PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Offseason Cuts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colts might sign both lauranitis and Long

We'll just have to disagree on that. I don't think there would be an issue with Brady and Harvin being on the same page. His route running is mediocre in terms of not having that refined/polished repertoire of knowing how to set guys up with foot work, head fakes, hesitations, etc. A guy like Deion Branch was great at this as he aged IMO.

Harvin has beaten guys his pure physical talents of quickness/speed/explosion. He still possesses that skill set in my opinion. The only time I'd start to worry about his route running is when he starts slowing down in his mid 30's and can't just beat guys with his pure physical talents anymore. That's when he's going to need to be more crafty at his trade in order to get open consistently. I'm not concerned about that yet at this point. He's only 28.

BB's record with drafting WR's is not promising, so I understand the correlation you're drawing. Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Chad Jackson, Aaron Dobson, etc. However, none of those guys were first round picks. Bill's first round draft acumen is very impressive and that's where he Was going to take Harvin. He typically doesn't whiff on guys in the first round. Even the "bad" first rounders like Maroney and Meriweather were decent contributors for a period of time.

Was Chad Jackson really a failure because he couldn't translate/didn't have the skill set, or because his body failed him? The guy seemed constantly hurt during his time her. Hamstring, groin, knee. Felt like the guy was never truly healthy as a pro.
Chad Jackson was a failure for a variety of reasons. And yes, the year he was cut, he was fully healthy..

More just curiosity but is akiem Ayers in any danger of being cut by the rams

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I wouldnt think at his very affordable cap number

Martellus Bennett sounds like he;s on his way out

Martellus Bennett sounds like he;s on his way out

The problem with Bennett is that he's just such a complete moron. His carefree attitude and ability to make a mockery out of hard work make him seem like an unlikely fit here, in my opinion.

Then again, who knows? We've seen other players come here and do well, but he certainly doesn't come off to me as a guy who carries the kind of traits that are coveted here in NE.

The problem with Bennett is that he's just such a complete moron. His carefree attitude and ability to make a mockery out of hard work make him seem like an unlikely fit here, in my opinion.

Then again, who knows? We've seen other players come here and do well, but he certainly doesn't come off to me as a guy who carries the kind of traits that are coveted here in NE.

I agree...he seems like the player who does what he wants at times out there

I agree...he seems like the player who does what he wants at times out there

Yeah, particularly with a young team, etc. I mean, he's good--but is he "that" good? Hard for me to judge.

One thing's for sure, it would be great to upgrade that TE2 position, especially if the rumors about Chandler's chronic knee issues are true and he'll be let go.

Yeah, particularly with a young team, etc. I mean, he's good--but is he "that" good? Hard for me to judge.

One thing's for sure, it would be great to upgrade that TE2 position, especially if the rumors about Chandler's chronic knee issues are true and he'll be let go.

Ona vet team like the Pats with good leadership..i think he would be better

Favre in 2009 was an MVP candidate and Harvin did well. From 2010-2012 I give him even more credit than you do because he put up very respectable numbers with ****ty QBs throwing to him.

He still has the jets and can break games open but he can't stay on the field with any consistency. Because of various maladies he has only played in 36 games of a possible 64 games in the last 4 seasons.

All in all, I'm willing to take a chance on the guy. He's still a game breaker when he's on the field, and playing with Brady in this offense, I believe he has a chance to be special. We're not talking about a 3-5 year deal; we're probably talking about a one year incentive-laden deal that's in the 3-5 million range. Worth the shot for a talent like that.

I have no use for Amendola. I'd cut him if it were up to me. The guy drops the ball in big spots all the time and doesn't make enough plays for my liking. He's been a big disappointment IMO. Everyone says we need him as insurance in case Edelman goes down, but he's never adequately been able to fill that role of dependable slot WR.

If we could bring in Harvin and Anquan Boldin for 3-4 million per year each, I'd be very happy with that.
Both of them are better on the outside than Amendola, and both of them have experience playing in the slot successfully if Edelman were to go down. Harvin brings you more big play ability and Boldin brings you that reliability/consistency.

Chad Jackson was a failure for a variety of reasons. And yes, the year he was cut, he was fully healthy..

I know he was healthy when he was cut in 2008.

My question is, when you suffer that many consecutive injuries in such a short period of time to your leg areas, is it too debilitating to recover from?

From 06-07, Jackson suffered hamstring, groin, and ACL injuries that may have just rendered his body a shell of its former self.

Because you'd think even if he couldn't work out in the Pats system, which is notoriously difficult for guys who can't connect mentally with Brady, a guy with his natural physical skill set could find success in another less complex offense where he can just get vertical and use his 4.3 speed to blow by DB's downfield. Kind of like a Joey Galloway, who couldn't adapt mentally to this offense but had success throughout his career in other places using his great deep speed and natural physical tools.

Great idea, get rid of Amendola, who is a hard worker who plays through injuries, knows the offense, and has made all sorts of clutch catches for them and bring in Percy Harvin, who is a one trick pony who never plays through injury and gets run out of every town he plays I'm. They should replace Brady with Johnny Manziel while they are at it.

All in all, I'm willing to take a chance on the guy. He's still a game breaker when he's on the field, and playing with Brady in this offense, I believe he has a chance to be special. We're not talking about a 3-5 year deal; we're probably talking about a one year incentive-laden deal that's in the 3-5 million range. Worth the shot for a talent like that.

There is no denying Harvin has talent. Its all the other baggage. Look- if BB decides its worth taking a flyer on the guy I will still have major concerns. I would suppose that they would work out a deal structure along the lines you describe.

I have no use for Amendola. I'd cut him if it were up to me. The guy drops the ball in big spots all the time and doesn't make enough plays for my liking. He's been a big disappointment IMO. Everyone says we need him as insurance in case Edelman goes down, but he's never adequately been able to fill that role of dependable slot WR.

I think you are being too hard on DA. What you are not being hard on is that overall in his time here he has done less than what was expected of him when he signed with the team in 2013. Part of that is due to the emergence of JE, the other part is due to injury. In order to stay here he will need to take another pay cut so your wish might come true. Personally I'm hopeful they find a way to keep him at reasonable $. He knows the system, produces when healthy and is very good on STs.

If we could bring in Harvin and Anquan Boldin for 3-4 million per year each, I'd be very happy with that.
Both of them are better on the outside than Amendola, and both of them have experience playing in the slot successfully if Edelman were to go down. Harvin brings you more big play ability and Boldin brings you that reliability/consistency.

Boldin is ageless but I don't see the team paying $3-4m each for both of those guys. It'll be one or the other and it will be based on performance.

Last edited:
I have no use for Amendola. I'd cut him if it were up to me. The guy drops the ball in big spots all the time and doesn't make enough plays for my liking.

giphy.gif

When has he ever been a problem? Both Bennett's are "carefree" and I would take either in a heartbeat. Martellus Bennett would be a significant upgrade over Chandler and I'm all for it.

Last edited:

This is exactly what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back