NFL eliminates the 75-man cutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

So you are going to go from 93-53! Oh the carnage! that would mean that 1280 NFL players are all going to get cut on the Saturday before the opening weekend!

At least you won't have to worry about not having enough scrubs to play the last pre-season game.

This is going to really hurt some veterans. BB likes to cut a veteran early if he knows he is not going to make the team to give him a shot at landing on another team's roster.

I'm surprised that they didn't up the in-season roster size, as well, if they're going to keep 90 players around that much longer. Sorting through all those waiver wire transactions in a shorter time frame is going to cause people to fall through the cracks.

It would seem to me that teams could still have their own cutdown deadlines. Guys get released all the time prior to the league deadlines.

Makes sense, let teams do what they want as long as they get it down to 53. I bet a lot of teams will do cut downs earlier anyways. NFLPA might not like it though...not that anyone has ever cared what they think.

What is their rationale for this change?

Likely the Week 4 pre-season game.

Essentially teams will be now be playing that game with 37 guys that will be cut or put on the practice squad, instead of just 22.. Which means key depth guys like Harmon, Rowe and Amendola that are roster locks won't have to be put out there outside of maybe a series or two because of a numbers situation.

Likely the Week 4 pre-season game.

Essentially teams will be now be playing that game with 37 guys that will be cut or put on the practice squad, instead of just 22.. Which means key depth guys like Harmon, Rowe and Amendola that are roster locks won't have to be put out there outside of maybe a series or two because of a numbers situation.

Just thinking out loud here:
If teams do field a complete game day roster of future cuts in that final preseason game, fans who paid full price to attend an all-scrub game will certainly feel ripped off which might create the impetus to finally eliminate the final preseason game and extend the regular season by one game. Fan pressure will be directed at the NFLPA because they are the entity unwilling to add an extra game.
Or maybe not

I wish they would up the roster to 60 players and let people come back from IR at any time if they are ready. Wouldn't that help with concussion problems/rushing people back too early/rosters being decimated by the end of the season for teams hit by the injury bug? I don't get the NFL sometimes.

So you are going to go from 93-53! Oh the carnage! that would mean that 1280 NFL players are all going to get cut on the Saturday before the opening weekend!

At least you won't have to worry about not having enough scrubs to play the last pre-season game.

This is going to really hurt some veterans. BB likes to cut a veteran early if he knows he is not going to make the team to give him a shot at landing on another team's roster.

Nothing prevents that now. It's just not required.

This pretty much ensures the fourth preseason game will showcase scrubeennies that are as far away from making an an NFL roster as possible. Way to go NFL.

I'm surprised there's no thread of the corrupt 32 agreeing to reduce OT from 15 to 10 minutes. That's ridiculous!

Instead of doing that they should have just switched to college rules except 2 point conversions start right away.

This is not about player safety. It's about advertising and what they don't get from overtime.

I wish they would up the roster to 60 players and let people come back from IR at any time if they are ready...
I would settle for an increase to 55; and besides relaxing IR restrictions, I would also approve of the elimination of the game-day inactive roster.

I bet most teams still follow a schedule very similar to the old one in terms of number of cutdowns by such-and-such date.

This set of tweets nails it pretty well..

Chance to bring 2 guys from IR is a real changer for roster management . not only from the point of bringing guys back but also opening more opportunities of choosing to put players on IR (incl. stashing). One can so easily imagine Pats will make the most of this new rules..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back