New England Patriots Training Camp Primer: Defensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
New England Patriots Training Camp Primer: Defensive Line

Steve Balestrieri

Flowers, like many others in the Pats defense, is versatile and can rush from the edge or push inside as an interior pass rusher.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

To me this position isn't about who makes the roster or doesn't. I will be shocked if one of Brown, Valentine, Branch, Guy, Nink, Flowers, Wise, Rivers and Ealy don't make the roster. Only cut that is possible is Nink if he falls off a cliff super hard but i doubt he falls off enough for it to be considered.

The questions are in my mind are...

A) Is there a surprise that emerges that forces you to carry 1 more guy. The only guy right now with a shot is Adam Butler. Augusta is just too out of shape, Grissom is a guy who we have likely seen what he has though PS is a possibility. After 2 years you have a good idea on a guy. Hamiliton/Kilgo are more established players and we have seen what they can do and it is JAG level. So really I think only Butler can force something. I don't like it much. I wish they signed more young UDFAs and cut some more JAG vets to try to get more upside in these camp battles.

B) What do Rivers and Wise bring their rookie years? If the Pats get no contributions from either rookie they are in trouble at the DE spot. Ealy/Flowers will be okay but Nink is more experience to not make a mistake and hold it down than to make something happen at this point. They need some more plays from elsewhere and it needs to come from one of these 2. Is a big under the radar story as very few things stop these this. One is the pass rush being ineffective and QBs getting to long to throw.

I like Ninkovich but I think he's on the bubble.

I think that Larry the Guy is more of a roster lock than Ninkovich is.

And I really wish that Jabal Sheard had been re-signed.

Great stuff Steve. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference