PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Mock Draft with BGC “Patriots Type” Players

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I like all of them, don't know much about the guard/

I'm not really a draft guru at all...that being said I'm not a fan of this mock...

1st Round Pick #21 – Jordan Davis DT Georgia – Davis should not be available to the Patriots at pick #21. He is probably the only player I would change my priority for, he is that good. Let’s talk about a 6’3” 241 lb pure Nose Tackle.This is the only pick I like a lot(he's not 241 lb and should be NT not DT btw)

2nd Round Pick #54 – Chad Muma LB Wyoming – Tough choice here between Muma, Quay Walker, and Troy Andersen. Perhaps I should have traded back. Deffo not interested in drafting an LB early....we have a crap load of young fast LB's already on the roster that need to play. This pick should be WR or CB.

3rd Round Pick #85 – Sean Rhyan OG UCLA – This is a good spot to take a player that can play at OG. Rhyan is 6’4.5”, 321 lbs. runs a 5.25 40 and has 32” arms. His short arm length will prevent him from playing Tackle. I'd rather a draft a WR or CB here.

4th Round Pick #127 – Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee
– Taylor has outstanding straight-line speed as he ran 4.39 40 at the combine. CB should be drafter earlier

5th round Pick #158 – Jack Sanborn ILB Wisconsin – He was the leading tackler for Wisconsin in 2019 and 2020, that is until Leo Chenal came by. We don't need an LB here. We have a lot of young LB's already. Should be a G/C.

Round 5 Pick #170 – Bo Melton WR Rutgers – The pipeline to Rutgers continues with the selection of Melton. At 5’11” 189 lbs, ran 4.34 40 and a 6.81 3-cone drill. I don't hate it...we need a WR. Good 3 cone.

Round 6 Pick # 200 – Marquan McCall NT Kentucky – A true, battle-tested SEC Nose Tackle. At 6’2.5” 354 lbs, he is an immovable object. We don't need 2 NT's drafted.

Round 6 Pick # 210 – EJ Perry QB Brown – Perry is the only player selected that was not on the BGC Patriots Type Players spreadsheet. However, Perry was one of the 30 “official” visits allowed to each team. I like this pick if the idea is he switches to WR.

Last edited:
I'm not really a draft guru at all...that being said I'm not a fan of this mock...

1st Round Pick #21 – Jordan Davis DT Georgia – Davis should not be available to the Patriots at pick #21. He is probably the only player I would change my priority for, he is that good. Let’s talk about a 6’3” 241 lb pure Nose Tackle.This is the only pick I like a lot(he's not 241 lb and should be NT not DT btw)

2nd Round Pick #54 – Chad Muma LB Wyoming – Tough choice here between Muma, Quay Walker, and Troy Andersen. Perhaps I should have traded back. Deffo not interested in drafting an LB early....we have a crap load of young fast LB's already on the roster that need to play. This pick should be WR or CB.

3rd Round Pick #85 – Sean Rhyan OG UCLA – This is a good spot to take a player that can play at OG. Rhyan is 6’4.5”, 321 lbs. runs a 5.25 40 and has 32” arms. His short arm length will prevent him from playing Tackle. I'd rather a draft a WR or CB here.

– Taylor has outstanding straight-line speed as he ran 4.39 40 at the combine. CB should be drafter earlier

5th round Pick #158 – Jack Sanborn ILB Wisconsin – He was the leading tackler for Wisconsin in 2019 and 2020, that is until Leo Chenal came by. We don't need an LB here. We have a lot of young LB's already. Should be a G/C.

Round 5 Pick #170 – Bo Melton WR Rutgers – The pipeline to Rutgers continues with the selection of Melton. At 5’11” 189 lbs, ran 4.34 40 and a 6.81 3-cone drill. I don't hate it...we need a WR. Good 3 cone.

Round 6 Pick # 200 – Marquan McCall NT Kentucky – A true, battle-tested SEC Nose Tackle. At 6’2.5” 354 lbs, he is an immovable object. We don't need 2 NT's drafted.

Round 6 Pick # 210 – EJ Perry QB Brown – Perry is the only player selected that was not on the BGC Patriots Type Players spreadsheet. However, Perry was one of the 30 “official” visits allowed to each team. I like this pick if the idea is he switches to WR.
It's a mock according to the evaluations of BCG.

Most of the sure pick CBs will be gone by 54, and at that point, you're just gambling on CBs. McCreary, Elam, Booth, McDuffie, Stingley, Gardner, Gordon, all will be gone by 54. The next guy up is Marcus Jones who is rated 3rd or 4th round.

Unless McDuffie drops to 21 or we trade back, I doubt we're coming away with a CB this draft.

It's a mock according to the evaluations of BCG.

Most of the sure pick CBs will be gone by 54, and at that point, you're just gambling on CBs. McCreary, Elam, Booth, McDuffie, Stingley, Gardner, Gordon, all will be gone by 54. The next guy up is Marcus Jones who is rated 3rd or 4th round.

Unless McDuffie drops to 21 or we trade back, I doubt we're coming away with a CB this draft.
OK...

OK...

WR is a possibility here. But we do have a need at guard.

