PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No one could have reasonably predicted that TB would still be this good at 43

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Yes...BB and Kraft made the wrong call and in retrospect should have extended him back in 2017. However it is completely understandable why they did not think placing a 25-20 million/year bet on a 43-44 you QB would be money well spent.

OK Tom and Alex Guerrero were right, but what Brady is doing is unprecedented and could not have been predicted. So everyone who wants to tear BB a new one should think twice.

Really?

REALLY?

REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?

Noone could have predicted that he'd do for another year exactly what he's done for the last 20 years? NOONE?!?

How about most of the Pats fanbase predicted this? Including myself and tons others on this board.

That's some weak ass post.

I don't know if this is the right thread since Tom wasn't great in the NFCCG.

And with what money were the Pats going to pay Tom? The Pats had no cap space. It was time for both parties to move on and they did.

If I was a betting man I would have bet you alot of money that brady would be really good this year.

Really?

REALLY?

REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?

Noone could have predicted that he'd do for another year exactly what he's done for the last 20 years? NOONE?!?

How about most of the Pats fanbase predicted this? Including myself and tons others on this board.

That's some weak ass post.

Brees fell off a cliff out of nowhere. Manning fell off a cliff out of nowhere, favre...it happens to QBs in their 40s

There really is no precedent for what Brady is doing. It's really amazing how good he still is at 43.

Now I do think bill should have afforded brady that right to go out on his terms. But let's not act like it's a foregone conclusion.

He led the league in TD passes in 2015. He was a near MVP in 2016. He was the MVP in 2017. He had an “off year” statistically in 2018 and won a super bowl.

Bill has no one to blame but himself for not re-upping Brady as soon as he knew he was going to have to unload Jimmy.

He led the league in TD passes in 2015. He was a near MVP in 2016. He was the MVP in 2017. He had an “off year” statistically in 2018 and won a super bowl.

Bill has no one to blame but himself for not re-upping Brady as soon as he knew he was going to have to unload Jimmy.
THIS is the issue right here.

It's one thing to go year to year with Brady IF you have Jimmy sitting behind him. Once Jimmy was traded it's all in on Brady. And bill never went all in and never even addressed the QB position behind him

Yes...BB and Kraft made the wrong call and in retrospect should have extended him back in 2017. However it is completely understandable why they did not think placing a 25-20 million/year bet on a 43-44 you QB would be money well spent.

OK Tom and Alex Guerrero were right, but what Brady is doing is unprecedented and could not have been predicted. So everyone who wants to tear BB a new one should think twice.
If they don’t give Brady an extension so be it - but a better QB plan than Jarrett Stidham for the transition would have been nice.

THIS is the issue right here.

It's one thing to go year to year with Brady IF you have Jimmy sitting behind him. Once Jimmy was traded it's all in on Brady. And bill never went all in and never even addressed the QB position behind him
I feel like a broken record but Bill’s biggest blunder will be shoving Brady out the door with no backup plan. I’ve seen people try to give him credit for drafting Garapollo as the successor but it’s hard to buy that argument when he traded him 2.5 years before Brady walked.

Apparently Bill was content to go into the season with Stidham, a guy who he wouldn’t start over a QB that played 15 games and threw 8 TDs, and Brian Hoyer, who after getting one start did so horrifically that he became a healthy scratch all year. Cam fell into his lap because he was willing to play for peanuts. The fact that Cam was willing to play for peanuts is because no other team wanted him due to the fact that his shoulder is completely shot. Bill had no plan at QB and still decided in 2019 to shove Brady out the door as well as structure his deal with a bunch of void years that rolled into 2020.

Is Brady gonna have a Ray Bourque-esque party at City Hall if he wins it all? Wow, a lot has changed in 20 years.

This is not a binary debate.

Expecting a professional athlete to play at an elite level at age 43 and 44 (next year, two year contract) is indeed unprecedented.

The (lack of) succession plan is a separate discussion.

Brady should have retired a Patriot. He didn’t deserve to be ****ed around with 1 year prove it deals. Bill and Kraft got egg on their face right now. Linda Holliday has makeup smeared down her face from the bitter tears.

Let’s face it, Brady staying on the Pats for another year would not have gotten us through the division. Our team lacks firepower on offense, big time. Our first rounder Harry hasn’t done much this year.
While Harry did have more TDs this year Meyers was the better player this year.

I mean besides Jules nobody on the WR crew is really a top 2 wideout on this team.
We lack talent at QB and WR, and I expect another year of struggle while we rebuild the offense.
Stidham failed to impress and Newton is just a shell of what he use to be.

I don't know if this is the right thread since Tom wasn't great in the NFCCG.

And with what money were the Pats going to pay Tom? The Pats had no cap space. It was time for both parties to move on and they did.
He wasn’t good? Talk about being a clown this is espn level clownry

He wasn’t good? Talk about being a clown this is espn level clownry
He was amazing the first half and awful the second half. Which is weird because in the playoffs he tends to be amazing in seconds half.

GB D adjusted at half time but the Bucs didn’t adjust after GB adjusted.

I get that they wanted to keep GB to commit to the run but jeez at one time you need to mix it up. You have to throw on play action on first down sometimes can’t always run it. Against KC they will need to put themselves in 2nd and short and not in 2nd and long everytime.

Play calling wise they weren’t much difference between the 1st and 2nd half. In the first they just converted the big plays which they didn’t in the second half.

They didn’t have a succession plan? They had Etling and Stidham when they wouldn’t give him a contract

This is not a binary debate.

Yeah but you are going to eliminate 95% of internet posts with that standard, causing a surge in domestic violence, bringing the entire economy down, extending the life of the pandemic, and thus probably causing a world war. So careful with these assertions, please.

I still don't get why it should not have been possible capwise, to give Brady the contract he deserves, beef up the offense and restructure a couple other dudes contracts. They would sacrifice on D a little, but if thats what you have to do to retain Brady and make him a patriot for life, you just have to do that.
What is the benefit now? We rebuild a couple years earlier... But does it really expedite the rebuild? Does it now take only 1-2 years to be back in the mix instead of several years more? Did Bill the goat HC preserve his own carreer by divorcing Brady too early?

I still don't get why it should not have been possible capwise, to give Brady the contract he deserves, beef up the offense and restructure a couple other dudes contracts. They would scrifice on D a little, but if thats what you have to do to retain Brady and make him a patriot for life, you just have to do that.
What is the benefit now? We rebuild a couple years earlier...
If we had a Jimmy like on the bench I would have got it but without a clear plan it made no sense. So basically now we will lose draft picks to trade for a veteran QB who will be not as good as Brady but will have the same cap hit basically as Brady would have

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back