PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL coaching and executives carousel: news and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't suck based on what? Oregon?

He's the 3rd best quarterback in his own division, he threw more picks than TDs in the 3rd year of his career.

Go find a quarterback who's done that in the last 20 years then turned out to be top 10 QB.

Drew Brees

Drew Brees

Good one but it was really the 2nd season of Brees because he didn't start a single game in his first year.

His 3rd season of actual football he had 27 TDs 7 INT and a 104 QB rating.

Good one but it was really the 2nd season of Brees because he didn't start a single game in his first year.

His 3rd season of actual football he had 27 TDs 7 INT and a 104 QB rating.

You said 3rd year of his career, I found one. He struggled in his 3rd year to the point that they drafted his replacement (Rivers), then later became a star. This does not mean that Mariota will have a similar arc, it just means that the scenario you outlined happened with Brees.

I wonder why the jets waited so long to fire their OC ?
This means 3 new OCs in the AFC East in 2018.

A day after announcing that Todd Haley is out as offensive coordinator, the Steelers have announced that Randy Fichtner has been promoted to replace him.

Fichtner is now officially the Steelers’ offensive coordinator. The team said he will continue to coach the quarterbacks as well, perhaps in a nod to his good relationship with Ben Roethlisberger.
Steelers announce Randy Fichtner promoted to offensive coordinator

I wonder why the jets waited so long to fire their OC ?
This means 3 new OCs in the AFC East in 2018.

Steelers announce Randy Fichtner promoted to offensive coordinator

It's interesting that this is the route they chose to take. I wonder why they felt a need to replace him. It seems to me the OC for the Steelers was never the problem. Perhaps he should have called more QB sneaks but I'm not sure if the OC has the play calling duties in Pitt. I felt their overall scheme an offensive plan was decent all year.

A lot of the problem was bad execution or Ben unwilling to check out of a play he should have. If the only problem is the play calling shouldn't that at least half fall on the QB? It isn't like this is Ben's first year. He must have the leeway to audible and if not one has to ask why.

It's interesting that this is the route they chose to take. I wonder why they felt a need to replace him. It seems to me the OC for the Steelers was never the problem. Perhaps he should have called more QB sneaks but I'm not sure if the OC has the play calling duties in Pitt. I felt their overall scheme an offensive plan was decent all year.

A lot of the problem was bad execution or Ben unwilling to check out of a play he should have. If the only problem is the play calling shouldn't that at least half fall on the QB? It isn't like this is Ben's first year. He must have the leeway to audible and if not one has to ask why.
Haley couldn’t get along with people. Always been an issue for him. Pretty much a dlck.

I've read this pretty much every where he has went.

haley.jpg

Ben claims that he does not have the authority to audible into a QB sneak, which could be one of the reasons why Haley was fired. That, and the fact that the two never got along and had chemistry issues. Oh, and Haley is a known weirdo who has gotten himself negative attention one too many times.

It will be interesting to see if anyone wants him, and at what capacity.

Rams’ OC Matt Lafleur is interviewing today for Titans’ HC job, per source. Texans’ DC Mike Vrabel and Panthers’ DC Steve Wilks interviewed for job Thursday.

I wonder if Robinson regrets that playoff win, or even making the playoffs, as firing Mularkey earlier might have given him a chance to get McDaniels before he decided on the Colts.

The #AZCardinals are hosting #Panthers DC Steve Wilks and #Falcons ST coach Keith Armstrong on their second head-coach interviews today, sources say. The search could continue into next week.

Because of the draft position and the need for a QB, this is probably the worst HC opening from this season. That can change in a hurry, if they can get a quality QB via the FA route. They should open up the vault in an effort to get that done.

Because of the draft position and the need for a QB, this is probably the worst HC opening from this season. That can change in a hurry, if they can get a quality QB via the FA route. They should open up the vault in an effort to get that done.

The Cardinals only have $10m in capspace(although it looks like that counts Palmer as playing). They don't exactly have room to sign a QB

The Cardinals only have $10m in capspace(although it looks like that counts Palmer as playing). They don't exactly have room to sign a QB

I hear what you're saying, but...

This could actually be a year where a few decent to quality QBs hit the market. Given their draft situation, the Cardinals should think long and hard about going after one, and there is a report out there along these lines, though I can't vouch for its accuracy.

I was also told that the Arizona Cardinals are likely to make a big run at Cousins, as they will be locked out from any of the top signal callers with the 15th pick.

Arizona Cardinals may pursue Kirk Cousins in free agency

Cap status is one of the reasons I've rated the Cardinals HC job as the worst of this offseason, but numbers games can be played. Palmer's retirement clears something like $14m off the books, as I recall. Cutting Bethea would clear about $3.5m. Other moves are there to be made, either with cuts/retirements or with restructures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye