PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No matter what, this was a successful season.

We peaked too early
Wow I think this was stuck in the multiquotes from last night but good segue
beg to differ bigly on the success of this season. losing 4/5 down the stretch is very far from a success the needle is pointing down based on the end of the season, when Belichick coached teams are supposed to be playing their best football.
Some of the same feeling. Some of the OP's feeling. I think Mac looks good, and that's a big relief. Not at all predestined that we get that. I think we have solid backfield talent all around. I think we have a great Defense for a 12 game season, especially against the less good teams in that season. Wish we had what we sometimes looked like we had.

We didn't just lose that game. We didn't belong in that game. The Bills did to us what I've seen us do to them - and others - many a time. And after the last 20 years, wasn't nobody stopping after 4 TDs lol.

Big step up from last year, but we need another big step up next year. Teams make this much of a bounce-back then fade all the time. Hope we're not one of 'em.

10 and 7 with a rookie qb in the first grade of a rebuild.

this season exceeded all my expectations!

a lot of people expected more, but the reality is we are not as deep as other teams and we are one of the oldest, slowest, least athletic teams in the nfl!

I see a huge opportunity for us to take the next step next season provided draft well this year.

10 and 7 with a rookie qb in the first grade of a rebuild.

this season exceeded all my expectations!

a lot of people expected more, but the reality is we are not as deep as other teams and we are one of the oldest, slowest, least athletic teams in the nfl!

I see a huge opportunity for us to take the next step next season provided draft well this year.
We have a rookie QB because we decided to let the greatest quarterback of all-time leave.

Since then, said QB has won a Super Bowl and put up 2 MVP caliber seasons while our team has 0 playoff wins and a 17-17 record.

It annoys me how people keep acting like our rebuild was because our QB retired or something and not because Belichick's ego thought he could win without him.

We have a rookie QB because we decided to let the greatest quarterback of all-time leave.

Since then, said QB has won a Super Bowl and put up 2 MVP caliber seasons while our team has 0 playoff wins and a 17-17 record.

It annoys me how people keep acting like our rebuild was because our QB retired or something and not because Belichick's ego thought he could win without him.

Your point is moot! Regardless of the circumstances, or people involved, Brady is gone.

get over it, grow up and move on!

Can’t wait for next year….I think they will continue to improve. I expect to see 10-15 new Patriots next year, and a few new coaches. Disappointed in how they looked last night, but not in how they improved this year.

You left off the 49ers with Deebo.

Brown not being a Patriot will forever frustrate me. Everything about him, his tape and measurable screamed the perfect fit for our offense at the time.

Harry never made sense and makes me sick that Bill went over the scouts heads to take Harry over Deebo/Brown just like he went over their heads to draft Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings and Bethel Johnson over Anquan Boldin.

Bill should never be allowed to pick a WR in the draft again
WHAT?

Please tell me you're joking! I swear....

Making the playoffs with the infirmed, elderly, and incompetent is a remarkable accomplishment. Surgery is needed and camp will be interesting. Fight on.

Disappointing 4 of the last 5 games. Something went wrong with the desire to preform at 100% after the break except Mac Jones and Nick Folk. I was excited and frustrated this season. It was a better season that last season with Cam Newton.

Nick Folk is my player of the year. Mac Jones is my rookie of the year. N'Keal Harry isbmy DUMP of the year, again.

I hope Bill Belichick has it in him to produce a winning team in 2022-23. There are many voids to fill like LBers & WRers. The offensive line must be improved, Jones has earned the right for better protection.

Go Pats....Get the Job done.

I am looking forward to the 2022-2023 season.

Disappointing 4 of the last 5 games. Something went wrong with the desire to preform at 100% after the break except Mac Jones and Nick Folk. I was excited and frustrated this season. It was a better season that last season with Cam Newton.

Nick Folk is my player of the year. Mac Jones is my rookie of the year. N'Keal Harry isbmy DUMP of the year, again.

I hope Bill Belichick has it in him to produce a winning team in 2022-23. There are many voids to fill like LBers & WRers. The offensive line must be improved, Jones has earned the right for better protection.

Go Pats....Get the Job done.

I am looking forward to the 2022-2023 season.
Will we ever know what happened with the team at the bye week?

Will we ever know what happened with the team at the bye week?

I don't think so, but I would like to know. It is like the Super Bowl game that Belichick sat Buttler and put in a rookie corner. We didn't know at the game time then, what happened, and here we are years later, and I still don't understand why he sat.

I am somewhat happy with this year. But there is a lot of room for improvement.

So the rumor mill says that Mac Jones was nursing an injury of some type in his throwing shoulder? I wonder if we'll hear about some minor procedure to clean it up this offseason? That, combined with the knee injury he got in the preseason that caused him to play the entire year with a brace did not help him in the passing game.

I liked how they started Mac out with a conservative, run-based offense, but eventually, especially when playing from behind, you have to be able to throw the ball. They only had one 4th quarter comeback - against the pitiful Texans. The Texans? You needed a 4th quarter comeback to beat them? Yup, they did.

I don't think they necessarily need to go for a big name WR in free agency, as they rarely work out in New England's offense, which may also be part of the problem. The top 10 free agent WRs are either going to be very expensive (like Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin or Davante Adams) or too old (like TY Hilton, AJ Green or Emmanuel Sanders).

As for the offense in general, Josh McDaniels and his "It's 1st down - let's run the ball" offense was not working well this year and for all the money they paid for Jonnu Smith & Hunter Henry, they didn't seem to play much 22 package and when they did, they still ran the ball. Why even sign those two big-name FA TEs if you were going to use them that way?

I think their draft should be concentrated on the defensive side of the ball. Their defense was old, oft-injured and lacked depth. Look at the club Digger had to play with on his hand because their backup safeties weren't that good. They need some speed at LB - Hightower, Van Noy & Collins are old and too slow. It seemed like every mobile QB gave them trouble (again). Bentley is a tackling machine but only in runs up the middle. Devin McCourty has been a favorite of mine for a while but he needs to retire. He looked bad a few times this year with his inability to tackle a runner in the open field.

JC Jackson is the big question for the secondary. He will be due a big payday that I doubt the Patriots are going to want to pay. They may apply the Franchise Tag to retain him for another year but that is expensive and they don't have that much cap space, even when you subtract Hightower & McCourty's $$, especially if they want to sign a few free agents.

So while I was happy with the results of this year, I was not happy with the offense by the end. I have to hope they were protecting Mac Jones' throwing shoulder or else McDaniels has to go. The offense was just too predictable... and boring really. I know boring is OK if they win, but boring is just boring when they lose.

One last point - I also partly blame the 17 game season for some of the Patriots' late season problems. By game 15, they had a lot of vets that were out of gas and the injuries were piling up. Even Judon (COVID maybe?) seemed to slow way down as the season progressed. Then game 17 saw Dugger & Barmore go out with injuries. No game 17, and they aren't playing hurt for the playoffs. This 17 game season was a bad move. But it'll be here until long after I'm gone, so expect to see it affect more teams in the coming years. Maybe at some point, some stat-head will compile a list of players hurt in game 17 and the players themselves will fight back? I doubt it.

“2021 AFC WILDCARD TEAM”

Not in my opinion.

We were 2-4 to start, finished 1-4 with a 30 point blow out loss.

We had a 7 game wining streak against injured teams.

Rex Ryan took Mark Sanchez to a 9-7 record to the AFC title game.

Sean Payton went 9-8 with a decimated team.

I expected more out of Belichick with this team. But the way they look at times - especially after the bye week- was atrocious. And that playoff performance? Yuck.

Agree. This was not a success no matter what. I think this team underperformed.

Going 1-4 to close out the season shows how mediocre the staff is around BB.

Agree. This was not a success no matter what. I think this team underperformed.

Going 1-4 to close out the season shows how mediocre the staff is around BB.

broken-blank-vinyl-record-vector-id467289834

There's reason to be optimistic. I thought we'd be a 8-9 win team at best. But the win streak was unexpected. Who cares if it wasn't against top teams, it takes something to win multiple consecutive games in this league.
Much of the offensive woes could be put on Mac though. Warner had a good breakdown of Mac's game - he's not quite seeing the whole field yet and leaving a lot of big plays out there. Our WR's are not junk, but the whole field has to get clicking, and I think next year has to improve. We have to expect JMD and BB know full well that they didn't get Agholor & Smith involved enough. And losing White left a gap in an important part of their game. But consistency and year-2 QB should automatically improve a number of problems. Remember, while our D tanked the last month, our O didn't help at all - horrible slow starts and 1st half TO's. It's a balance. The best D is a productive O.

Pats went in the right direction so they were successful in that regard. I think we made a mistake thinking they were better than they were after the win streak

I think Bill needs to revamp his entire defense. So little athleticism - it's all based on experienced guys who can't run - who lack speed and power. Maybe grab a WR at the top of the draft - if you can get someone who can play - and most of the rest of the picks have to be defenders.

Once teams figured out how to play the Patriots - the defense was swiss cheese. I saw Allen run right by McCourty - who used to be one of the fastest guys in the NFL. Pretty much every guy needs to go - and I doubt they pony of for JC. We need a whole bunch of new blood - strong guys up front who can stop the run and speed at the linebackers. Only the secondary was passable.

Its' going to be tough for Bill. This kind of revamping can easily set the team back. But he has to bite the bullet and do it.

It is entirely possible the team takes a step back next season. It’s what happens to literally every team that comes off a sugar high of a season after spending the most money on free agents.

I think someone is going to have to let DKF know the truth. Want me to do it? Ok, I will.

Hi @DropKickFlutie. It's me, 60. I hope you aren't too disappointed when I tell you what I have to tell you. The sad news is that I don't think Josh is going anywhere... ever. He's a Patriot for life.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back