PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL bans ALL hits where player lowers head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the safety position has to make a split second decision when tackling a lot of times and there isn't a whole lot of room for thinking about a wrap-up tackle. Another poster used Ebner as an example to you before. The safety's primary job, once the ball has been secured, is to bring the receiver down by any means that he has necessary to him. A lot of times, that doesn't constitute making a perfect form, wrap-up tackle. A lot of times, trying to do so will cause the receiver to shed the tackle and have nothing but daylight in front of him. So the league is essentially going to punish this position because it has to make split second decisions for the good of the team. That's not to say anything about the disparity of the calls for guys lowering their helmets to tackle vs. a RB lowering his helmet before trying to truck a tackler or a blocker lowering his helmet out of a three point stance. The rule is a terrible one. That's par for the course in Goodell's administration.
I never said anything about making a perfect form, wrap-up tackle every time. I said that people who think this rule all of a sudden means that defenders won't be able to tackle need to turn on a game where it happens routinely.

I'm by no means a big fan of this rule, but defenders have no one to blame but themselves for it existing.

That deliberate hit on cooks in the super bowl was one of many hits I saw that I’d not like repeated.

I never said anything about making a perfect form, wrap-up tackle every time. I said that people who think this rule all of a sudden means that defenders won't be able to tackle need to turn on a game where it happens routinely.

Well, you compared it to Rugby. A lot of the tackles in Rugby would be considered perfect form tackles in American Football (head up, lead with the shoulder, etc.) which is why I thought you were advocating for wrap-up tackles.

I'm by no means a big fan of this rule, but defenders have no one to blame but themselves for it existing.

Fair enough on not being a fan of the rule. But the defenders don't just have themselves to blame. I'll be the first to admit that tackling at the NFL and college levels is abysmal. The end of the Saints/Vikings playoff game will show you that. But this is more about the CTE lawsuits (the results of which the NFL office lied about in the first place) than anything else.

Like I said, and this isn't necessarily aimed at you, I'll enjoy bringing this thread back up when the Pats get screwed on a ticky tack call because of this rule.

As the SVP of officiating just said, the issue is training of players. There will be training of all teams led by the league officials. The teams can then follow through. And just BTW, this training will extend to college and high schools, [and probably Pop Warner].
About half the concussions are caused by the kind of contact that is now punishable.

So what do you do if you're a defensive guy and the guy your about to tackle instinctively lowers their head? You're going to see alot of missed tackles and sloppy play in the NFL this year. Every game is going to be like the SB. No punts.

Yes, techniques that have crippled hundreds (thousands) of players will need to change.

LOL this is going to be horrific. I look forward to scanning this thread when the Pats inevitably get screwed by a ticky-tack call because of this rule change. Yeah, form tackling is great. Nobody will deny that. It's not always possible, however, for a defensive player to do his job when the guys in front of him are moving at 20+ MPH. The NFL may as well just eliminate defense altogether.

Yes, techniques that have crippled hundreds (thousands) of players will need to change.
This just in: football is violent.

This new rule is another example of why I don’t think the NFL will last very long. Eventually scores are going to be consistently in the high 40s and 50s. The sport is going to get boring to watch, kinda like arena league.

Yup, and football is profitable. The league will try to protect their future revenue by trying to reduce concussions for their players, and for those in college.

There is a choice for NFL. They can continue to try to reduce injuries or they can go the way of boxing ( a relatively minor sport). This is a HUGE issue in colleges. If not already, this will be a huge issue for high schools and Pop Warner.

Well, you compared it to Rugby. A lot of the tackles in Rugby would be considered perfect form tackles in American Football (head up, lead with the shoulder, etc.) which is why I thought you were advocating for wrap-up tackles.

Fair enough on not being a fan of the rule. But the defenders don't just have themselves to blame. I'll be the first to admit that tackling at the NFL and college levels is abysmal. The end of the Saints/Vikings playoff game will show you that. But this is more about the CTE lawsuits (the results of which the NFL office lied about in the first place) than anything else.

Like I said, and this isn't necessarily aimed at you, I'll enjoy bringing this thread back up when the Pats get screwed on a ticky tack call because of this rule.

Yep the first game probably. I’m surprised they didn’t alter pass interference calls as well. After the Pittsburgh game, I knew they’d alter the rules in reaction. All the media outrage over the refs actually calling it correct.

So what do you do if you're a defensive guy and the guy your about to tackle instinctively lowers their head? You're going to see alot of missed tackles and sloppy play in the NFL this year. Every game is going to be like the SB. No punts.

Wrap up the ball carrier and pull him down. This should then result in a penalty on the ball carrier.

Yup, and football is profitable. The league will try to protect their future revenue by trying to reduce concussions for their players, and for those in college.

There is a choice for NFL. They can continue to try to reduce injuries or they can go the way of boxing ( a relatively minor sport). This is a HUGE issue in colleges. If not already, this will be a huge issue for high schools and Pop Warner.

If they were more worried about revenue, they'd concentrate on brain dead rules changes like this one that are ultimately succeeding in chasing away their primary revenue base. But, alas, this is Roger Goodell's administration. Only this administration would believe they can legislate the violent and sub-concussive hits out of the game.

Last edited:
It's been clearly shown that a helmet doesn't protect the players to a degree that is acceptable in the modern world. The only way the nfl can continue to thrive is to improve the helmets or take contact with the head out of the game as much as possible. All sports are going the same way, certainly both codes of rugby anyway. Players will cope and let's be honest the standard of tackling needs to improve with or without this rule.

To be fair to the NFL, all 4 of the U.S. major sports are making major rules changes that make their games suck a lot more. The NFL is not the only league where stupidity is the order of the day.
Maybe that’s because if sports - especially football - don’t do something to address the issue of concussions, then they will completely cease to exist in their current forms in the not-too-distant future.

Ultimately, this is what will stop me from watching........not Goodell or kneeling or Jerry Jones

what it does to the human brain bothers me.....where it leaves players when they get older bothers me......

I am really glad I did not allow any of my kids to play football.......flag was it

Here's how I tackle.
Perfect.
Form.
Whatever you do, put your head down and don't look at your target.
DeadCompassionateEarwig-size_restricted.gif

I’m just hoping that when I watch the game, I won’t notice too big of a difference. That’s all I can hope for.

Quite a statement from Schefty.

I’m just hoping that when I watch the game, I won’t notice too big of a difference. That’s all I can hope for.

Pretty much every one of the controversial recent rules has made a big difference. Not one of those differences has resulted in an improvement in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back