PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Post Free Agency Patriots Mock Draft #4

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
MORSE: Post Free Agency Patriots Mock Draft #4
Mark Morse
Now that the dust has settled on Free Agency and most of the top name players are signed, we are left with an underwhelming roster of players for the New England Patriots.

The post MORSE: Post Free Agency Patriots Mock Draft #4 appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Not sure why you thought that mock would piss everyone off? That would be a great draft for the Patriots. Daniels, McConkey, and Almidjae would be a great first two days. Don’t know anything about Puni so I have no opinion on that pick.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the trade that Arizona made to move up one spot, and it doesn't make any sense to me from the Cardinals perspective.

The mock apparently does not have Arizona picking a QB at #3, based on the article stating that the Patriots are able to pick Jayden Daniels at #4. If the Cardinals wanted a non-QB, why would they trade up? They could just stay where they are, and pick MJH, Alt, or whoever they were targeting - without having to give up anything at all. Unless he thinks Washington picked a non-QB?

I'm looking at the trade that Arizona made to move up one spot, and it doesn't make any sense to me from the Cardinals perspective.

The mock apparently does not have Arizona picking a QB at #3, based on the article stating that the Patriots are able to pick Jayden Daniels at #4. If the Cardinals wanted a non-QB, why would they trade up? They could just stay where they are, and pick MJH, Alt, or whoever they were targeting - without having to give up anything at all. Unless he thinks Washington picked a non-QB?

I think the Cards aren't moving either, but I liked the picks he made: I really like McConkey, my only concern would be how many slot receivers we would have. I would love Adonai Mitchell at 34, but I think he will go before that pick.

IMHO, I wouldn't be pleased if the draft for the Patriots unfolded that way. I don't want Daniels, and McConkey (who may very well be a solid if not better player) is something that this team has, WR's that can play in the slot. We need a legit #1 WR (or at least one that has the ability to be so and more than a slot guy). As for the rest of the picks, I don't see anything even remotely special (although maybe one player might surprise). Overall, it would be a very disappointing draft.

Last edited:
I think the Cards are moving either, but I liked the picks he made: I really like McConkey, my only concern would be how many slot receivers we would have. I would love Adonai Mitchell at 34, but I think he will go before that pick.
I really do like how his mock doubled down on both OT and WR.

However - I would much prefer drafting an OT before we draft a WR. And as you pointed out, we are more in need of a guy out wide, not a slot WR. Yes, BAP - but this roster is in dire need of a tackle. The Pats can't afford to wait until the third round to draft an OT. In my opinion go QB, OT, and then WR with the first three picks.

Again, I love doubling down on OT and WR. But the Pats also have a (lower priority) need at safety. I would prefer Sione Vaki from Utah in the 5th. In addition I don't see the need to draft two tight ends. Granted those are late round draft picks, but if you're just taking a flyer, why do so on the same position? At best if they both shine they would be TE3 and TE4. There are a lot of other positions in need of attention. One drafted TE is enough after signing Henry and Hooper.

However - I would much prefer drafting an OT before we draft a WR. And as you pointed out, we are more in need of a guy out wide, not a slot WR. Yes, BAP - but this roster is in dire need of a tackle. The Pats can't afford to wait until the third round to draft an OT. In my opinion go QB, OT, and then WR with the first three picks.

Again, I love doubling down on OT and WR. But the Pats also have a (lower priority) need at safety. I would prefer Sione Vaki from Utah in the 5th. In addition I don't see the need to draft two tight ends. Granted those are late round draft picks, but if you're just taking a flyer, why do so on the same position? At best if they both shine they would be TE3 and TE4. There are a lot of other positions in need of attention. One drafted TE is enough after signing Henry and Hooper.
The talent drop-off at OT after #34 overall might be substantial. Whereas a much better WR prospect could be had in the 3rd round with this draft having so much talent at the WR position.

AZ would miss on Harrison if the Chargers trade with us, which is very possible.

