PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2, Super Bowl, Coaches and Cap Space

Great mock Mark. Love the picks.

I love McDuffie and think he is a little underrated rn. Thinks he's CB2 or 3 overall. So good in all areas tbh. I think his foot speed/quicks are some of the best in the class. He's twitchy has some juice to his steps. That, his route recognition & competitive nature are his strongest assets. No fear in run support can trust him in the open field. Played at Washington so he's versed in cloud coverage, everything zone, C3. Just extremely well rounded in what's he's done & capable of. All those guys are taught great technique from their angles, playing through the ball, run support. You'd like him to be bigger but so what. 5'11/190 is perfectly fine. I feel like him, Booth, Elam, Cam Taylor Britt, McCreary & a few others are just made for here but McDuffie stands out. Even amongst Sauce & Stingley he holds his own. This is a great CB class though.

I go back & forth on Wyatt tbh. Not as a prospect just as a fit here. Ultimately I love pass rush & want more of that up front. So I'm more than fine with the pick & we're getting really good value as Wyatt will be a top 3 IDL on most boards imo.

Wyatt can 2 gap he's just not able to get rooted like a Mathis for example. He can root himself in the ground & has pretty good movements all around. Wyatt likes to move and redirect off blocks. Fight through them, split them and locate. Both have good eyes that stay in the backfield while they might show colors to one side before sliding to the other. Wyatt offers more in the pass rush department but Mathis is prototype in the way he handles the run game plus his build (6'4/315-320)

If we land any one of Davis, Leal (pronounced Lee - Al), Wyatt, Mathis or Travis Jones it's a W for us. 3-4i-5 Tech's or two true NT. We need one or both.

And that's exactly what Mark does here! I love the idea of remaking a unit with promising cheap players.

(OLB Chandler Jones ?)
5T Wyatt/Leal/Mathis
0 Jones/Davis
5T Barmore
OLB Judon

Not sure how likely the above is but I'm for it! Judon & Jones are two of the crafty rushers in the games. Wyatt & Barmore are two really good all around tackles & a true nose in Jones or Davis hope be a great top off.

Love the rest of the picks too. Anderson & MM are two really nice ones. MM is one of the best natural coverage backers in the draft & Anderson is a super nice project for Bill. McFadden is really good at covering the MOF/Seams. I like these two picks a lot.

Got Mac a possible best friend in Skyy.

Paschal is a PTP. Woods is a nice add where you got him.

This is a A type draft imo.

Wish I could have a draft like that. It appears that Andersen and Moore are going top 50. Wyatt won't be available with our 2nd round pick. Perhaps Jones might. I don't see any reason that McDuffie should be available for us at 21. I guess that's why we call it a mock. The Combine will confirm speed numbers that will also change the draft rankings.

That is an awful list of LB’s. Wow!
Roberts was a 6th round pick.
Rivers was a 3rd round pick.
Bentley was a 5th round pick.
Sam was a 6th round pick.
Wino was a 3rd round pick.
Uche was a 2nd round pick.
Jennings was a 3rd round pick
Perkins was a 3rd round pick.

That's not nearly the draft capital you think it is, particularly since those 3rds rounders were EARLY in the round.

I have no idea of what Uche, Jennings, or Perkins are going to become, if anything. I have no idea of what happened with Wino after a promising start in his first year. Bentley has over-produced his draft position by a lot. Rivers just couldn't stay on the field - had a ton of talent, but...

Bigger problem than the draft with some of these guys is how little they've (Wino, Uche, Perkins, Jennings) grown! Is that a draft or development problem?

I find the situation with Uche and Wino particularly frustrating, personally.

I also think Uche, McGrone, McMillan, and maybe Perkins will be important next year.

Roberts was a 6th round pick.
Rivers was a 3rd round pick.
Bentley was a 5th round pick.
Sam was a 6th round pick.
Wino was a 3rd round pick.
Uche was a 2nd round pick.
Jennings was a 3rd round pick
Perkins was a 3rd round pick.

That's not nearly the draft capital you think it is, particularly since those 3rds rounders were EARLY in the round.

I have no idea of what Uche, Jennings, or Perkins are going to become, if anything. I have no idea of what happened with Wino after a promising start in his first year. Bentley has over-produced his draft position by a lot. Rivers just couldn't stay on the field - had a ton of talent, but...

Bigger problem than the draft with some of these guys is how little they've (Wino, Uche, Perkins, Jennings) grown! Is that a draft or development problem?

I find the situation with Uche and Wino particularly frustrating, personally.

I also think Uche, McGrone, McMillan, and maybe Perkins will be important next year.
I didn't clarify in my original post, but I meant to say it's a very a bad group of LB's.

I didn't clarify in my original post, but I meant to say it's a very a bad group of LB's.
So you've given up on Uche? And you know about Perkins?

And about McGrone and McMillan?

So you've given up on Uche? And you know about Perkins?

Yes, Uche sucks. He and Winovich are one trick pony pass rushers with no counter moves who are atrocious against the run. He had teams focusing their attention on other players and yet he still couldn't do anything. Regarding the other guys, given the history of this team stashing LB's means it's not a good sign for them. Relying on them is idiotic. Bill needs to draft a east west LB within rounds 1-3.

Minus the first pick I really like the draft. The 2 dts are formidable but would prefer Jordan Davis in the first. The LB is just what the Pats need. Speed and coverage skills that translated at the senior bowl. Doubt Moore is there in the 4th. He’s everybody’s sleeper. The rest are just darts but have potential which is all you can ask.

Minus the first pick I really like the draft. The 2 dts are formidable but would prefer Jordan Davis in the first. The LB is just what the Pats need. Speed and coverage skills that translated at the senior bowl. Doubt Moore is there in the 4th. He’s everybody’s sleeper. The rest are just darts but have potential which is all you can ask.
I agree the players I picked will get selected higher. It is a snapshot in time based on the rankings the software used. I didnt take Davis because I think he is just a 2 down player.

So you've given up on Uche?
I have, at least on this defense.

And you know about Perkins?
WAAAY to small for an end-of-the-line role here.

McGroan is yet another Michigan defender (Wino, Uche) mal-coached for the pros by Dan Brown... Dam shame about McMillan however; he could've helped last year, so I hope that he hasn't lost All of his mobility by now.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back