PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My take on Kraft’s statement at the ownership meetings.

The biggest differences between RK and BB in football is that one has purchased production and one has produced. One prostrates himself to the league and the other flips it off. One needs positive reinforcement and one bristles at it. One is financially limited to owning one team and the other could work pretty much anywhere else in the league.
These two, along with TB, is a case of the stars' proper alignment. Imagine if all three could have stayed in his own lane. BTW, BB seems to do just that.

We’re learning what everyone already knows. Get the QB right if you want to make it. If Mac grows in stature and becomes elite, we’ll have another good run. If he doesn’t, we’ll be drafting again in 2 years to try again, which every team also keeps doing
Mac would be going from among the best-ever NFL rookie QBs, to unable to hold a job, in the "bad" scenario above. That's way down the list of my worries. You want the next best QB playing, but It seems extremely stupid to bother hoping for that, or complaining that it hasn't happened.

So barring that, you want a complete team and an "elite" QB. Now, if everybody has an elite QB, that's not "elite," definitionally. So at least cut that off at the top 5.

You can compete with a good QB, not top 5, and right now, Mac's at the entry level of "good QB." What does just "good" look like? Unfortunately "good" can have a nemesis that ALWAYS stomps him, "good" can go under .500 some years if he doesn't get his toys (unlike Tom, who lost in the first round in a terrible year,) and so on. "Good" is not even a Trent Dilfer level of "meh," it's just... he's fine.

It would be nice if Mac makes a huge leap this year, but there's a reason we stuck with Drew until Brady showed up. I don't think Drew was elite. Some big numbers, some years, but not elite. How many years did the gintz stick with Eli? He was never elite, he was just good against us. (But I could live with a 2-ring next QB.)

QB's the linchpin, agree. If Mac doesn't improve from a "wow!" rookie year, then agreed, bragging about numbers that make you among the best rookies isn't a good look 4 years in. But for now, resolving the Mac Jones evaluation is a multi-year project that's best left in the "so far so good" category.

It's the rest we have to get right, from all appearances. And luckily the Board is full of wise men doing just that, even if Bill Belichick NEVER listens!

You should go have a good cry about it, Ian even created a forum for you guys to do just that.

Nothing to cry about. Mistakes by front office happen all the time. Or in this case a colossal blunder. Just lick your wounds and move on. Can’t wind back the clock.

We’re learning what everyone already knows. Get the QB right if you want to make it. If Mac grows in stature and becomes elite, we’ll have another good run. If he doesn’t, we’ll be drafting again in 2 years to try again, which every team also keeps doing
Exceptions: McMahon, Flacco, Rypien, Dilfer, Johnson, Stafford

Last edited:
The biggest differences between RK and BB in football is that one has purchased production and one has produced. One prostrates himself to the league and the other flips it off. One needs positive reinforcement and one bristles at it. One is financially limited to owning one team and the other could work pretty much anywhere else in the league.
This is one of the all time greatest posts. (Appropriate, given the subjects!)

It's against a lot of people's religions to say this, but there are lots of parallels between the Sullivan and Kraft ownerships. Owners had some fundamental flaws, but hired some superlative coaches with less than stellar reputations, who brilliantly pursued and achieved success.

Without Sullivan, there is no Patriots. Without Kraft, ditto after 1993.

there's a reason we stuck with Drew until Brady showed up
Drew wasn't horrendous (I'm in a decent mood today).

Drew was ballyhooed, deified, pampered and coddled, and remains so.

He is The Most Overrated Athlete In The History Of Boston Sports.

Tony Eason's parents I expect have no beef with Raymond Berry, Tony's ego was salved, and we have no rings to show for it.

Different with Drew, and we have lots of rings.
I don't think Drew was elite
Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal
Tom And Jerry Lol GIF by myHQ
Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

...you're...sure about that, huh?...
Some big numbers, some years
I think this is an epidemic syndrome in the league, if not sports in general. People weren't impressed with Tom's numbers, until '07. Which, of course coincides with Goodell, CryGate, etc. But that's a Patriots-specific phenomenon.

BTW, I'd take Jim Plunkett or Doug Flutie, just like Brady, over most others in a game I wanted to win. And people just look at Jim's career numbers and...he's not even in Canton. Neither is Doug.

Nothing to cry about. Mistakes by front office happen all the time. Or in this case a colossal blunder. Just lick your wounds and move on. Can’t wind back the clock.

It’s been 3 years, you have hardly “ moved on.” Just endless crybaby bullish.t.

I agree with the analysis that the Harry pick was the last straw. Tom was done after that.

I thought it was the most reliable player in NFL history( Antonio Brown) getting released that was the final straw for Brady, but Harry certainly didn’t help.

Brady is the GOAT, there’s no question about that, and I wanted him to finish his career in NE, but I certainly understand why he wanted out. Belichick is also the GOAT, but he’s also the definition of a hard ass, and must be very difficult to play for, let alone play for 20 years. I think that the only way Brady would have stayed is if Belichick had gone against his model and loaded the offense with star WR’s, and Belichick wasn’t going to do that. But he may have wanted out even then, simply because he was tired of playing for Belichick.

As far as Belichick goes I think he was also ready to move on, but not because Brady couldn’t play at a high level, but because he knew that rebuilding to a championship level would take time after Brady left, and he wants to get this franchise to serious contender status before retiring, or leaving coaching and moving solely to the front office. He’s not Parcells, and he wasn’t going to squeeze the last ounce out of Brady and go out with him, leaving with a huge cap burden, and a depleted roster. So while I hated to see Brady go, I think Belichick did have the franchise’ best interests in mind for the long term, as rebuilding after a 20 year dynasty is a big challenge, and that’s what he’s dealing with now.

I understand why fans were unhappy to see Brady leave, but it’s been 3 years, and that’s plenty of time to get over it and move on.

Ian gave you guys a forum to cry about Brady in, the problem is that even 3 years later you guys can’t abide by that and keep your crying, b.tching and complaining about Belichick to your forum, and you feel the need to bring it to this forum over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over……………again.

Ian gave you guys a forum to cry about Brady in, the problem is that even 3 years later you guys can’t abide by that and keep your crying, b.tching and complaining about Belichick to your forum, and you feel the need to bring it to this forum over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over……………again.
"We fall but we keep getting up, over and over and over and over and..."

Drew wasn't horrendous (I'm in a decent mood today).

Drew was ballyhooed, deified, pampered and coddled, and remains so.

He is The Most Overrated Athlete In The History Of Boston Sports.

Tony Eason's parents I expect have no beef with Raymond Berry, Tony's ego was salved, and we have no rings to show for it.

Different with Drew, and we have lots of rings.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal
Tom And Jerry Lol GIF by myHQ
Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

...you're...sure about that, huh?...

I think this is an epidemic syndrome in the league, if not sports in general. People weren't impressed with Tom's numbers, until '07. Which, of course coincides with Goodell, CryGate, etc. But that's a Patriots-specific phenomenon.

BTW, I'd take Jim Plunkett or Doug Flutie, just like Brady, over most others in a game I wanted to win. And people just look at Jim's career numbers and...he's not even in Canton. Neither is Doug.
Drew was a decent QB. Admit it - you, like me, spent 5 years totally jazzed about how he wasnt Ryan Leaf, and then psyched because you knew that with Parcell and Bledsoe and Terry Glenn and Curtis Martin, it was GOING to happen for us :). Truth is, all those pieces and some others around them were good enough to make some more real runs, but the Tuna blew it all up. Not to mention, it's conceivable that if the Tuna's not busy pretending it's the offseason instead of preparing for the biggest game to that date in New England history, we're looking at a ring in the 90s to go with whatever happened thereafter, assuming the latter events aren't butterfly-ef****ed.

I can see it. Parcell backhands emissaries from the NJ Jest and declares he is not finished bringing a championship to New England. The JEST declare him out of the running, he gets pissed and actually comes up with a masterful plan for the Super Bowl. Drew handles the pressure and ends up in an epic QB duel with Bret Favrevruh, finally winning the SB on a last minute drive maybe with a dramatic heave or two toward the end. Madden proclaims, "What Drew Bledsoe just did gave me goosebumps."

