PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL investigation-WFT emails...

I can only imagine how it would have gone if he hadn't. If anyone doesn't believe Brady is human and said a few derogatory things about Goodell via text during that fiasco, they're wrong. Not to mention all the personal conversations.

I don't blame Brady one bit and there's no way whatsoever I would have turned it over either. Heck, I don't even trade in my phones when I get a new one, so I'll never understand why people were up in arms over that. I don't trust Goodell or the league investigators to stick to the topic at hand and handle it the right way, let alone also give them full access to my phone.

Let's be honest, every investigation we've seen to this point has gotten almost nowhere and dragged out, or seen unrelated data come out or rulings made based on opinion ("more probable than not"...really?). It's completely ridiculous and absolutely shady. While I 100% disagree with what Gruden said in those emails and I don't feel bad about the outcome, what do he or Schefter have to do with this investigation?

Just another reminder that the league hasn't been great about keeping things in-house and again, had I been Brady, I would have done exactly what he did and not given the phone up either.

do you really think wiping your phone before trading it in is still not safe?

Love to know what advantages the Texans are lavishing in right now
They don't have to gain advantages. They just had to think they were going to.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
It seems despite the outcry that NFL should release the results of its investigation into Snyder and the WFT and release the 650,000 emails that they have largely been able to resist doing so by simply ignoring those calls.

The bottom line is: who can force them to do so?

I think the answer is no one, so I think they'll keep a lid on it for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: In the eyes of the NFL, it is already a closed case:

Ref: Daniel Snyder - Wikipedia

Basically he got his wrist slapped, kind of like Colts owner Robert Irsay who got busted for DUI with a briefcase filled with pills and $15,000 cash.
That was my point. If the league keeps it under wraps why is there a need for a distraction?

well, refusing to turn it over would seem like the right move. destroying it gave bad optics…
Maybe it presented bad optics to the casual NFL fan, and particularly to those who already wanted to see the Patriots take one in the chops, but for those who spent any time following the case and seeing how NFL did its "investigations", no one with an ounce of common sense would hand over their phone to them.

do you really think wiping your phone before trading it in is still not safe?
I do. But I'm a weirdo like that. And since all of my emails, passwords, etc. are on there and I know that data can be recovered even after it's wiped, it's just something I refuse to do. Not saying I'm right, just saying the nutcase in me won't let me feel good enough to do it.

Bad optics or giving the league all the dirt it could want on him. Not much of a choice

Maybe it presented bad optics to the casual NFL fan, and particularly to those who already wanted to see the Patriots take one in the chops, but for those who spent any time following the case and seeing how NFL did its "investigations", no one with an ounce of common sense would hand over their phone to them.

i would have kept it locked up somewhere…if memory serves me correctly, Favre refused to hand his phone over but didn't destroy it

if that was all that safe, data recovery wouldn't be a well paid gig if you can get it.
Sufficiently tech savvy people can confidently wipe a device and not expect the data to be recovered, but I'd say your average person is better off just smashing it with a hammer. Then again, cloud storage...

The owners knew exactly what they'd find with Snyder. That's why the report by that lawyer was verbal. Nothing written down, nothing electronic. To me it's obvious, protect the shield means the owners from themselves.

if the league keeps it under wraps
You lost me at that part of the sentence ;)

Ask Gruden and Schefter how that's worked out so far?

It seems despite the outcry that NFL should release the results of its investigation into Snyder and the WFT and release the 650,000 emails that they have largely been able to resist doing so by simply ignoring those calls.

The bottom line is: who can force them to do so?
I can’t believe I am going to say this. It goes against every fiber of my being. This is an anathema to my existence, but here goes: <taking a deep breath>

I sure wish Congress would get involved.

Wait - what did I miss re Schefter? Was it the Mr Editor thing or was there more?

i would have kept it locked up somewhere…if memory serves me correctly, Favre refused to hand his phone over but didn't destroy it
the CBA gives the league the power of subpoena. The only way to keep them from accessing your data on your phone is to destroy the phone. That's why Brady lost in federal court. The CBA at the moment gives the NFL the kind of powers normally reserved for the 8 year old who found a genie and wished for a million wishes. It's so bad I can only assume the NFLPA is in on it for whatever reason.

I do. But I'm a weirdo like that. And since all of my emails, passwords, etc. are on there and I know that data can be recovered even after it's wiped, it's just something I refuse to do. Not saying I'm right, just saying the nutcase in me won't let me feel good enough to do it.
Concern about losing a phone, easy to do is why I have no significant info on my phone. No passwords, etc. I know, a troglodyte.

the CBA gives the league the power of subpoena. The only way to keep them from accessing your data on your phone is to destroy the phone. That's why Brady lost in federal court. The CBA at the moment gives the NFL the kind of powers normally reserved for the 8 year old who found a genie and wished for a million wishes. It's so bad I can only assume the NFLPA is in on it for whatever reason.

what? the nfl has no law enforcment mechanism like subpoena power over their players. only courts and congress issue subpoenas. and Brady lost in federal court because court ruled that Goodell had the power to discipline players under the CBA Art. 2.

btw, as an aside, brady lost 2-1 at the 2nd circuit. the only judge who sided with Brady, Robert Katzmann, died recently.

I can’t believe I am going to say this. It goes against every fiber of my being. This is an anathema to my existence, but here goes: <taking a deep breath>

I sure wish Congress would get involved.
I think that they're just about the only ones who can do anything.

Wait - what did I miss re Schefter? Was it the Mr Editor thing or was there more?
AFAIK it's just that, the bad optics of appearing to give Bruce Allen editorial control over his work product.

Schefter now says he did not cede any control, was just doing so for fact checking purposes, he only rarely does this, yada yada.

I agree with an earlier poster saying that either he did give Allen veto power or he was too lazy to just send him the facts he wanted checked, either way it's bad journalism.

The owners knew exactly what they'd find with Snyder. That's why the report by that lawyer was verbal. Nothing written down, nothing electronic. To me it's obvious, protect the shield means the owners from themselves.
I'm sure something is written down, but it's 'protected work product' subject to client-attorney privilege, yada yada.

None of that will see the light of day, IMO.

But there really isn’t a focus on the investigation right now, is there?
Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back