PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now Tim Tebow wants out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still stand by my belief that a quarterback who makes scrambling his best attribute will never win a Super Bowl.

What about when 7 years from now all 32 starting quarterbacks will make scrambling their best attribute? Will no one win the superbowl? ;)

Not to mention, didn't Ben win two? I'd say his best attribute is his ability to scramble and extend the play.

Last edited:
Extending the play...sure, most good quarterbacks do that. Brady does that. Not as well, of course. But Roethlisberger makes his living as a passer, not a runner.

I don't agree with your assessment but I will just say this as far as your 1 and done deal:

RG3, top 10 in NFL stats running the spread option.
Colin Kaepernic, top 10 in NFL stats running the spread option. Replaced a very efficient WCO game manager and pocket passer.
Russel Wilson, top 10 in the NFL stats running the spread option. Usurped a pocket passer with a huge contract.
Cam Newton, moderate success running the spread option.

3 out of 4 are in the top 10 in the NFL.
3 out of 4 of those teams are going to the playoffs.

Out of those guys only 2 have NFL caliber accuracy and releases. Wilson and Cam don't. I don't believe that Cam Newton or Russel Wilson is any better at reading defenses than Tebow.

It's one thing for Cassel to go from our system to someone else's, but the spread option has proved successful for a lot of different style quarterbacks and Tebow is one of the best at running a spread option.

I want to see him running an NFL level spread option, like all those other quarterbacks, before I will agree he's no good at this level. Those other guys are getting their amazing completion % that are rivaling our HOF quarterbacks due to the spread option offense, not because they are that damn accurate. The scheming just makes it so much easier to complete passes.

Here I will just quote what Urban Meyer said recently:

"I don't get to watch much pro football during the season, but my offensive staff at Ohio State put together cutups of all these NFL quarterbacks: Cam Newton, the 49ers quarterback [Kaepernick], Russell Wilson and RG III [Robert Griffin III]. We watched four hours of film. That is the spread offense. It's not just a version of it. Tim is a spread offensive quarterback. He can run the spread as well as anybody in college football history. The only question is whether you can do it on a consistent level in the NFL. No one has been able to do that yet. But there are teams out there now running it. I had no idea until I saw all that film."

The issue isn't that Tim Tebow can't run an NFL offense or that he inaccurate or has issues with his mechanics. It's that the coaching staff he has worked with either refused or didn't develop the spread option offense for him. Everyone keeps trying to make him do something else, while all these other kids are getting praised for the fact their teams have bet the farms on the spread option and making it very easy on them to transition to the NFL.

Why shouldn't Tebow get this same opportunity if it is proving you can cut through NFL defenses like a hot knife through butter with it and make the playoffs with freaking rookies? He already did the same in a makeshift version of it in Denver, created by a staff in one bye week, that didn't really believe in it, who have primarily ran old school NFL offenses, and mainly relied primarily on the read option, rushing aspects of it.

I think he's earned a chance too. And there are far too many BAD NFL offenses with BAD pro style quarterbacks for someone not to give this a shot when it's clearly working. Even if it's for 1 year to the playoffs, it's still worth it.

Changed the emphasis to underscore the significance of what he stated. Let's see what next season brings. Because I have a feeling unless these guys are wired to develop their passing game which already seems to be beyond anything Tebow has exhibited to date they are going to have trouble maintaining their success on all but a handful of teams built to win with elite defense... The league catches up and injuries mount often just around the time these guys are signing their second deal (under the new CBA) and that too is a rubber meets road moment when fielding an elite defense to back them up becomes problematic.

Tebow will get his chance in Jacksonville, for better or worse. And the one year comment reminds me of what the Jets attempted to do with Favre, which only did what I anticipated - set their offense back a season.

Last edited:
Yup, and the fascination with Tebow is reminiscent of New England fans' fascination with Doug Flutie;another QB with limited ability whose presence on an NFL roster threatened to damage the team due to his followers' demands that he play.

:bricks:

Yes, damn those Patriots fans who wanted Flutie to play. Just because he never lost a game in Foxboro or routed D Bears in their 1st meeting after the Super Bowl disaster starting with an opening play 80 yard TD bomb...damn them to hell!...and Belichick as well for signing him.

Last edited:
What about when 7 years from now all 32 starting quarterbacks will make scrambling their best attribute? Will no one win the superbowl? ;)

Not to mention, didn't Ben win two? I'd say his best attribute is his ability to scramble and extend the play.
If there's 32 QB's in 7 years who have scrambling as their best attribute I won't be watching the NFL.

Jacksonville Jaguars source: Tim Tebow 'will be a Jaguar' - NFL.com

. Ian Rapoport of NFL.com uncovered a number of details regarding the expected Tebow pursuit:

»Tebow's camp has not been involved in any discussions, unlike last offseason when Tebow was essentially given the choice to be traded to the Jaguars or New York Jets. Tebow's camp did not respond to the latest reports and the Jets were also caught unaware. In short: This news is coming from Jacksonville.

»General Manager Gene Smith and coach Mike Mularkey's futures are uncertain in Jacksonville. So it's clear this directive is coming from the top down. A team source told Rapoport Tebow "Will be a Jaguar." The Jaguars made an aggressive but ultimately unsuccessful attempt to acquire Tebow before this year's trading deadline.

»This almost goes without saying, but the move will be business-related. Tebow will be able to fill seats in Jacksonville. The plan is to have an open quarterback competition, no matter who is the coach.

This is really a no-brainer. Tebow will fill lots of seats in Jacksonville. The only issue is compensation to the jets, which shouldn't be more than the 4th that Jacksonville offered last year.
Just a dumbass question, but why would Jax give any comp to NY when NY is shopping him to, well Jacksonville?

This is really a no-brainer. Tebow will fill lots of seats in Jacksonville. The only issue is compensation to the jets, which shouldn't be more than the 4th that Jacksonville offered last year.

Maybe the Jets will insist they take Sanchez too ...

Compensation? What compensation? Why in the world would the Jags offer ANYTHING!? What's the Jets alternative? Keep him???

(I just realized I started a post with 5 straight questions questions. I've never done that before. :eel:)

No team will trade for Tebow for a multitude of reasons, but first among them would be his contract. The only way the Jets are going to trade Tebow is if THEY throw in a draft pick, not get one.

Tebow may wind up in Jacksonville, but it will be after his release.

He not only wants out, he reportedly refused to run the wildcat package for the Jets today. Insubordination. But he's a paragon of integrity and morals.

He not only wants out, he reportedly refused to run the wildcat package for the Jets today. Insubordination. But he's a paragon of integrity and morals.

Refusing to play for Rex and the Jets was his moral duty at this point.

Players can SURPRISE the NFL for a year. If they only have one ability, they're done after that year.

I imagine every poster here who supports Tebow also thinks Cassel is a crap QB. Wouldn't you say there's something of a similarity there? QBs, who for one year, looked like world beaters thanks to circumstances and unfamiliarity around the league?

Let's try to be reasonable here:

Strengths: Leadership. Running ability.
Weaknesses: No presnap read ability. Inaccurate. Gives up on plays to run.

Does that sound like a NFL QB you'd want?

I would add 1 other stat, doesn't turn the ball over a lot compared to the Sanchize who has 50 TO's in his last 30 games played.

Jets would have made him inactive as they have only had 2 active QBs all year anyway.

That report is nothing more than anonymous sources crap that is an epidemic on that team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference