PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing about free agency, every one likes the shiny new toy but it is like a new iPhone it does the same basic thing and you pay 120% to get it first. This is not when the best teams shine, it's not the NE, Pitt, GB's offering contracts it's the jax, Miami, and atlanta's of the league which should tell you all you need to know what buying now gets you. What ends up happening every year is after the draft a team got another shiny new toy and cuts a productive vet who is overpaid. The money on the market is dried up and you get that productive vet for pennies on the dollar. That is when having the extra money from not buying now matters and why I am totally fine with not having paid the insane contracts that got handed out. Plus if there is no productive vet on the market in May then in June they will be going to the big 4 which would be top free agents if they hit the market. I know this time of year sucks a little but patience has made NE the best team in the NFL for the past 15 years.

Why is Cannon still on the team?
There are some very real rumors that Vollmer might not be on the team next season. Howe can't talk about the tackle position without mentioning the long term concerns about Vollmer's ankle, and I think it was one of the PFW guys that sounded pretty convinced that he'll either take a pay cut or be gone. Considering Waddle's awful play in Detroit last year and prompt injury in NE, that puts Cannon in the spotlight at RT, and there's a quote from his new/old OL coach a few years ago that sure makes it sound like Cannon is capable of being the starting RT.

Yes, I know that idea scares people to death.

Nate WAshington visited today

I mentioned him in my long earlier post about possible fits. Would love to bring him in.

He's 32 years old so he's not young but not yet "old". And it'll please @ChrisR2223 to know he was originally signed as a UDFA and played several years for the Steelers.

Last edited:
He can still play but slim chance of making the team.

Didn't he roast Malcolm or Ryan on a long ball?
Yes, 49 yards against Butler. Sounds like Dobson competition to me, perhaps with a draft pick joining in that fight as well. Hogan adds some size and athleticism, but they'll want a backup with that skill set as well.

I don't think this says anything about Amendola. He should worry if we hear any news about somebody more like Boldin or Kerley.

Mind blowing how many people think cutting Amendola is a good idea. Sure he is overpaid but cutting Amendola and replacing him with any FA WR currently on the market is at least a massive downgrade with the possibility of turning out as a disaster.

Mind blowing how many people think cutting Amendola is a good idea. Sure he is overpaid but cutting Amendola and replacing him with any FA WR currently on the market is at least a massive downgrade with the possibility of turning out as a disaster.

Do you see his cap number though?

If there was a purpose for cutting him (e.g. they need the money to give to Player A, B, or C) I guess I would understand. But there's really just this weird bloodlust for cutting him because fans have deemed themselves team-building and salary cap experts and somehow Danny's $6.8m is keeping the Pats from having the best, most luxurious, tremendous free agent pickups.

I wouldn't even blame him for resisting a pay cut (unless he's getting something out of it...more years, opportunity to earn it back, whatever) because in this market he might damn well get a pretty similar payout to what he is presently in line for somewhere else.

Yeah, the guy who knows a notoriously difficult system and is trusted by the team's quarterback and caught 65 passes in 14 games last season can certainly be easily replaced by any of this cheap and plentiful group of superstars waiting for a call from Belichick.

View attachment 12446

Amendola on the market right now would get at least what he's being paid by the Pats. And we know that he can work with Brady, which is more than I can say for anyone on that list!

Do you see his cap number though?
Don't they only save like 4.1 by cutting him? As far as I'm concerned that's his real cap number. That other 2.7 is dead money either way. 4.1 is good value for him. Super clutch player that you need to win tight games.

Don't they only save like 4.1 by cutting him? As far as I'm concerned that's his real cap number. That other 2.7 is dead money either way. 4.1 is good value for him. Super clutch player that you need to win tight games.

Using your number, $4.1m, you get just about the AAV of Hogan's deal.

Yeah, the guy who knows a notoriously difficult system and is trusted by the team's quarterback and caught 65 passes in 14 games last season can certainly be easily replaced by any of this cheap and plentiful group of superstars waiting for a call from Belichick.

View attachment 12446

king percy will arrive shortly.

You are correct. If and when they make a move or plan to make a move that necessitates shedding that $4.1m to accommodate that player on the cap, then make another run at forcing him into a pay cut or cut him.

Using your number, $4.1m, you get just about the AAV of Hogan's deal.
Or about what they saved by cutting Lafell and Chandler.

Assuming he stays on the team for 2016 DA has a 6.5m savings with just a 1.3m dead money hit next year. If Hogan works out this year (Martin too) then you have a different situation next year. But if the cap leaps $10m again, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back