PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My take on the draft and the Patriots search for a QB

Cam2HarryGOAT

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
You can view the draft order here, Pats pick #15:

Needless to say, yesterday's win was a real gut punch and eliminated any reasonable chance of the Pats drafting a stud QB. Here is my opinion on teams in front of us that are likely to draft a QB:

JAX
NYJ
CAR
DEN

DET
DAL

MIN

So that is likely 4-7 QBs taken off the the board before we draft. Rather than reach in round one for a QB I think Bill will target a different position where there is more value and maybe sift through the debris to see what is left for QBs in round two or three hoping to find a gem. I also think there is a better than not chance that we Cam back here next year to compete for the starting job.

I guess the counter would be there is a guy Bill loves still available at seven. The Lions stick with Stafford and the Panthers and Broncos have not picked yet. Maybe swing a trade to move up? But how? We can't really afford to give away a boatload of draft picks and I don't think that would work anyway. The Lions aren't moving down eight spots in the draft (out of the top ten) for a 31 year old Gilmore. They aren't exactly in win now mode. I can't think of a young player we have that would make it worth their while. Or maybe wait and hope Carolina and Denver (and one of those top four teams) screw up and you get the third or fourth best QB of the class. God knows Elway likes to draft bad QBs in round one.

Sorry, I don't see any path other than sheer luck, to us getting a good QB in this draft. I think we roll it back with Cam and continue to build the offense through the draft and free agency over the next three years. Then, maybe once you've done that, if you still don't have a QB, you go after one of these high priced veteran free. agent options, the Matthew Stafford type. Not a great QB, but good enough to win with the right team around him. Whomever is available at that point.

What are your thoughts? Am I right, wrong, completely off base?

Why does the next QB need to come from the draft? If Detroit drafts a QB Stafford becomes available. If Atlanta does, Ryan goes to SF and Garoppolo is available and so on and so on.
Did Green Bay shed Rodgers?

Some of those teams are going to be reaching by drafting those QBs in the top 10. There are only two maybe three that belong up there. The rest should be late first or even second rounders.

Why does the next QB need to come from the draft? If Detroit drafts a QB Stafford becomes available. If Atlanta does, Ryan goes to SF and Garoppolo is available and so on and so on.
It's an option. But personally, I hate the idea of overpaying a mediocre verteran so we can win maybe10 games a year and weaken our draft position each year while tying to rebuild. Besides, why would those guys want to come here with no weapons available unless we are paying them top dollar? I would much rather bring back Cam or sign a decent veteran for cheap money like the Raiders did with Mariotta. Maybe Bridgewater.
I would much rather rebuild the offense and then worry about upgrading at QB then vice versa. As far as the draft is concerned, it's the only way to bring in a good, young QB that is under your control for multiple years at short money. And I feel like the free agent QB discussion
has been done to death here. I just wanted to bring up the draft situation now that we know for certain what the order is.

Cam is terrible. His shoulder is shot, doesn't belong on an NFL roster.

Reaching for a QB in the first round is a 50/50 proposition at best. Missing with that pick sets your team back 5 years. Bill is 68 years old, he doesn't have 5 years to waste.
The "weapons" excuse is overrated by Cam apologists. Receivers were open consistently, the analysis proves it. This offense could be changed with three major signings. A veteran QB, a true #1 veteran WR, and a proven #1TE. A little tweaking of the OLine, and they would be back on track.

WFT, Indy, CHI could also leap frog us to draft a QB.

I think only jags, jets and Carolina might draft a qb ahead of us. Denver would need to draft von Miller replacement and give another year for Drew lock.

As for Atlanta, lions, SF why to rock the boat when you have decent options . The qb that are available to them are no way guaranteed to be better than the incumbents. Too much risk. Only ones who could draft could be SF who can trade garopollo for our first and their third and then package the two firsts to go and grab wilson before Carolina.

My guess is we could have Kyle trask available at 15 or we could get both Kyle Pitts and Mac jones in first two rounds. Not sure if it is the best use of draft capital.

Sign hunter Henry and draft the best two defensive weapons in first two rounds . If mac jones is available in third round , highly unlikely then take him.

