PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Now Hunter Henry signs with New England:

Are you drunk ?
I think this entirely hypothetical and impossible situation would actually be hard to call. We signed Jonnu for who we expect him to become, but the player he was up to this point is probably worse than 2020 Gronk. It's a bit closer with Henry, but there were some Gronk plays last year that made me feel like he's still "got it".

Overpay is relative. If the cap jumps 10-15M$ a year due to increased revenue, is it still an overpay ? What IS the fair amount for the new FAs if you believe they were overpaid ?

I'd rather have Gronk for $8m for 1 year than either of these guys for $12m per year for 3 or 4 years. Gronk blocks better than them and can give me 400-500 yards easy. Hell Jonnu has never done more than 500 yards.

In the context of Gronk's $8m extension, both of these contracts are expensive.

Why be an ass? I am stating my opinion.
when did I ever say only my opinion can be right.
I backed up my opinion with what I see as the facts. Your argument isn’t doing anything to change my mind. If you want to believe that a team that signs 2 TEs near the top of the market price is showing you they have confidence in the guy who was the 2nd or 3rd TE last year go ahead.
But the fact that your point doesn’t make much sense and you can’t defend it is what it is.
Trying to make it about me being stubborn only shows you know you are wrong.

But by all means show me where I even implied that I said it so it must be true.
Very lame.
How many TEs can they realistically carry?

I'd rather have Gronk for $8m for 1 year than either of these guys for $12m per year for 3 or 4 years. Gronk blocks better than them and can give me 400-500 yards easy. Hell Jonnu has never done more than 500 yards.

Ok. Both are younger and have less wear and tear than Gronk. Also consider : Gronk seems intent on “only playing w Brady”. He wasn’t returning to NE. So, “yes”. I’d also rather rake in 2M$ / year at my job. But that offer isn’t out there for me to take. I’m happy at my negotiated rate.

After Henry’s comments about wanting to play with a good QB I didn’t think the Pats had any shot at him. Either he took the money without a good QB or Bill sold him on a future QB addition.
Or Bill had him hypnotized into thinking Cam was a good quarterback.

Wasn't he always banged up with the Eagles? Avg NFL career is a few short years. He's on yr 6 or 7, correct?
The short NFL career is one of the more misleading statistics. Every year the NYFL brings in hundreds of players who are gone right away. That's much more of a factor than the few players who lose a career to injury. Once players have been around for a few years they tend to stick around.

So what happens to our two third round rookie TEs?

Depends. They're probably fighting for roster spots, but if these moves are an indication that we're going back to a 2-TE offense as our base, you don't want to be one injury away from having to abandon it. Henry/Smith can play 80% of the snaps when healthy, with Asiasi (hypothetically) spelling them. Then if one has to miss a game or two, you just plug Asiasi into the open spot. Again, IF he earns it. But there's no reason he can't get 10-15 snaps a game even with these two if he takes a step forward this year.

How many TEs can they realistically carry?
They can carry 3. But with the 2 they just signed the 3rd guy will barely see the field.

If they had hope for him they wouldn’t have just blocked him from any reasonable role for the rest of his contract.

To the folks whining about this free agency spending spree. The ones who say this is not the way to build a team. Did they not watch last season? This Pats team was utterly DEVOID of NFL caliber talent at key positions. Some of these players would not even have played on a Div 1A college team. Now within 36 hours BB has signed some actual NFL players to fill these huge holes in the lineup. This is a good thing.

They can carry 3. But with the 2 they just signed the 3rd guy will barely see the field.

If they had hope for him they wouldn’t have just blocked him from any reasonable role for the rest of his contract.
Is that how many they carried in the Gronk/Hernandez days? That was an incredible combination.

Danny Devito Smh GIF

Gronk is 31 and has a wonky back, and hates Bill and his grumpy ways. He's staying with Brady. These guys will both be more productive than Gronk will be over the life of these contracts. Not taking anything away from Gronk and what he meant to the Pats, but he is done here.

To the folks whining about this free agency spending spree. The ones who say this is not the way to build a team. Did they not watch last season? This Pats team was utterly DEVOID of NFL caliber talent at key positions. Some of these players would not even have played on a Div 1A college team. Now within 36 hours BB has signed some actual NFL players to fill these huge holes in the lineup. This is a good thing.
Who's whining about this spending spree? I haven't seen that at all. Most of us are giddy at the thought of picking up so much talent in places we needed it. It's almost making me forget about losing you know who. ;)

Danny Devito Smh GIF

Gronk is 31 and has a wonky back, and hates Bill and his grumpy ways. He's staying with Brady. These guys will both be more productive than Gronk will be over the life of these contracts. Not taking anything away from Gronk and what he meant to the Pats, but he is done here.
I'm glad Gronk is staying with the champs. Didn't want him in Buffalo cause that would make Allen even better.

No chance Gronk was coming here unless it was with a new head coach.

So what happens to our two third round rookie TEs?
They get on the field when they can play better than the other guys on the roster at their position. Or when the other guys get hurt. Same as always.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back