PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL investigation-WFT emails...

Jerry Jones said that they're all accountable to even "a fleeting or minor part of our actions" so maybe they should just hand over their phones, pc's, any electronic device containing communications of a public or private nature, you know, just to be fair, and accountable.

Jerry Jones said that they're all accountable to even "a fleeting or minor part of our actions" so maybe they should just hand over their phones, pc's, any electronic device containing communications of a public or private nature, you know, just to be fair, and accountable.
Man, wouldnt that be funny

Said this in the Gruden thread, but it really makes me think about the Deshaun Watson situation. The Texans ownership/front office knew about his incidents for who knows how long, and seemed perfectly content to sweep it under the rug until it become strategically advantageous not to.

It's about leverage, not justice. Maybe this last bit is too much of a conspiracy theory, but the organization is having money problems and Gruden was monumentally overpaid.
Not too much conspiracy theory. You’re just following the money and asking good questions instead of getting distracted by inflammatory words.

A Washington Exec was emailing topless cheerleader pics which has somehow gone unnoticed. Shows how the NFL leaked the Gruden stuff so the focus would be on him. Probably enough in those emails to force Daniel Snyder out but the NFL will cover for him and not release those. The league office is as corrupt as they come.
A si.com article tells it as it is:

There’s this famous story from the 1987 players strike, in which then Cowboys president Tex Schramm encapsulated the situation facing NFLPA chief Gene Upshaw, who himself was once a Hall of Fame player during a dynastic Raiders era.
“Gene, here’s what you have to understand,” Schramm said offhandedly. “We’re the ranchers and you’re the cattle. And we can always get more cattle.
That story is a good reference point for anyone who covers or follows the NFL, and we got a reminder again Monday night, as The New York Times published a dump of Jon Gruden’s emails.

That's exactly how it is.

its laughable how far they will go to "protect the shield"...

eventually roger is gonna learn the cover up is always worse than the crime
Eventually the NFL is going to lose contain on one of these issues, and the fall will be epic.

The thing is, NFL is really the only thing keeping the TV industry afloat, and its downfall would in turn impact several large media conglomerates, so while it'd get dragged through the mud I'm sure they'd find a way to bounce back, there's just way too much money involved for it to be allowed to fail.

Seriously, HOW F* CYNICAL do you have to be?

To use an idol to many as a smokescreen so blatantly.

It's so tiresome sometimes

Huh?

A si.com article tells it as it is:

There’s this famous story from the 1987 players strike, in which then Cowboys president Tex Schramm encapsulated the situation facing NFLPA chief Gene Upshaw, who himself was once a Hall of Fame player during a dynastic Raiders era.
“Gene, here’s what you have to understand,” Schramm said offhandedly. “We’re the ranchers and you’re the cattle. And we can always get more cattle.
That story is a good reference point for anyone who covers or follows the NFL, and we got a reminder again Monday night, as The New York Times published a dump of Jon Gruden’s emails.

That's exactly how it is.

Eventually the NFL is going to lose contain on one of these issues, and the fall will be epic.

The thing is, NFL is really the only thing keeping the TV industry afloat, and its downfall would in turn impact several large media conglomerates, so while it'd get dragged through the mud I'm sure they'd find a way to bounce back, there's just way too much money involved for it to be allowed to fail.
Good points. This kind of makes me see this Gruden thing as akin to Deflategate. Especially if I look at the way Gruden's brother responded. He basically took the positive, don't burn your bridges response, saying his brother would come back stronger, blah, blah, blah, when most of us would be pissed off and out for ree-venge if was one of our family. So Gruden, take one (or $20M) for the NFL like Brady did, so we can hide our secrets (or Snyder's anyway) or make some group happy, and you'll be back soon enough.

Good points. This kind of makes me see this Gruden thing as akin to Deflategate. Especially if I look at the way Gruden's brother responded. He basically took the positive, don't burn your bridges response, saying his brother would come back stronger, blah, blah, blah, when most of us would be pissed off and out for ree-venge if was one of our family. So Gruden, take one (or $20M) for the NFL like Brady did, so we can hide our secrets (or Snyder's anyway) or make some group happy, and you'll be back soon enough.
I don't want to get into Deflategate too much since it can take us too far off topic, but it does seem to be one case where one of the ranchers took a hit.

I don't see Gruden bouncing back from this, unless Mark Davis is dumb enough to ask the NFL to let him bring him back in a few years and is willing to bribe all the rest of the rest of the owners to make it happen.

Andrew Brandt has surmised that Gruden probably did get a severance in the range of $10M-$20M, and presumed that was because Gruden knew where a few bodies were buried. The idea would be to pay that severance out over time to keep his mouth shut.

Ideally Davis would find someone else to lead the team and forget about Gruden, but it seems he has an enormous man-crush on him. Something tells me Davis is telling his IT team to nuke a lot of their emails right now.

Any distraction in a storm.
They are retiring his number. Why does that have anything to do with an investigation that has been ongoing a long time?

They are retiring his number. Why does that have anything to do with an investigation that has been ongoing a long time?
Because it feels like, due to the timing, they're trying to take the focus away from the investigation. One thing I don't know is if this was already in the plans for this weekend because I don't follow Washington's Football Team. But if it wasn't, the timing would definitely seem to be a little convenient.

Because it feels like, due to the timing, they're trying to take the focus away from the investigation. One thing I don't know is if this was already in the plans for this weekend because I don't follow Washington's Football Team. But if it wasn't, the timing would definitely seem to be a little convenient.
But there really isn’t a focus on the investigation right now, is there?

Ideally Davis would find someone else to lead the team and forget about Gruden, but it seems he has an enormous man-crush on him. Something tells me Davis is telling his IT team to nuke a lot of their emails right now.
I have a feeling a few teams are doing that right now. IIRC the Packers are the only publicly held company so Sarbanes-Oxley Act ( which requires retention of emails) applies to them but not private corporations UNLESS the privately held companies are part of a Federal investigation which isn't going on right now... Somebody more knowledgeable about S-O can correct me if wrong. The NFL could be looking for Rosemary Woods right now to accidentally delete 650,000 emails...

Here is info about the timing.

Amid skepticism Thursday morning over the timing of the Taylor announcement, a team spokesperson said in a statement that the organization started planning the ceremony before the season started and wanted it to be part of the franchise's alumni weekend. Another former player, ESPN analyst Ryan Clark, said he was contacted in September about attending.

The team's statement read, in part: "We have been planning this weekend's tribute to Sean Taylor since before the start of the season in partnership with Sean Taylor's family and as part of our Alumni weekend activities. ... We apologize to fans who would have liked more notice and will continue to share with fans ways we will be celebrating Sean Taylor's legacy over the next month."

I have a feeling a few teams are doing that right now. IIRC the Packers are the only publicly held company so Sarbanes-Oxley Act ( which requires retention of emails) applies to them but not private corporations UNLESS the privately held companies are part of a Federal investigation which isn't going on right now... Somebody more knowledgeable about S-O can correct me if wrong. The NFL could be looking for Rosemary Woods right now to accidentally delete 650,000 emails...

Retention of emails is not exactly a SOX requirement. It's more like retention of relevant emails. I believe section 802 of the SOX only asks you to keep them for 7 years and the emails are to be used to satisfy an audit.

These are personal emails....dunno....I am an accountant and I don't send off racist emails at work...so no idea.

I'll answer your earlier "huh?" with a "What?"
There was a focus on Gruden but I’ve seen nothing about the league talking about concluding the Washington investigation. Maybe I missed something.
That’s kind of my point the league is keeping the focus off of it by themselves, why would Washington choose now to distract.

There was a focus on Gruden but I’ve seen nothing about the league talking about concluding the Washington investigation. Maybe I missed something.
That’s kind of my point the league is keeping the focus off of it by themselves, why would Washington choose now to distract.

They have 649,999 reasons to do so....

I'd be willing to bet Colin Kaepernick's name is mentioned a lot in the emails that the league doesn't want released.

Wouldn't it be fun if there are deflategate emails in there too? My popcorn is ready.

I'll answer your earlier "huh?" with a "What?"
It seems despite the outcry that NFL should release the results of its investigation into Snyder and the WFT and release the 650,000 emails that they have largely been able to resist doing so by simply ignoring those calls.

The bottom line is: who can force them to do so?

I think the answer is no one, so I think they'll keep a lid on it for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: In the eyes of the NFL, it is already a closed case:
A year-long independent investigation into the team's workplace culture, led by lawyer Beth Wilkinson, was concluded in July 2021.[62][63] It found that several incidents of sexual harassment, bullying, and intimidation were commonplace throughout the organization under his ownership.[63] The NFL fined the team $10 million in response, with Snyder also voluntary stepping down from running the team's day-to-day operations for a few months, giving those responsibilities to his wife Tanya.[63]
Ref: Daniel Snyder - Wikipedia

Basically he got his wrist slapped, kind of like Colts owner Robert Irsay who got busted for DUI with a briefcase filled with pills and $15,000 cash.

So Brady destroying his phone was a very intelligent move

well, refusing to turn it over would seem like the right move. destroying it gave bad optics…

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back