PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

It isn’t just the Pats. No competent agent is going to let a team alter his client’s contract without his permission, no matter how much of a no-brainer the conversion seems to be for the player. It gives the player some leverage, in case the team has few other options to open up cap space, even if most don’t use that leverage.

“Sure, my guy will agree to that….IF you tack on this new incentive as well.”
The Patriots are currently the ONLY team that do not have the AUTOMATIC Salary Conversion language in their contracts. Meaning that they are the only ones who still have to ask the Player before they do the Salary to Signing bonus conversion to free up money.

Clowney is great but doubt we spend the money. Sign Hicks and Flowers, keep Godchaux. Now all we need is to draft a monster DT in the middle. Johnson at DE would be nice though.

Muma in the draft solves your Tavai issue.

Agholor plus a draft pick like the kid from Rutgers. A jitterbug type later in the draft would be nice. Harry can go but I expect BB to keep him on short money to block. Wilkerson has stone hands, great kid, great athlete but will never be a NFL WR. We need to move on from Harry and Wilkerson.
Last year, the Pats primary formation was the Nickel. They had 2 DL, 2 EDGE, and 2 LB. They would swap out an EDGE player for an additional DL (Wise) at times.

If the Pats continue with that (and all signs say they are) then they have a minimum of 7 players at the LB position currently. Those players are Tavai, McMillan, Wilson, Langi, McGrone, Hall, and Bentley. The one player I'm not sure where they'll move him to is Jennings. He was at LB his Rookie year. He seemed really out of position there. I expect McGrone to cut his teeth on Special teams. It's interesting that Bentley is back because his contract has him as a back-up more than a starter. My hope is that Wilson and McMillan will be the starters with McGrone, Bentley, Draftpick (Muma?) being the primary reserves. Langi would then be primarily a ST and they could potentially have Tavai and Hall on the PS., provided that the PS rules don't revert back to PRE-Covid.

So, if the Pats DO take someone like Muma, they'd have a lot of depth there (on paper).

I still expect to see Agholor traded for a pick. I wouldn't mind seeing Meyers signed to an RFA tender and the Pats taking the pick instead of matching. Then they could address the X position in this draft as well. Someone like Christian Watson. For the Slot, Phillips or Melton would be sweet. And at KR/PR, I've found a binkie in Swiss Army Knife, Marcus Jones. Someone who could be a back-up for the slot but also be a gadget guy, lining up in the backfield OR lining up in the slot on Defense when the Pats need a second slot Corner.

Well that’s a name I hadn’t heard about

He's a fantastic player. My closest colleage at work is a Giants fan and played in college so he knows ball. By all accounts he was the best defensive player they have had in a minute.

Could make someone like Cody Davis expendable. I know Davis is a good Special Teamer but that's all he provides and he is going to be 33 in a few months. Peppers stats...

1648474047093.png

1648474023208.png

Last edited:
Could make someone like Cody Davis expendable. I know Davis is a good Special Teamer but that's all he provides and he is going to be 33 in a few months.
Davis or Brandon King.

Don’t let him leave without signing a contact please.

I remember a lot of folks wanting him coming out of the draft. Havent watched a minute of him in NFL but sign me up

Wonder how much money Peppers would command. He seems like a 5-8m/year player but I could be way off.

He's a fantastic player. My closest colleage at work is a Giants fan and played in college so he knows ball. By all accounts he was the best defensive player they have had in a minute.

When he is on the field. He is coming off of a….wait for it….ACL tear. I’ve always been on the impression that he is a liability in coverage but I could be wrong. Judge should definitely have a good feel for him. I wouldn’t be against it.

Wonder how much money Peppers would command. He seems like a 5-8m/year player but I could be way off.

7-8 million seems high for a guy who tore his ACL in late October of last year. A one year prove-it deal would seem to be the most likely scenario.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back