PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Alabama QB Mac Jones Says He and the Patriots “Had a Good Conversation”

He had insane WRs last year when he played. He had 2 this year, one who missed most of the year. Great OL, one extremely good RB who could also catch passes. No TE to speak of. After the Waddle injury, the depth of Bama’s skill players was more limited. Jones still crushed it. And the dual threat thing is overrated in the NFL, when Tom Brady is still going to SBs at age 43. Jones plays like an NFL QB. People are going to want to see him hit those 15-20 yard tight windows, but there are QBs headed for the first round that I think are less likely to do that than Jones.
I was relatively down on him until DSmith left with an injury in the second half of the championship game, and McCorkle still crushed it (after a few questionable plays). He does remind me of Bledsoe when he runs for some reason. Hopefully he blasts a 5.2 40 in his pro day if we really want him.

If we traded down from 15 for pick 19 and 82, at 19, we could take qb Jones or dt barmore.

the Alabama connection could be good for us.

I like this a lot but would Barmore last that long ?

I like this a lot but would Barmore last that long ?

barmore has a lot of helium at the moment,

his pass rushing in the college playoffs has elevated his draft status, he still has issues with the run game, but teams overdraft pass rushers.

It is hard not to like a guy like Jones who in '19 had a completion rate of 68.8% and a td int ratio of 14 to 3

In '2o he had a completion rate 77.4% and a td int ratio of 41 to 4

He comes from an excellent team, excellent system with a wealth of talent around him.. if drafted the Pats would have to upgrade their WR's & TE's...

I don't know a hell of a lot about the college game... but spending the past few years bluffing my way thru mock draft games etc, there are two truths to the nfl draft that seem to bear themselves out... don't take a RB from Penn State and don't draft an Alabama quarterback...

One question - Think he shot himself in the foot by opening up about his Patriots visit?

I don't know a hell of a lot about the college game... but spending the past few years bluffing my way thru mock draft games etc, there are two truths to the nfl draft that seem to bear themselves out... don't take a RB from Penn State and don't draft an Alabama quarterback...

One question - Think he shot himself in the foot by opening up about his Patriots visit?
No. Why would he?

It's more like don't draft a quarterback from Ohio State, which has never produced an NFL quality quarterback. At least Alabama can point to Bart Starr, Joe Namath, and Ken Stabler, though, admittedly, they all played in the Jurassic era.

Apart from the OL/Skill position players, I like the fact that Mac is clearly able to process info quickly, has a nice arm, steps into his throws (see vs Ole Miss), played vs the best competition, goes through his progressions, has pretty clean mechanics & is mobile enough..

This is where i'm at. I'd happily take Mac Jones, but it makes TOO much sense now..

So true! Too obvious. That means that the Patriots will take a safety with their first pick....

I actually expect the Patriots to trade down in the first and try to pick up Mac Jones, or someone similar, later in the first or early second.

I love what I saw, but I am just a schlub watching 3 minutes of highlights, but this schlub did see a lot of thing he did not like about Harry, such as that small detail that he could not get open. And this schlub does not like what he saw with Trevor Lawrence, but I may be proved wrong on that.

Last edited:
the anti-social media stance taken by some on the coaching staff?
If that’s the case, they may as well retire. They have no shot of connecting with Gen Z. They’re all over social media... for better or worse.

Actually, there will be a bunch of pros blocking for him, running for him and catching his balls. The issue will be there will be pros on the other side now.
Some of the teams he played basically -were- that.

the anti-social media stance taken by some on the coaching staff?
You say that like it's a bad thing. Talking to the media is like talking to the police. It can't possibly help you but it can definitely hurt you. Een if you are 100% innocent. Never talk to either.

Read a few mock drafts that had him going to New England... So that pretty much rules him out... Least as a first round take... Maybe if the Pats trade back, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd they might take him

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back