PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal Harry (lack of) Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know for a fact McDaniels is the reason we got Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson. Know for a fact McDaniels then left to draft Tim Tebow and Alphonso Smith in the 1st round at Denver. Know for a fact he changed the WR/CB draft methodology Belichick uses. Know for a fact NKeal Harry "aced his Foxboro workout" before being drafted. With time I would not be surprised to hear more truth about the Harry pick come out.
But let's not pretend that McD or whomever were the only ones wrong about Harry. He was ranked in almost every top-5 list in his WR class, and usually in the top 2 or 3. That said, the book on him made me wonder why the precision/don't-turn-it-over Patriots drafted him, because hes a contested ball receiver and that doesn't fit the Patriots system at all.

Particularly when AJ Brown, a pure route-runner, was on the board.

In this year's draft, Devonte Smith has NE receiver written all over him, but he won't be there when they draft (because he has [insert any team here]-receiver written all over him.

I replied to you above, I think I missed the quote function but it was in reply for you.

Thank you. I see your response. Much like the Malcolm Butler situation, I am guessing we will never know the true story about how NKeal Harry was drafted. I know I wouldn't "take credit" for that choice.

But let's not pretend that McD or whomever were the only ones wrong about Harry. He was ranked in almost every top-5 list in his WR class, and usually in the top 2 or 3. That said, the book on him made me wonder why the precision/don't-turn-it-over Patriots drafted him, because hes a contested ball receiver and that doesn't fit the Patriots system at all.

Particularly when AJ Brown, a pure route-runner, was on the board.

In this year's draft, Devonte Smith has NE receiver written all over him, but he won't be there when they draft (because he has [insert any team here]-receiver written all over him.
Too true.

Some of you are in denial about Harry. If he had shown something- anything- by now, many of us would be in favor of giving him another year. We've seen enough. It's time to admit the mistake and cut him. Unless you can find someone stupid enough to take him in a trade. I'd be ecstatic with a 7th round pick for him at this point.

Thank you. I see your response. Much like the Malcolm Butler situation, I am guessing we will never know the true story about how NKeal Harry was drafted. I know I wouldn't "take credit" for that choice.

Absolutely, not surprised that McDaniels is going to act like he has nothing to do with these. All we have is a pattern of total draft ineptness from 05-08 then Denver 08-10 then NE again from 2013-now, and the period he was gone 2009-2012 we drafted awesome.

It is relevant specific to salary and ROI sure
No, it’s relevant because we could have had other, better, more NFL-ready receivers from a far better conference at the spot we drafted Harry in. Meyers was a UDFA. Imagine this - the team could have drafted both Brown and Metcalf instead of Harry and Williams (who was not a need in the least and is a stiff), and still picked up Meyers. We have a flanker and split end of Brown and Metcalf and Meyers/Edelman in the slot. With the D we had in 2019, we’re in the AFC title game again with the possibility of #7. So yes, the draft position is very relevant and it’s relevant for more purposes than just compensation and ROI.

Last edited:
Sanu was done dirty here. Joins the team midway thru with a pissy QB and blows out his ankle on a ****ing return. He was never the same.
I agree. He should've never returned a punt he's only done once in his career. That was a big blunder on Bill risking it when they were extremely thin at WR. I would be shocked if Brady didn't have some words with Bill regarding that. Then cuts him the next training camp. Sanu regrets playing after injuring his ankle. He only did it because he felt the pressure of the Pats throwing out a 2nd for him.

Meyers wasn't good last year when he started. Sorry to say that. He feasted this because he was given nearly 20 more targets and treated like a number 1 for like half the year, largely because Harry sucked.

This is Harry's second year underperforming. And here's the issue. Meyers is basically a number 3 on most teams in this league at best. Harry is a first round pick. We didn't draft him to be a 3rd option and he's currently getting outplayed.

Harry was a first round pick.

He is ranked:

#119 in yards per reception
#172 in catch percentage
#151 in yards
#139 in receptions
#143 in TD's
#199 in YAC (which is ****ing abysmal considering his whole draw is that he's supposed to be a big body that will be hard to bring down)

He's legitimately a bust.
So 2 years is enough time to call players busts. Gotcha.

Has he underperformed for a 1st round pick? Yes. But he does things that can still help this team.

Pats fans root for this kid to fail just so they can 'win' an argument on a forum. Pathetic.
Is Kneal Harry's agent Tom Condon?

I agree. He should've never returned a punt he's only done once in his career. That was a big blunder on Bill risking it when they were extremely thin at WR. I would be shocked if Brady didn't have some words with Bill regarding that. Then cuts him the next training camp. Sanu regrets playing after injuring his ankle. He only did it because he felt the pressure of the Pats throwing out a 2nd for him.

Feel so sorry for sanu.. he wanted to help the pats win a championship and in the bargain lost his career.

And for the record, as I've noted before, if I had been picking for the Pats, it would have been Brown, Metcalf, and Renfrow in the 5th...I was screaming at the TV during the draft.

The downside, though, is that if I had been drafting, we wouldn't have gotten Harry, JoeJuan Williams, or Froholdt.

And no, I don't know more about football than BB's little finger. They knew the weaknesses of Harry's game - separation being the biggest - but they were really high on him and said they were lucky he was still there when they drafted. With athletes of this level, it's a fine edge - lots of Celtics fans were calling for Jaylen Brown to be traded, and now, wow.
Don't be so hard on yourself; the bolded part isn't what I would consider a downside...far from it actually...

Can we put to rest the narrative of Brady's "neglect" somehow being detrimental to Harry's progress? Because 1) it's not factual and 2) Harry wasn't any different this season with another year under his belt and a different quarterback room.

So how's this been working out?

th_coffee.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call