PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing New Pats OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr

I was going to say I didn't like the way Strong has run during the short stint we've seen him. He runs too upright and was doing the Mike Gillislee two hands on the ball when into the first sight of traffic. Also runs slower than his timed speed.

Read that he was a cut candidate in Cleveland. If true and the Patriots traded for him anyway then Strong had to be a cut candidate too. Otherwise why trade for him.

Read that he was a cut candidate in Cleveland. If true and the Patriots traded for him anyway then Strong had to be a cut candidate too. Otherwise why trade for him.
Reading that someone thought he was a “cut candidate” is not the same as being cut.
If he were cut he would be subject to waivers. Trading for him means 100% you get him.

Reports also say Wheatley was a cut candidate so unless Strong wasn’t long for this team either (possible) it’s odd they’d swing a trade for a guy they could have had for free in a couple of days.
Patriots are 15th in the waiver claim order. They must have thought someone before them would claim him. Or, they were going to cut Strong anyway.

This tells me that they liked what they saw from JJ Taylor and had him and Strong relatively equal, so one wasn’t gonna make the roster. JJ made big strides this camp.

I liked Strong’s upside so sad to see him go, but Wheatley is a good prospect at a position they’re extremely thin at.

Dang, Andrew Callahan nailed it yesterday. Wheatley is 26 with no regular season experience, but he’s also a super late bloomer. In 2017, he was a little 265 pound TE at Michigan while Onwenu (already 350 pounds) and Stueber (319) were on the OL.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back