PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NY Mets/Jete Fans upset over Brady’s “Tom Terrific” trademark application lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty hilarious considering the contrived outrage over this stupidity.

Jesus, ...Norman and those 2 dopes. Must have been great radio...and I'm not referring to anyone's politics.

"Fight tooth and nail" :rolleyes:

If Esiason feels so strongly about Tom Seaver's nickname, why didn't he take some action or reach out to Seaver about it decades ago. The concept of trademarking sports related phrases, like "three-peat" or "refuse to lose," isn't new. Esiason could have done some work in the 90s or 2000s and wouldn't need to be so outraged now.

Pretty hilarious considering the contrived outrage over this stupidity.

There were a bunch of old fart Miracle Mets (1969 Champs) fans taking their walkers to some dive bar and protesting, talking up the ‘69 glory year (that sounds so pronographic.)

50 years ago. 1969.

To put it in perspective, this would be like us in 2069, being a bunch of sore losers, protesting because some guy in 2069 is filing for a TM for “Squirrel”, “Hoodie” or some other nickname that, frankly, the person could have TM’d years and years ago.

Trademarks don’t mean you can’t use the phrase, or in some cases mean you can’t even bar others from selling the phrase (like with Seaver), provided their use of the phrase isn’t being used to imitate yours.

Seaver/Mets fans are completely uneffected by this. But I guess watching TB12 for 20 years has warped their minds into mush.

How Patents Differ from Copyrights and Trademarks - FindLaw

Trademarks give the owner exclusive use of certain images and phrases, and the right to prevent others from using a similar mark that would confuse consumers about who was producing the goods or services the consumer was buying.

Looks like the NY media didn't bother to do a basic Google search of what a trademark actually is (and how it differs from a copyright or patent). Good thing Tom Brady could explain the basics of a trademark to them in two sentences...it's not like it's their job to know the meaning of the main legal term they're writing about.

Last edited:
"Fight tooth and nail" :rolleyes:

If Esiason feels so strongly about Tom Seaver's nickname, why didn't he take some action or reach out to Seaver about it decades ago. The concept of trademarking sports related phrases, like "three-peat" or "refuse to lose," isn't new. Esiason could have done some work in the 90s or 2000s and wouldn't need to be so outraged now.
Of course, it's such a phony effort. With all of the worthy causes and initiatives which are, and have been for decades, available this is the one he chooses to become enraged and engaged about? Fraud...

....that being said, I do hope TB12 donates the trademark to the Seaver family.

Except it’s virtually worthless. Or does the Seaver estate also plan to use it to stop all the knockoffs of his merchandise that claim to be from him? This is an authentication device used for commercial trade. It has no value outside of its ability to halt the misrepresentation of a product’s authenticity. It changes nothing about Seaver’s nickname.

Jesus, ...Norman and those 2 dopes. Must have been great radio...and I'm not referring to anyone's politics.

What are they going to do? Talk about Jete training camp?

What are they going to do? Talk about Jete training camp?
Well, it's a Boston station and Boom-boom is a huge hockey fan, so...maybe the Bruins?

Except it’s virtually worthless. Or does the Seaver estate also plan to use it to stop all the knockoffs of his merchandise that claim to be from him? This is an authentication device used for commercial trade. It has no value outside of its ability to halt the misrepresentation of a product’s authenticity. It changes nothing about Seaver’s nickname.

And this is why the buffoon Esasion looks like "old man yells at clouds" on this

Brady wasn't looking to start a big media/merchandise campaign with "Tom Terrific". He was simply looking to get a court order to stop people from using "Tom Terrific".

Seaver has no use for it, why not let Brady have it? Seaver copped it himself from the kids' cartoon show, so he didn't exactly invent the title.
Yes, Yes, Yes, and winner

I'm really not trying to be a contrarian but personally I'm not a fan of this - it's a bad look. Tom's 'brand' wasn't going to be harmed by him being called Tom Terrific but it is hardly a name I've heard applied to him with any regularity and tbh he should have just left it alone.

Slam your finger here to dislike this post ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------v

This is so silly.

I'm really not trying to be a contrarian but personally I'm not a fan of this - it's a bad look. Tom's 'brand' wasn't going to be harmed by him being called Tom Terrific but it is hardly a name I've heard applied to him with any regularity and tbh he should have just left it alone.

Slam your finger here to dislike this post ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------v

Of the shyt that should have been left alone you pick this topic?

Of the shyt that should have been left alone you pick this topic?

I'm not going to put my head in the sand and just say it's no big deal because he's my hero.

The name has been used most often for someone else. Tom's got it all - he doesn't need this. He already terrorizes NY sports fans enough as it is, let them have their name for Seaver.

I'm not going to put my head in the sand and just say it's no big deal because he's my hero.

The name has been used most often for someone else. Tom's got it all - he doesn't need this. He already terrorizes NY sports fans enough as it is, let them have their name for Seaver.
I think you need to catch up on current events ..

You don’t get a Dislike because that would be letting you off too easy. You’ll just have to live in skittish paranoia of the ultimate punishment you’ll receive when the council deems (unbeknownst to you) that the time is right :cool:

If Brady got the copyright and refused to allow Seaver to use it I'd have something to say. Other than that this is just him copyrighting a name used to describe him so that others cannot for financial gain.

If those fans were so concerned for protecting Seaver's name they could have copyrighted it on their own behalf years ago but they didn't give a shyt until now.

If those fans were so concerned for protecting Seaver's name they could have copyrighted it on their own behalf years ago but they didn't give a shyt until now.

I actually, genuinely like you.

So I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Look it's pretty simple. A term of endearment that has been used most-often for an athlete shouldn't be require fan action to stop another athlete who has pretty much never been addressed with said term of endearment from going into his Scrooge McDuck vault of gold and pulling out 12 lawyers to trademark it.

Let's assume 'Big Papi' isn't trademarked. I don't know if it is because even trying to google stuff about baseball puts me to sleep. In 30 years some gorgeous QB for some rival team decides to trademark it because someone somewhere called him Papi once you know, you fucking know all the Sox fans still alive would be apoplectic and with good cause. It would probably be the only time in the history of everything that I was on the side of Red Sox fans.

Saying 'welp they should have hired a lawyer' is man...it's just such a lame defense.

I’d be pissed if someone sold merchandise and made money on something that was clearly meant to refer to me but got around paying for the rights by using a moniker or something *just* vague enough to not legally be considered my name or likeness. I’d do whatever I could to stop that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back