PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New CTE Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
that story actually sounds whacko

"We actually did not pursue this one because we had concerns about the idea of pressing on the [jugular] vein, especially in an uncontrolled way," he said. "I would just be too nervous something bad is going to happen."
Did you read the entire thing? Most articles contain a contrary opinion for "balance," to be thorough. That does not mean this scientifically based device is "whacko," just experimental. Anecdotal reports from its use are promising. Kuechly wore it this season with no further concussions.

Mosslost: just because something is new or different doesn't make it "whacko." You need to have a more open mind.

If they're anything like dad, they'll get away with it. That's still better than playing soccer. I suppose that if I had a girl I might let her play soccer. That's more of a fit.
My girls play soccer and they play for blood. Quite fun to watch them play rough

Years ago I went to a Streets and Smith banquet honoring boxing legends of yesteryear....and it was one of the saddest evenings of my life seeing the condition of these punch drunk poor bastards. The consequences/aftermath of such extreme head trauma was never more apparent.

This is exactly why the concussion protocol always seemed like hollow PR to me. The evidence for a while now has suggested that concussions aren't actually what drives CTE, but rather it's repetitive, subconcussive blows. There's just no way to remove that from football, it's a fundamental part of the game and you can't remove it from the game without being left with something that's definitely not football.

Linking CTE to concussions was all spin on the NFL's part, because concussions are something they can at least pretend to manage. It's an existential threat under those criteria, but the truth is even worse than that. And FWIW, the same is true for hockey, and even soccer to a lesser extent, although in the latter case I think it's something that could at least be managed.

Really wonder what football is going to look like in 10-20 years

Does the leather helmet idea help with this? Presumably leather helmets would still lead to people playing in a way that prevents a lot of these 'heads slamming into each other' type of plays.

No question the sport is going to morph into something very different than what we're experiencing now.

I thought we already knew this?

Does the leather helmet idea help with this? Presumably leather helmets would still lead to people playing in a way that prevents a lot of these 'heads slamming into each other' type of plays.

No question the sport is going to morph into something very different than what we're experiencing now.
with leather helmets you get the on field deaths.. not sure that will fly. One NFL season saw 19 NFL deaths...

VR or robots in 50 yrs.
not a crazy idea that this would happen, it just feels wrong now in our time. Future "contests" may really be "gamers", "VR", or even ..gulp.. AI robots etc.. that is nuts to even type tho

No this is new
That you don't have to have concussions to suffer CTE? I could've sworn there was something out a year or two ago that said the sum of minor impacts can lead to it. Like when an OL engages a block with a DL, which means the DL comes to a nearly full stop which cause his brain to hit his skull because, duh, momentum. Am I missing something or should I read the article? Because to be completely honest I assume the title tells us all we need to know

That you don't have to have concussions to suffer CTE? I could've sworn there was something out a year or two ago that said the sum of minor impacts can lead to it. Like when an OL engages a block with a DL, which means the DL comes to a nearly full stop which cause his brain to hit his skull because, duh, momentum. Am I missing something or should I read the article? Because to be completely honest I assume the title tells us all we need to know
I just meant that this study is new.. and apparently important. I am actually not sure about the other thing.

not a crazy idea that this would happen, it just feels wrong now in our time. Future "contests" may really be "gamers", "VR", or even ..gulp.. AI robots etc.. that is nuts to even type tho
I am pretty confident because the push towards humanoid robots is so strong right now and sports are the ultimate proving ground for their performance. Also VR is going to radically change almost everything we do eventually. Might even happen much sooner than what I said.

Yes, this was known before. The term used was "sub-concussive" hits/collisions.

I just meant that this study is new.. and apparently important. I am actually not sure about the other thing.
Ok I get what you're saying. I just feel like this is telling us something we already knew

No, it is not new.
I meant that it is a new study based on 4 teenage football player deaths. That the study is new. I don't know anything about the other question. I thought he thought the article was old or something.

Ok I get what you're saying. I just feel like this is telling us something we already knew
I think the "new" is just this terrible news of these 4 deceased teens who all played football and all have apparently significant CTE after autopsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes