him now is not the wins record but winning a Lombardi with a QB other than Brady. I think Brady winning in Tampa Bay really put that onus on Belichick. That and leaving the Patriots as a championship caliber team are his biggest goals before hanging them up. I don’t think he would hang around just for the wins record, but if he can get it in a reasonable time frame he will take it.

Gettleman absolutely ruined the Giants. Barkely should never have been drafted 2nd overall and Daniel jones that high. And on top of that, they draft andrew thomas over Justin Herbert and last year trade down with Mac still on the board. those are at least 2-3 fireable offenses.

In Gettleman's defense, neither he nor anyone else would've drafted Herbert or Mac after drafting Danny Jones... Not saying that Barkley & Thomas were the right picks either...

Daniel Jones isn't anywhere near the primary reason the Giants aren't winning Superbowls anytime soon. Putting an elite QB on this team is basically putting lipstick on a pig, if the lipstick was made out of the distilled tragedy of wasted careers.

I'm not sure that he would except that the Giants hold a special place in his heart and winning there as a HC/GM might be appealing to him as he nears the end of his career.
He has so much going here for him. Full control of the football operation, something the Maras would be uncomfortable with. Coaches he has picked and trained, yes, including JMacD whom he recently praised. Players who he picked to fit his system including Mac Jones, Judon, Philips, Dugger, etc. An owner who largely stays in the background and presumably pays him what he's worth. NYG has mediocre talent everywhere you look. Coaches, players, front office, etc. He could not just transplant everything he has here in NYC. It'd be a sh!t show with a media circus that already hates him and his legacy. All things a 70 year old dude doesn't need in his life.

Daniel Jones isn't anywhere near the primary reason the Giants aren't winning Superbowls anytime soon. Putting an elite QB on this team is basically putting lipstick on a pig, if the lipstick was made out of the distilled tragedy of wasted careers.
DJ fits the cast of players around him, largely mediocre, thus Gettleman's departure.

Gettleman absolutely ruined the Giants. Barkely should never have been drafted 2nd overall and Daniel jones that high. And on top of that, they draft andrew thomas over Justin Herbert and last year trade down with Mac still on the board. those are at least 2-3 fireable offenses.
Anyone having a role in making Jason Garrett the OC deserves to walk the plank.

The outcome was 100% predictable, just like Jason's offense.

A new Giants GM is probably going to want to hire his own HC.

DJ fits the cast of players around him, largely mediocre, thus Gettleman's departure.

Anyone having a role in making Jason Garrett the OC deserves to walk the plank.

The outcome was 100% predictable, just like Jason's offense.

Garrett wasn’t the biggest problem. Their offensive line was and that is on gettleman.

In Gettleman's defense, neither he nor anyone else would've drafted Herbert or Mac after drafting Danny Jones... Not saying that Barkley & Thomas were the right picks either...

once you learn your QB is mediocre, you have to move on. Kudos to WFT for dumping Haskins even though he was a first round pick.

I could be wrong RW but that’s what I have seen from him. I’m also sick to death of that sh.t so my tolerance for it is low.
The idea that BB would jump ship to a perennial sh*t show after he got what looks like the QB steal of the draft, the DL steal of the draft, and a great running back and has the team on a 5 game winning streak with control of the division, seems so stupid and ludicrous that I can't believe someone thought it was even a good idea to post.

Predicting what BB is going to do is pretty tough. I hope he stays and would be surprised/shocked if he didnt. But two first round picks for a coach entering his 70’s wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. What would be the worst is if his successor screwed things up royally which wouldnt’t surprise me at all. In other words I really hope he stays and this is just boted talk but you knee it would come up once there was an opening.

1. It was clear Gettleman was terrible when you saw him on draft day in his attic not even knowing how to navigate a computer.
2. Giants are a mess, will take 3 years to fix their cap and messed up salaries.
3. No chance Bill leaves after just rebuilding the foundation for his next possible ring.

Predicting what BB is going to do is pretty tough. I hope he stays and would be surprised/shocked if he didnt. But two first round picks for a coach entering his 70’s wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. What would be the worst is if his successor screwed things up royally which wouldnt’t surprise me at all. In other words I really hope he stays and this is just boted talk but you knee it would come up once there was an opening.
Worth monitoring.
McDaniels and Mac seem joined at the hip.
Kraft isn't going to let that go.
I would love to see Belichick stay here 5 more years.
But the succession plan makes sense.
BB goes to the Giants as GM and head coach He makes his friend Assistant head coach and names his son DC and defensive back coach.
McDaniels retains Mayo as DC and McDaniels is calling plays.
I don't think this is going to happen but I think BBs love and affinity for the Giants is the only remote possibility he can be pried loose from the Patriots.

I'm going to miss Gettleman vs the nerds. Guy did himself no favors in the PR dept lol. You can't be threatened by analytics esp in football. It's never going to "take over" like baseball and this guy was seriously in his attic worried about nerds coming for his job. And he takes Barkley #2 overall lol. gettleman.gifgettleman.gif

Why would Bill go to NY when he is putting on COY show here and drafting has turned around. They would have to give him 50mil a year and no one is worth that.

Worth monitoring.
McDaniels and Mac seem joined at the hip.
Kraft isn't going to let that go.
I would love to see Belichick stay here 5 more years.
But the succession plan makes sense.
BB goes to the Giants as GM and head coach He makes his friend Assistant head coach and names his son DC and defensive back coach.
McDaniels retains Mayo as DC and McDaniels is calling plays.
I don't think this is going to happen but I think BBs love and affinity for the Giants is the only remote possibility he can be pried loose from the Patriots.
I ended this that I don't think it's going to happen but the only REMOTE possibility he can be pried loose from us is the Giants.
How can anyone argue this?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back