AZ would miss on Harrison if the Chargers trade with us, which is very possible.
Very true.

But this article writes about a mock draft hypothesis where the Patriots and the Cardinals trade spots - not the Chargers.

Is LAC really going to trade up to the Pats for a #3, to draft Harrison over the next best available player? Maybe they do rate MJH that highly. If I was in their shoes, I'd rather keep their 3rd, 5th, and 7th (from the mock) draft pick, considering their needs. If nothing else use some picks to move back up. For a team that just went 5-12 and lost some very good players due to their cap situation, they need to retain/gather more draft picks - not trade them. It's not like they are one player away from winning it all.

Very true.

But this article writes about a mock draft hypothesis where the Patriots and the Cardinals trade spots - not the Chargers.

Is LAC really going to trade up to the Pats for a #3, to draft Harrison over the next best available player? Maybe they do rate MJH that highly. If I was in their shoes, I'd rather keep their 3rd, 5th, and 7th (from the mock) draft pick, considering their needs. If nothing else use some picks to move back up. For a team that just went 5-12 and lost some very good players due to their cap situation, they need to retain/gather more draft picks - not trade them. It's not like they are one player away from winning it all.
Yes the mocks never do a balanced trade. But the point that we could do a deal with the Chargers is not far fetched if they like Harrison.

This would be amazing but you’re dreaming…getting a 3rd and 5th to move back 1 come on so unrealistic

In terms of positional need I agree that OT is the bigger priority, the problem is that if the first round goes the way most are predicting then 8-9 OT’s could already be off the board when they pick at 34, and while I would be ok with them trading up into the first for guys like Mims or Guyton, if they are all gone at #34, and a WR like Adonai Mitchell is still available I would go for a guy who could immediately become a # 1 WR for them, and wait for the third round for a tackle like Amedjje.

I still see this as a two year rebuild of their offense. If they can get their QB and a #1WR with their first two picks then they can use their first round pick next year for a franchise LT, especially since it will most likely be a top 15 pick. I would still double dip at both positions to keep building depth and bringing in young talent, but I don’t think they have to fill all 3 positions with long term solutions; 2 out of 3 would be great though.

If Mims or Guyton slips to them at 34 I would take them, but if they are gone and Mitchell is still there I would take him.

I was honest about what was presented to me. A trade offer from Arizona was proposed to me while both Daniels and Maye were available. That's what the software did. I don't believe OT Kingsley Suamataia was available at #34. McConkey can play out wide and has the speed and ability to shake the press CB at the line of scrimmage and the speed to get deep. IMO McConkey at 34 was better than taking an OT at 34 based upon the depth at both positions.

The talent drop-off at OT after #34 overall might be substantial. Whereas a much better WR prospect could be had in the 3rd round with this draft having so much talent at the WR position.

It just depends upon how the draft unfolds. I would love Guyton or Mims at #34, but after 8 or so OT’s you hit the second tier, whereas you could get a true #1 WR there. Or it could go the other way, and the run on OT’s end at 6-7 off the board, but WR is more depleted than expected, in which case you could still have a first tier OT available. If both are gone I think trading down to the mid second round, and then trading up from 68, giving them 3 mid second round picks could be their move.

It just depends upon how the draft unfolds. I would love Guyton or Mims at #34, but after 8 or so OT’s you hit the second tier, whereas you could get a true #1 WR there. Or it could go the other way, and the run on OT’s end at 6-7 off the board, but WR is more depleted than expected, in which case you could still have a first tier OT available. If both are gone I think trading down to the mid second round, and then trading up from 68, giving them 3 mid second round picks could be their move.
Agreed. It'll depend (as it always does) on how the draft unfolds, especially in the 1st round. If we come out of this draft with #1 A Legit Franchise QB #2 A solid LT prospect #3 A solid #1 quality (or close enough) WR prospect, then this draft will have been a success. Anything else would be a cherry on top.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back