PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE trades for WR/KR Patterson !

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has great hands.

2 years of 74% catch rate is outstanding...
Yes, I imagine it is easier to catch a pass when the receiver is only 5/6 yards away from the QB all of the time.

Explode with excitement, when Brady's on his ass again unless Bill drafts a top LT.
It doesn't look to me as though there are any ready made top LT in this draft.

Patterson has 52 and 31 catches, respectively, in his last 2 seasons. That's a lot of gadgets.
That's 74 compared to 72 for Hogan.

We'd have the following active: Edelman, Cooks, Hogan, and Patterson (with Mitchell or whoever inactive)

That's 74 compared to 72 for Hogan.

We'd have the following active: Edelman, Cooks, Hogan, and Patterson (with Mitchell or whoever inactive)

I don't think it's really a Patterson/Hogan comparison and, at this point in time, I would expect Patterson to take up an ST slot, not a WR slot.

It doesn't look to me as though there are any ready made top LT in this draft.
Not many people, myself included, thought that Matt Light was a ready-made LT either, but unless Bill trades for one, what other choice do we have but to draft a LT, perhaps as early as 43, and pray that it all works out?

I think McDaniels wont be able to help himself he will find ways to get him the ball.
You can't see a beast with the ball in his hands and go why can't we get the ball in his hands.
I bet he has a career year with us.

Last year, we had Cooks, Hogan and Dorsett. Amendola was used as the additional WR threat.

Is this for real? Amendola was actually #2 WR of the season on the field. He was by far #1 receiver in playoffs (incl. Gronk).

Patriots had 4 active WRs + ST/WR (except during short term injuries).
Mitchell - if healthy (and not beat by other WRs like Dorsett) - will not be inactive.

Last edited:
Some comments on the comments:

1. Lombardi's statement that Patterson's primary job is going to be on ST's is probably closer to reality than most of the speculation that will follow this move.

2. That being said, I think he can be an interesting situational WR as well. Assuming he IS a dumb as a box of rocks and a terrible route runner, the Pats can still find uses for him. He still has an elite combination of size and speed so his presence needs to be accounted for.

He also has decent hands. IIRC, I saw someone use this stat somewhere, that only DA had a better catch ratio last season something like 75%. One of the stat guys can check that out, but it indicates he can catch the ball.

So if all that is true the smart thing to do with him is NOT make him run complex option routes or learn multiple WR positions. So instead of trying to make him do what he has proven he can't do over the last 6 years, simplify the offense for him. Teach him to run crisp 9's, posts, comebacks, back shoulders and fades, and forget about making him be something he isn't. Isn't putting people in a position to succeed what this team does best.

Let this kid feel free to use his vast physical skills and limit the amount of mental work that usually accompanies this very complex offense. Remember at best he'll only be a situational WR with this team. JMHO

3. The only negative I see in this trade is his $3.5MM cap hit. That is high for a guy who isn't doing a lot more than returning KO's. If he is ultimately replacing Slater, then I'd like to know what kind of a gunner he is. Anyone know?

4. Just another thought to think about. Given the fact we only dropped about 5-1o spots at the end of the draft to trade for him, if he doesn't show he can to more than KO returns, I'm sure Bill won't lose a second's sleep cutting him before the season starts.

I think in the end, barring injuries, he'll be battling Britt and Dorsett for the last WR position on the team. Remember you can't hit homers if you don't take swings, even though you know you don't hit homers everytime out, and sometimes you will swing and miss.

Last edited:
Having this guy as our kick off returner is huge. Any additional field position we get just makes our offense that much more deadly.

Plus I guantantee bb is going to find ways to get th ball in his hands in space. He is that dynamic a player.

Great move by us.

He has a lot of position flexibility. He can run out of the backfield on sweeps and such. Averages 10 yards per carry on those kinds of plays. We will find a way to use him. He isn't like any other player on our team or really anyone we've had recently. It's hard to say whose position he will take because we value ST so heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST