PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, only thing is he basing that off of something he heard from his sources or off the tweet from "NFL Draft Insider" saying he was visiting.
It would be a strange inference from "visiting" to "leaning to", but then again, sports media people are doing strange things all the time.

Most importantly, if we sign Weddle will we still take a random safety in the second round? :)

Where would Harmon fit if Weddle is in the fold?

Harmon could start on a good amount of teams and he'd be our 4th safety? He's also going to get paid next season and going to leave anyway.

I wonder if we do sign Weddle then Harmon would be put on the trade block. He could help way more teams than ours. He'd probably be the Giants best safety for instance.

Weddle and Long have Patriot written all over them.
Tavon Wilson for Eric Wedddle makes sense to me.

Sports hub today said james L never visited the patriots so not sure if true

Well the report was Pats had interest in him and then something got tweeted out from an account assoicated to his dad that both he and Chris Long follow and people assumed he had visited teams but it could have easily meant he has visits lined up with the teams

If we indeed sign Weddle (still hard to believe unless Weddle takes a major discount), then I'd imagine Harmon will be traded.

If we indeed sign Weddle (still hard to believe unless Weddle takes a major discount), then I'd imagine Harmon will be traded.
I'd probably demand at least a fourth. Otherwise I'd hate to give away quality depth in the secondary.

I'd probably demand at least a fourth. Otherwise I'd hate to give away quality depth in the secondary.
Lines up with what I'd like in a Harmon trade.

Same place he does now with Chung:

- Depth safety in case of McCourty injury
- 3rd safety in 3rd and long situations
- FS when McCourty's assignment lines him up 1-on-1 with someone at the line

The difference really is Chung becomes a "big nickel" back and 3rd down linebacker, as well as rotational depth at SS.

Hmmm perhaps trade him. I think he'll definitely leave in FA next year to a team who'd offer him solid starter money.

Weddle expected to make his choice within the next 24 hours

Ya, only thing is he basing that off of something he heard from his sources or off the tweet from "NFL Draft Insider" saying he was visiting.

A very important consideration. When Mayo retired the Pats lost that Vet presence. Vince was another who the Team looked up to. Other than Branch and Nink on the "D" who are more soft spoken, the Pat defense is young. Maybe McCourty is growing into that guy, but any additional solid accountable veteran players that can rally the Defense like a Long and Weddle, are a worth while add.

I still think another WR is needed plus a pick. Danny's contract expires next year. Dobson is still an enigma. Martin is more ST and a back up. And the rest might not make it out of camp. I think Bolden for two years is the best pick up for TB. He still gets open because he can't be jammed.

Get the three Rams and Bolden signed and perhaps steal Kelvin Belcher and you have a great FA.

DW Toys

I would be really surprised if Weddle signed here but it would be an interesting approach to, the lack of depth at LB and would signal even more use of sub packages. Ultimately I think Belichick, is moving towards a completely situational defense.

I would be really surprised if Weddle signed here but it would be an interesting approach to, the lack of depth at LB and would signal even more use of sub packages. Ultimately I think Belichick, is moving towards a completely situational defense.

Why would it be a surprise? He gets to pair up with an excellent safety duo, play on a legit defense, big market team, and a team that's in SB contention every single year.

Weddle was on the Chargers when McDaniels was coaching the Doncos. So at worst, we can blame McDaniels if this signing goes poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST