PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Peppers would be an upgrade over a few current Pats. He is a UFA, so any contract that pay pays him more than 2.6 a year, will cost the Pats the 6th rd pick they were going to get for losing Karras. (I doubt any other Pats UFA will sign a contract that will qualify for any more comp picks, maybe if someone signs Hightower, but I doubt it).

Last edited:
7-8 million seems high for a guy who tore his ACL in late October of last year. A one year prove-it deal would seem to be the most likely scenario.
He's been a starter most of his career and the market is inflated now to the point where this isn't even considered to be a lot of money anymore.

Jabril Peppers is spot on the type of signing that makes little waves but come November/December everyone is saying "Bill did it again!"

Jabril Peppers is spot on the type of signing that makes little waves but come November/December everyone is saying "Bill did it again!"

Slightly different player, but feels a lot like the Phillips signing two years ago.

Doesn’t he also return punts?

The medicals will be important here, because a week 7 ACL tear is that awkward spot where it's realistic to be back in time for training camp and play 17 games or to go on PUP, not practice until week 7, and not play until week 9.

I can't imagine Peppers off a torn ACL is a guy that they're willing to lose a comp 6th for, so it wouldn't surprise me if his contract comes in way lower than expected ($2.5M range) or they wait another 5 weeks until signings don't count for comp picks anymore.

The medicals will be important here, because a week 7 ACL tear is that awkward spot where it's realistic to be back in time for training camp and play 17 games or to go on PUP, not practice until week 7, and not play until week 9.

I can't imagine Peppers off a torn ACL is a guy that they're willing to lose a comp 6th for, so it wouldn't surprise me if his contract comes in way lower than expected ($2.5M range) or they wait another 5 weeks until signings don't count for comp picks anymore.

I guess one angle would be if they view Peppers as a strong candidate to take over for McCourty next year (when it's very probable he'll retire). In that case, they don't need him this year quite as much. They still have Devin, Phillips, and Dugger, as well as Mills if they can bolster the CB group some more. So they sign Peppers to a multi-year deal, he plays half a season in 2022, then gets a full time FS role in 2023. Don't know if that's what they'd be thinking, but it seems viable to me.

2020 Highlights of Peppers...couple of PBUs of Tommy Boy included

Butler CB
Mills CB
Jones slot CB
Peppers DB

McCourty S
Phillips S
Dugger S

I know a lot is predicated on Butler having gas left in the tank but this secondary would be more like 2015-2016 than 2008-2011 IMO. Great safeties paired with competent CB play with hopefully a rookie CB included.

In 2020 Peppers had 300 snaps at CB, 383 snaps in the box & 143 snaps at FS. That’s versatility.

But if the guy is worth it talent-wise, then essentially trading a 2023 6th for him is a no-brainer. You don't pass on a guy who you think is gonna help you this year in order to protect a 2023 6th who has a 10% chance of even making the team. I don't think his salary is gonna enter into this decision too much.

Butler CB
Mills CB
Jones slot CB
Peppers DB

McCourty S
Phillips S
Dugger S

I know a lot is predicated on Butler having gas left in the tank but this secondary would be more like 2015-2016 than 2008-2011 IMO. Great safeties paired with competent CB play with hopefully a rookie CB included.

In 2020 Peppers had 300 snaps at CB, 383 snaps in the box & 143 snaps at FS. That’s versatility.
Was Kyle Dugger an older prospect?? 26 already seems like he just came in the league.

a starter, a #4 safety and punt returner

That's plenty to want him, depending on health.

I like the idea of signing Peppers. He's young and could feasibly be with the team for a few years. Offers some versatility as a Chung type.

He could simply be a depth piece but if Bill thinks of him as a starting player, I wonder how he fits with 3 obvious starters in McCourty, Dugger and Phillips. Could see Phillips play a bit more LB like he did in 2020 or that could be Peppers role. Mayo did. say we wanted more speed on D.

edit: and yes Dugger. was 24 when we drafted him. Was an older prospect.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back