PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Week 11: Other Games Thread

I forgot there was football tonight. Did I miss anything?

I do NOT trust Goondell and the league to act appropriately....this is the same division they allowed that Bengal psychopath, Burfict to play in for 5 years
The problem for the league concerning this incident is it occurred on national TV and will be shown everywhere -- including non-sports networks -- for the next two days at least in slow-mo replay. R. Stokoe Goodell will be under immense pressure to nip this PR disaster in the bud ASAP by announcing suspensions/fines. I'm guessing we'll hear something Friday.

Why is Rudolph even trying to take off a defensive lineman's helmet? Garrett was totally wrong, but to me I can't help but watch that sequence of events and see Rudolph looking like a bit of a b**** in all that.

I mean, you got body slammed after a late hit, and your first response is to try to take a guy's helmet off? And then you embarrass yourself when you can't, and get embarrassed further when the other guy takes your helmet off instead. And then you go after the guy, get smoked in the head with your own helmet (another reminder he took your helmet instead of you taking his) and your first reaction then is to put your hands up like a girl and look for the ref?

I do NOT trust Goondell and the league to act appropriately....this is the same division they allowed that Bengal psychopath, Burfict to play in for 5 years

Haynesworth got 5 games for face stomping Guorode. I expect Garrett to get the rest of the season off, or at least the rest of the regular season.

Of course, as you point out, we're talking about the Ommissioner here.

Anybody putting even 1% of blame on Mason is crazy. I don’t care what he did you wanna hit someone punch them **** you doing hitting him with a helmet

Lost in all this brouhaha is the game itself SUCKED...that is the real problem the league should be addressing

Why is Rudolph even trying to take off a defensive lineman's helmet? Garrett was totally wrong, but to me I can't help but watch that sequence of events and see Rudolph looking like a bit of a b**** in all that.

I mean, you got body slammed after a late hit, and your first response is to try to take a guy's helmet off? And then you embarrass yourself when you can't, and get embarrassed further when the other guy takes your helmet off instead. And then you go after the guy, get smoked in the head with your own helmet (another reminder he took your helmet instead of you taking his) and your first reaction then is to put your hands up like a girl and look for the ref?

Rudolph had been needlessly slammed to the ground, and had his head hit the turf. He was then stuck under Garrett, who was, at best, taking his sweet time getting off the QB. Rudolph was trying to get Garrett off of him.

Anybody putting even 1% of blame on Mason is crazy. I don’t care what he did you wanna hit someone punch them **** you doing hitting him with a helmet

Absolutely. It's just a tussle until that helmet goes swinging.

Mayfield:

“I don’t think there’s anything in that moment that I can really say to calm him down. The reality is he’s going to get suspended, we don’t know how long, and that hurts our team. We can’t do that. We can’t continue to hurt this team. It’s inexcusable,” Mayfield said.

I don’t care if Garrett knifed a guy on the field - Mayfield will never again (if he even ever has) be the leader of this locker room. No teammate should ever call out s player like this no matter what he’s done. Mayfield seems to say something stupid and controversial ever six seconds, but this one crosses the line. When Gronk delivered that elbow against Buffalo, did you hear Brady calling him out? Of course not. So easy to handle this question:

“Myles plays with a lot of passion...I feel like we all get caught in the moment and frustration spills over. I’m sure he knows that wasn’t his finest moment, and I support him as a teammate. I hope no one got hurt there.”

But he didn’t say that.

This dude is going to be out of the league in a hear or two. He is a terrible leader and teammate. He throws tantrums at reporters, fans of the team, and publicly calls out teammates. I’m guessing this locker room is going to be fractured from his presence, if everyone hasn’t just turned against him.

Rudolph had been needlessly slammed to the ground, and had his head hit the turf. He was then stuck under Garrett, who was, at best, taking his sweet time getting off the QB. Rudolph was trying to get Garrett off of him.
I understand why Rudolph might be angry with that, I just don't get why his first reaction is to try to take the guy's helmet off.

where's Cris Carter when you need him, huh? These players gotta get themselves a fall guy

Mayfield:

“I don’t think there’s anything in that moment that I can really say to calm him down. The reality is he’s going to get suspended, we don’t know how long, and that hurts our team. We can’t do that. We can’t continue to hurt this team. It’s inexcusable,” Mayfield said.

I don’t care if Garrett knifed a guy on the field - Mayfield will never again (if he even ever has) be the leader of this locker room. No teammate should ever call out s player like this no matter what he’s done. Mayfield seems to say something stupid and controversial ever six seconds, but this one crosses the line. When Gronk delivered that elbow against Buffalo, did you hear Brady calling him out? Of course not. So easy to handle this question:

“Myles plays with a lot of passion...I feel like we all get caught in the moment and frustration spills over. I’m sure he knows that wasn’t his finest moment, and I support him as a teammate. I hope no one got hurt there.”

But he didn’t say that.

This dude is going to be out of the league in a hear or two. He is a terrible leader and teammate. He throws tantrums at reporters, fans of the team, and publicly calls out teammates. I’m guessing this locker room is going to be fractured from his presence, if everyone hasn’t just turned against him.

Garrett.
Swung.
A.
Helmet.
At.
A.
Guy.
With intent.

I understand why Rudolph might be angry with that, I just don't get why his first reaction is to try to take the guy's helmet off.

His first reaction was to roll a bit and then grab around Garrett as best he could.

yeah...that's what I should tell the millions of kids that watched this criminal assault

tell them oh don’t have your QBs back whe he’s getting hit by a helmet. Hell if didn’t have his back that would be a problem if he was my teammate

And now we've got some idiot on local radio calling for criminal charges.
Facepalm.gif
Good thing it isn’t in Montreal

Mayfield:

But he didn’t say that.

Mayfields gonna hurt the team with his crappy play, not this quote.

Garrett.
Swung.
A.
Helmet.
At.
A.
Guy.
With intent.

Yes - and that’s horrible. Where have I defended Garrett?

The “leader” of the football team doesn’t need to point out how bad his teammate acted. It doesn’t matter who’s right or wrong, you either side with your teammate, or as in this case, so your best stay out of it. “Inexcusable” should not be the headline from the Browns QB regarding the situation. We already know it’s inexcusable.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back