Say they take Marcus Jones at this spot. He's not going to play ahead of the CBs we have (Jones, Mills, Butler, etc.) but what do you do about the guard spot? We haven't signed any FAs there.

We may still sign some after post-draft cuts. There will be vets available.

But there are no guarantees post draft.

On the notes, Van Noy was released so already doesn’t count against the formula. I think the TE also was non tendered which exempts him, not that he’d sign a contract that qualifies.

We have a bunch of unproven young LBs that are either coming off injury or couldn't see time on the field because the coaches didn't trust them. We need two new starters. McMiIlan is coming off injury as is McGrone. Mack Wilson will help. Uche and Jennings can't get on the field No idea what you are getting from Perkins. Good catch on the 341 lb Davis, he sure ran like he was 241 lbs (4,78). I don't expect him to be there either, but if he is I don't take the 15 min allowed and run the pick up to the podium! My draft strategy would be CB 1st, but the LB values at 54 are too good to pass on. Thanks for your input.

We have a bunch of unproven young LBs that are either coming off injury or couldn't see time on the field because the coaches didn't trust them. We need two new starters. McMiIlan is coming off injury as is McGrone. Mack Wilson will help. Uche and Jennings can't get on the field No idea what you are getting from Perkins. Good catch on the 341 lb Davis, he sure ran like he was 241 lbs (4,78). I don't expect him to be there either, but if he is I don't take the 15 min allowed and run the pick up to the podium! My draft strategy would be CB 1st, but the LB values at 54 are too good to pass on. Thanks for your input.
Ok and thanks for responding :thumbsup:

Absolutely love the McCall pick. He will work really well in our defense, if he can anchor against the double team!

We were something like 25th against the run last season. Godchaux played high and on skates. The bar has been set pretty low for an incoming rookie.

If not allowed to trade, then:

I really like the picks at 21, 127 & 170.

I really, Really do Not like Any of the other picks, at all... for Obvious reasons.

I like it. I'd be quite happy with this draft.

I hope BGC is getting paid. Like a PatsFans keychain, a subscription to the McCorkle10 Method, or coupons to L'Espalier or something.

That being said, I didn't know what Grundle meant until about 5 minutes ago.

I get not wanting two NT but MM is strictly a NT while you could play Davis at the 3T on occasion. He played a fair amount at UG and we ask different things of ours than other teams do theirs. Davis at 21 is good value imo. It's 2022 he might be on a snap count but you can deploy him any way you see fit in that regard. Bottom line, guys like Davis don't come along very often. The size, motor, heavy hands, incredible strength, speed ... he's the hulk. Not to mention a great dude, gentle giant off the field. If we're lucky enough to get Davis I'd be looking 5T/3T but these guys give us a wall in the A gap all game and are good value imo.

I know @Mark Morse loves Troy Anderson (he got a third from me but I'm bumping him up only for the PTP board) but I have to go Muma > Anderson in RD2. Muma's floor is much higher, he's ready to come in right away and make an instant impact day one. That's pretty good value after RD1. His ceiling might not be as high but he's got upside. The thing with Muma is how smart he is. Dean too, he graduated in 3 years with a mechanical engineering degree but Muma has tons of FBI. His awareness, spacial awareness and movements are top notch. Not just down & distance or where the marker is. He has it down to how many steps he needs, always taking proper angles. Understands route patterns and concepts and throwing lanes - where a QB has to throw to. Football, most sports are played in a 20 yard box and Muma has plus movements in that regard. He would be starting for us this year and remember Bill values here and now > future. Tell me what you can do for me right now. Even if it's a specific rope, he'll take you in the later rounds if you have a clear skill set and can help the team. Here's Muma's RAS - he's above average all around and his tape shows a smooth athlete in a short area. 20220422_010908.png
Another thing regarding coverage at the LB spots. Bill does a great job "hiding" our LB's it's rare you see them beat, beat for big plays if you really think about it. Both Bentley and HT were middle of the pack in terms of giving up yards (260 & 300) which obviously isn't bad. We ask our guys to to get to their marks, proper depth, fill passing lanes etc Muma has excellent range, awareness and instincts. Not to mention he's physical, tough and has a non-stop motor. So he should fit right in.

Rhyan had some great games against top tier competition (KT) and can play tackle in a pinch if we like him at G. He has top tier testing #'s at G and it plays to his strengths. His a very good athlete in a small space. Can move laterally, has good balance and strength to control his man hand to hand or stay with loopers moving east-west.

Alontae Taylor is a favorite of mine. He's a dog with lots of attitude and physicality. Big time tackler with no fear coming up to make a play. Could improve his tackling technique but he's got no problem coming up to make a play. He can play press, off/,bail, zone - versatile but technique needs work in a few areas. Smart player that is constantly chirping at his guys.. I wouldn't be surprised to see teams look at him as a Saf bc of how good he is when everything is in front of him but we'll see. 4.4 speed / 32" arms.