Good thing this got it's own thread....especially from a guy named "Cam2HarryGOAT".
Probably Stevenson. If he starts talking up Stidham and bashing Brady then we'll know for sure.
The clown disappeared when I called him out for lying about me saying there was no pandemic.

You can view the draft order here, Pats pick #15:

Needless to say, yesterday's win was a real gut punch and eliminated any reasonable chance of the Pats drafting a stud QB. Here is my opinion on teams in front of us that are likely to draft a QB:

JAX
NYJ
CAR
DEN

DET
DAL

MIN

So that is likely 4-7 QBs taken off the the board before we draft. Rather than reach in round one for a QB I think Bill will target a different position where there is more value and maybe sift through the debris to see what is left for QBs in round two or three hoping to find a gem. I also think there is a better than not chance that we Cam back here next year to compete for the starting job.

I guess the counter would be there is a guy Bill loves still available at seven. The Lions stick with Stafford and the Panthers and Broncos have not picked yet. Maybe swing a trade to move up? But how? We can't really afford to give away a boatload of draft picks and I don't think that would work anyway. The Lions aren't moving down eight spots in the draft (out of the top ten) for a 31 year old Gilmore. They aren't exactly in win now mode. I can't think of a young player we have that would make it worth their while. Or maybe wait and hope Carolina and Denver (and one of those top four teams) screw up and you get the third or fourth best QB of the class. God knows Elway likes to draft bad QBs in round one.

Sorry, I don't see any path other than sheer luck, to us getting a good QB in this draft. I think we roll it back with Cam and continue to build the offense through the draft and free agency over the next three years. Then, maybe once you've done that, if you still don't have a QB, you go after one of these high priced veteran free. agent options, the Matthew Stafford type. Not a great QB, but good enough to win with the right team around him. Whomever is available at that point.

What are your thoughts? Am I right, wrong, completely off base?
I actually doubt NYJ, DEN, DAL, NYG, MIN draft a QB in the 1st round. But I agree that there will be a minimum 4 QB's taken by the time we pick - including Wilson, Lawrence, Fields. If by miracle, Jones is still there, I wouldn't be upset. But I really just think BB is looking for a Vet FA. and I could see him going for a lesser known 2/3 rounder again in the draft. But, TE, DL, DB might be the 1st round pick. It'll all depend if he lands a legit QB in free agency. And there's no chance in hell he drafts a WR before the 3rd rd again.

I would like that. Qb run worries me that he may get bumped up into the r1 discussion.

maybe.....if there's a QB run, especially in round 1, that means a top 10 WR (smith/chase) or TE (pitts) will fall to us.....or they trade the pick and pick up 2 talents, and grab Tanner Morgan or Kellen Mond late, bring in someone who gets jettisoned by a team who drafted in the run. figure out something mediocre while you build the rest of the team (brissett)

If they aren't drafting a QB then I hope they draft an athletic defender. My fear is they overdraft a friend of Bill's prospect like Christian Barmore who would have been a better fit with the early 2000's Patriots because the same was different then. Paye is a really intriguing prospect but if his numbers at Indy are what everyone expects he'll be gone in the top ten.

After that there isn't anyone who fits the bill as high as 15th in the draft. So that leaves trading down or if you've traded Gilmore then draft Surtain who has length, speed and disposition.

If they aren't drafting a QB then I hope they draft an athletic defender. My fear is they overdraft a friend of Bill's prospect like Christian Barmore who would have been a better fit with the early 2000's Patriots because the same was different then. Paye is a really intriguing prospect but if his numbers at Indy are what everyone expects he'll be gone in the top ten.

After that there isn't anyone who fits the bill as high as 15th in the draft. So that leaves trading down or if you've traded Gilmore then draft Surtain who has length, speed and disposition.
Gilmore had a season-ending injury this year and he's going to be a year older. You're not going to get anything for him in a trade.

I like the idea of signing a vet QB again for next year, just not Cam. I am over Stid. Take Kyle Pitts at 15. Use Gilmore and an additional late pic to get back into late first round to select Mac Jones. Trade for Odell Beckham. We need a big hog NT in round 2-3.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back