PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal Harry (lack of) Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has he underperformed for a 1st round pick? Yes. But he does things that can still help this team.

Pats fans root for this kid to fail just so they can 'win' an argument on a forum. Pathetic.

im not rooting for him to fail, i was his cheerleader up until the end of last year..

I always try to remain optimistic, but my patience with Harry has run out. Part of that is just watching the other like TEN wide receivers from that draft class that are all having very productive careers

Only 1 receiver in that huge pool of top prospects has turned into a bust, and that is N'Keal Harry. Absolutely devastating pick that will set this team back for years, especially when you add it to the other 1st rounder we lost for Deflategate and the 2nd rounder we pissed away on Sanu

Ask Tommie Brady about N’Keal. Dude’s not durable, not impactful, and when he was put there he certainly didn’t endear himself to Mr 12. Never gained his trust.

I saw him a few times at ASU, where he was The Man and, though he certainly lacked downfield explosiveness like many other receivers in that draft class (Ohio State had three!), I thought he was a legit NFL player in the Anquan Bolden mould.

Something is missing that we did not see. And the lack of speed on the edge—a multi-year deficiency—should have made Bill look elsewhere. (I wanted Dalton Risner, the versatile O-lineman with the unprecedented ability to play all five positions in the first round.)

Heads should roll for this pick. It’s a ball and chain on this organization. Trade him to Baltimore where he can be somewhat productive in that offense as defenses lose him with their eyes on QB Lamar Jackson.

They are interested in Harry perhaps:

We may get a fourth-rounder for the trade.

I've been a big supporter (I root for all Pats guys to thrive), and I don't think the issues that have held Harry back are minor at all. He had a limited 2019 preseason because of injury 9and didn't work with Brady in OTAs because Brady skipped them, unlike with Tampa this year). Then he comes in 10 games into the season, when the Pats were beginning their tailspin and Brady was clearly pissed at the world (over AB, probably?), and shock of shocks, he couldn't get where he needed to be in an offense that many vets struggle to pick up.

Then this year, Cam, running game focus...so I'm not surprised that he was way behind others in his class.

That all said, I still hope for him to get better, much better, but it's got to start with his head - that sideline throw where he wasn't even looking for the ball was...troubling. His confidence is shot, his head is all over the place, clearly, as was shown by his agent's remarks about Cam (which sealed the season for him).

So I still hope he can develop into a serviceable NFL receiver, but yeah, for a 1st Round pick, he's a bust.

And for the record, as I've noted before, if I had been picking for the Pats, it would have been Brown, Metcalf, and Renfrow in the 5th...I was screaming at the TV during the draft.

The downside, though, is that if I had been drafting, we wouldn't have gotten Harry, JoeJuan Williams, or Froholdt.

And no, I don't know more about football than BB's little finger. They knew the weaknesses of Harry's game - separation being the biggest - but they were really high on him and said they were lucky he was still there when they drafted. With athletes of this level, it's a fine edge - lots of Celtics fans were calling for Jaylen Brown to be traded, and now, wow.

So who knows. Still rooting for the kid to get his head straight and shine. As with all Pat players.

Bill Belichick: “Hey, Brady, we got you your receiver in the first round. Happy now?”

Tom Brady, “Thanks, Coach. Great news.”

Months later Brady tells GB: “If this is what this organization thinks is a first round player, then I am out of here.”

GB: “It’s okay, darling. I hate this cold. Can we go to Miami? It reminds me of Rio.”

TB: “Well, I dunno.” Sips a green concoction made of alpha sprouts, avocado, lemon seed oil, and coconut water.

“Wait, let me think. Arians. Godwin. Florida. Let me call Gronk.”

Do you think Meyers had a successful 2019 season?
For where we got him? Absolutely. He was a surprise. Harry was drafted in the first round and, unfortunately for him, will always be compared to guys like Brown, McLaurin, and Metcalf who were all drafted after him and made immediate splashes with lesser QBs. I hope the kid turns it around, but he can’t get separation unless either A) the play breaks down and he has to play sandlot football, or B) it’s very late in the progression and the QBs eyes have already gone elsewhere.

Do you think Meyers had a successful 2019 season?

Playing behind Edelman, Sanu, Harry on the depth chart and still putting up 350 yards, YES jacobi had a way better season than Harry ever has.

Bill Belichick: “Hey, Brady, we got you your receiver in the first round. Happy now?”

Tom Brady, “Thanks, Coach. Great news.”

Months later Brady tells GB: “If this is what this organization thinks is a first round player, then I am out of here.”

GB: “It’s okay, darling. I hate this cold. Can we go to Miami? It reminds me of Rio.”

TB: “Well, I dunno.” Sips a green concoction made of alpha sprouts, avocado, lemon seed oil, and coconut water.

“Wait, let me think. Arians. Godwin. Florida. Let me call Gronk.”

Then get the pitch forks ready because McDaniels whiffing on multiple receivers is the reason Brady left then.

Playing behind Edelman, Sanu, Harry on the depth chart and still putting up 350 yards, YES jacobi had a way better season than Harry ever has.

Harry was hurt and frozen out by Brady his entire rookie year.

Meyers was not hurt his rookie year and benefited greatly.

Harry had a QB this year who sucked.

Meyers jelled with Cam. That is understood.

Harry did not but still had the same same numbers Jakobi did his rookie year.

To say Harry is a bust is quick to judge and impatience at it finest.

You hate Harry and Josh. We get that but you also have zero patience.

For where we got him? Absolutely. He was a surprise. Harry was drafted in the first round and, unfortunately for him, will always be compared to guys like Brown, McLaurin, and Metcalf who were all drafted after him and made immediate splashes with lesser QBs. I hope the kid turns it around, but he can’t get separation unless either A) the play breaks down and he has to play sandlot football, or B) it’s very late in the progression and the QBs eyes have already gone elsewhere.
Draft selection is in the past. There is no doubt Meyers is ahead of Harry but Harry last year had Jakobi's rookie year stats-wise.

To say he is a bust is premature.

2021 is a make or break for Harry.

You're making way too many excuses for him. You were in denial over Sanu and it's continuing with Harry. Harry looks like he's just not mentally tough or wants it enough. It's a major red flag when an undrafted FA outplaying him doesn't seem to motivate him. In fact, the production between Harry and Meyers this year should've been swapped. Harry should've been doing what he could to get more touches after Meyers 170+ game vs the Jets. He's just not that Alpha dog WR that has confidence he can line up and make plays.

Brady didn't have time for rookies making mistakes and Harry made a lot of them. However, him laughing at Harry on the field probably didn't do him many favors mentally. Fast forward to this season when Harry made another embarrassing blunder just standing near the sideline as Cam was motioning him to go up field. He just doesn't seem very football smart. Draft night was the first red flag on his intelligence as it took him a long time to figure out his reception was bad as he kept saying "hello" and then hanging up on BB. He finally got the net and went outside.

Last edited:
You're making way too many excuses for him. You were in denial over Sanu and it's continuing with Harry. Harry looks like he's just not mentally tough or wants it enough. It's a major red flag when an undrafted FA outplaying him doesn't seem to motivate him. In fact, the production between Harry and Meyers should've been swapped and ended after Meyers 170+ game vs the Jets.

Brady didn't have time for rookies making mistakes and Harry made a lot of them. However, him laughing at Harry on the field probably didn't do him many favors mentally. Fast forward to this season when Harry made another embarrassing blunder just standing near the sideline as Cam was motioning him to go up field. He just doesn't seem very football smart. Draft night was the first red flag on his intelligence as it took him a long time to figure out his reception was bad as he kept saying "hello" and then hanging up on BB. He finally get the net and went outside.
Unlike you and most of the board i'm patient. I'm not quick to say so-and-so sucks and is a bust. Everyone learns and grows at their own pace. I give Harry next year to produce. Thats 3 years runway. More than enough to be 100% sure he can contribute.

Sanu was done dirty here. Joins the team midway thru with a pissy QB and blows out his ankle on a ****ing return. He was never the same.

Unlike you and most of the board i'm patient. I'm not quick to say so-and-so sucks and is a bust. Everyone learns and grows at their own pace. I give Harry next year to produce. Thats 3 years runway. More than enough to be 100% sure he can contribute.

Sanu was done dirty here. Joins the team midway thru with a pissy QB and blows out his ankle on a ****ing return. He was never the same.
I would love to see Harry turn it around, but it's hard to see how. He doesn't get separation, he does not have great hands, and his YAC are not great. Right now he looks like a WR 4 or 5 and the pats drafted him to be a 1 or 2. You just don't draft WRs in round 1 hoping maybe they can contribute in the run game. the whole Brady was pissy with Harry is a weak argument. At least under Brady the pats offense demanded players read defenses before and after the snap and change the route according to the defense. That's not just Brady, that was the offense. Harry could not do it. He just could not. This year with Cam you would think he would do better with an offense that just didn't put that kind of pressure on the WRs, but he was not much better. If he was half of Anquan Bolden that might be OK, but so far it's not promising

Meyers wasn't good last year when he started. Sorry to say that. He feasted this because he was given nearly 20 more targets and treated like a number 1 for like half the year, largely because Harry sucked.

This is Harry's second year underperforming. And here's the issue. Meyers is basically a number 3 on most teams in this league at best. Harry is a first round pick. We didn't draft him to be a 3rd option and he's currently getting outplayed.

Harry was a first round pick.

He is ranked:

#119 in yards per reception
#172 in catch percentage
#151 in yards
#139 in receptions
#143 in TD's
#199 in YAC (which is ****ing abysmal considering his whole draw is that he's supposed to be a big body that will be hard to bring down)

He's legitimately a bust.

Wow the crazy mental gymnastics to keep pretending NKeal Harry isn't an absolute BUST...

We saw how he did with Tom Brady. Their rookie years Rookie Undrafted Jacobi Meyers got more looks from Brady than Rookie 1st Rounder N'Keal Harry. No more excuse making. Harry is a bust, banish McDaniels from any more eval discussions ever again, period.
I don't want to defend Harry or McD here, but do we know for sure McD is the reason the Pats selected Harry? I am definitely not a fan of McD and know of his Tebow pick etc. but has it been verified that he is the reason they took Harry? I haven't seen it and if anyone can supply a link, that would be great. Personally, I wanted Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown and didn't really care for Harry, but I am no draft guru. I just never heard that McD was the reason the Pats took Harry instead of the other guys but many on here indicate it. I guess I just want to know if that is speculation or a known fact.

We know for a fact McDaniels is the reason we got Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson. Know for a fact McDaniels then left to draft Tim Tebow and Alphonso Smith in the 1st round at Denver. Know for a fact he changed the WR/CB draft methodology Belichick uses. Know for a fact NKeal Harry "aced his Foxboro workout" before being drafted. With time I would not be surprised to hear more truth about the Harry pick come out.

Draft selection is in the past. There is no doubt Meyers is ahead of Harry but Harry last year had Jakobi's rookie year stats-wise.

To say he is a bust is premature.

2021 is a make or break for Harry.
It’s in the past, sure, but it’s far from irrelevant.

I don't want to defend Harry or McD here, but do we know for sure McD is the reason the Pats selected Harry? I am definitely not a fan of McD and know of his Tebow pick etc. but has it been verified that he is the reason they took Harry? I haven't seen it and if anyone can supply a link, that would be great. Personally, I wanted Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown and didn't really care for Harry, but I am no draft guru. I just never heard that McD was the reason the Pats took Harry instead of the other guys but many on here indicate it. I guess I just want to know if that is speculation or a known fact.

I replied to you above, I think I missed the quote function but it was in reply for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back