Ive been looking at Sanborn for us for two years now. Smart with plus instincts. He's always around the ball and not by accident. He knows where it's going most of the time and is one of the first players there. Physical but can sift through and around traffic

Know I get that some don't want two NT or LB but look at our DL / LB depth after this. Guy & God aren't playing out of position and we have a real rotation of run stoppers with Barmore. Same for LB room, lots of potential there with a bunch of added athleticism. Muma would be making big contributions day one.

I'll take Bo all day long and Perry is a nice late RD developmental prospect.

Good mock Mark. We improved in the trenches, upgraded the defense but got a bunch of guys that can contribute right away with the exception of Perry. Hard not to like this.

I hope BGC is getting paid. Like a PatsFans keychain, a subscription to the McCorkle10 Method, or coupons to L'Espalier or something.

That being said, I didn't know what Grundle meant until about 5 minutes ago.

Without knowing the answer, I just figured that Grundle is the sound your stomach makes between the bacon and the candy...like mine...

It’s hard to say what he should have drafted and where when we have no idea what was available to him. Those are all really great selections and most should be solid players for the team in 2-3 years. I get what you’re saying, but we gotta see who was available when he picked.

It’s hard to say what he should have drafted and where when we have no idea what was available to him. Those are all really great selections and most should be solid players for the team in 2-3 years. I get what you’re saying, but we gotta see who was available when he picked.
My main issue is drafting more LB's. We have a lot of young guys that have had very little playing time due to injury or who was in front of them. That's not the case any more. I'm not onboard with drafting another speedy LB just so we can let one go that excels somewhere else because we drafted more. An argument is that they are unproven. So that means who we draft is more proven then the player that's been on the team for a year or 2? It will be interesting how this draft shakes out.

These guys need to play to find out what we have. They are all 26 and younger (Bentley and Judon are starters)...

McGrone
Uche
McMillan
Perkins
Jennings
Hall
Tavai

Langi the only other older LB who may make the team. Prob ST. We have huge needs at DT, CB, OL and possibly WR. Draft there 1st.

Last edited:
My main issue is drafting more LB's. We have a lot of young guys that have had very little playing time due to injury or who was in front of them. That's not the case any more. I'm not onboard with drafting another speedy LB just so we can let one go that excels somewhere else because we drafted more. An argument is that they are unproven. So that means who we draft is more proven then the player that's been on the team for a year or 2? It will be interesting how this draft shakes out.
It’s going to be very interesting to see how the draft and our front 7 plays out this season, for sure. I didn’t see all of the responses you got until after I replied to your original comment, but we are stacked at the MLB position. The problem is you have McMillan, McGrone, and Wilson. 2 guys coming back from injuries and another guy that has flashed but failed to fully live up to his potential due to injuries. Perkins is the only guy on the edge I’m excited to see this year. Mostly out of curiosity. I’ve given up on Jennings and Uche. If they can turn it around, that would be amazing, but we can’t depend on them. Actually, we can’t depend on any of the guys we’ve got. Muma is listed in the 230’s, but that’s not going to be his playing weight, so he would give us something different from some of the smaller guys we’ve got this season. A guy that can cover and make plays in the passing game. Isn’t that something we’ve all begged for?

Davis is a mountain of untapped potential. If he lives up to it, holy ****. Watch out. McCall would give us something we don’t have anywhere on the team, and after some coaching up would hopefully be a difference make in short yardage/goal line packages.

I’m really getting the feeling that this draft is going to play out in a way none of us are really prepared for. So I’ll take this full circle and say yes, you’re right. It’s gonna be interesting. :D

*edit* Forgot all about Bentley…

It’s going to be very interesting to see how the draft and our front 7 plays out this season, for sure. I didn’t see all of the responses you got until after I replied to your original comment, but we are stacked at the MLB position. The problem is you have McMillan, McGrone, and Wilson. 2 guys coming back from injuries and another guy that has flashed but failed to fully live up to his potential due to injuries. Perkins is the only guy on the edge I’m excited to see this year. Mostly out of curiosity. I’ve given up on Jennings and Uche. If they can turn it around, that would be amazing, but we can’t depend on them. Actually, we can’t depend on any of the guys we’ve got. Muma is listed in the 230’s, but that’s not going to be his playing weight, so he would give us something different from some of the smaller guys we’ve got this season. A guy that can cover and make plays in the passing game. Isn’t that something we’ve all begged for?

Davis is a mountain of untapped potential. If he lives up to it, holy ****. Watch out. McCall would give us something we don’t have anywhere on the team, and after some coaching up would hopefully be a difference make in short yardage/goal line packages.

I’m really getting the feeling that this draft is going to play out in a way none of us are really prepared for. So I’ll take this full circle and say yes, you’re right. It’s gonna be interesting. :D

*edit* Forgot all about Bentley…
Yeah I'm an edit freak....sorry about that....all good. And probably BB will do the unexpected as usual and go with a RB or something in the 1st or 2nd. I can't wait to see what happens.

Yeah I'm an edit freak....sorry about that....all good. And probably BB will do the unexpected as usual and go with a RB or something in the 1st or 2nd. I can't wait to see what happens.
Sorry, I was saying I forgot all about Bentley. Maybe he comes in slimmed down, faster and puts it all together for us? That would be a pleasant surprise!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back