Everybody's back the next season, and everybody's hoping the Pats will repeat, sort of like they hoped for Denver, to put the imbalance betweeen conferences in the rearview. The epic rematch continues the Favrevruh-Bledsoe rivalry as they make each other better, but for both of them, that just means gunslingier. There are no Elway Super Bowls as the Bledsoe led Patriots rule the conference with an iron fist, changing the balance of power away from the NFC singlehanded. Denver declines, and while they don't think it's a high priority, they do put more energy into scouting the "next Elway," taking a flyer on one Thomas Edward Brady in the sixth round. The Pats like him too, but draft too low to get him in the 6th, and just can't see it in the first through fifth rounds.

Bledsoe's three-out-of-four performance in Super Bowls fulfills the wildest dreams of Patriots fans, and APF declares that he can die a happy man now that the fore-ordained pairing of Bledsoe and Parcell has led the New England Patriots to repeat performances in the promised land.

Meanwhile ActualBroncosFan inveighs on the need to retire the "cyberhorse" so that the new Brady-Shanahan era isn't saddled (sic) with bad unis to boot, now that the new look has already driven Elway into retirement.

Because we are finishing higher, scheduling dictates we play the Jets on a different week, and Mo shears the aorta of a completely different quarterback on what would have been Pats week. Drew Bledsoe is evenually succeeded by Rohan Davey. After his lone Super Bowl victory Robert Kraft proclaims, "Today, we are all Rohirrim." Then he puzzlingly has son Jonathtan laid out still alive on a funeral pyre. Kraft is sent to recuperate at a day spa in Jupiter, Florida, but nobody looks too closely at the rehab facility and it turns out their form of recuperation is a bad match for his brand of mental illness. With Kraft Sr. around the bend, Kraft Jr. takes the reins....

Never mind. Yeah Drew was good-ish, and a lot of the time whatever else is happening can make it all happen, and in retrospect, you're HOF-good not just meh.

It’s been 3 years, you have hardly “ moved on.” Just endless crybaby bullish.t.

I guess it was that big a blunder.

Brady vs BB debate will never go out of Style.

Oops I really meant we were all jazzed that he wasn't Rick Mirer. But everybody is always jazzed not to have Ryan Leaf too.

Drew was a decent QB. Admit it - you, like me, spent 5 years totally jazzed about how he wasnt Ryan Leaf, and then psyched because you knew that with Parcell and Bledsoe and Terry Glenn and Curtis Martin, it was GOING to happen for us :). Truth is, all those pieces and some others around them were good enough to make some more real runs, but the Tuna blew it all up. Not to mention, it's conceivable that if the Tuna's not busy pretending it's the offseason instead of preparing for the biggest game to that date in New England history, we're looking at a ring in the 90s to go with whatever happened thereafter, assuming the latter events aren't butterfly-ef****ed.

I can see it. Parcell backhands emissaries from the NJ Jest and declares he is not finished bringing a championship to New England. The JEST declare him out of the running, he gets pissed and actually comes up with a masterful plan for the Super Bowl. Drew handles the pressure and ends up in an epic QB duel with Bret Favrevruh, finally winning the SB on a last minute drive maybe with a dramatic heave or two toward the end. Madden proclaims, "What Drew Bledsoe just did gave me goosebumps."

Everybody's back the next season, and everybody's hoping the Pats will repeat, sort of like they hoped for Denver, to put the imbalance betweeen conferences in the rearview. The epic rematch continues the Favrevruh-Bledsoe rivalry as they make each other better, but for both of them, that just means gunslingier. There are no Elway Super Bowls as the Bledsoe led Patriots rule the conference with an iron fist, changing the balance of power away from the NFC singlehanded. Denver declines, and while they don't think it's a high priority, they do put more energy into scouting the "next Elway," taking a flyer on one Thomas Edward Brady in the sixth round. The Pats like him too, but draft too low to get him in the 6th, and just can't see it in the first through fifth rounds.

Bledsoe's three-out-of-four performance in Super Bowls fulfills the wildest dreams of Patriots fans, and APF declares that he can die a happy man now that the fore-ordained pairing of Bledsoe and Parcell has led the New England Patriots to repeat performances in the promised land.

Meanwhile ActualBroncosFan inveighs on the need to retire the "cyberhorse" so that the new Brady-Shanahan era isn't saddled (sic) with bad unis to boot, now that the new look has already driven Elway into retirement.

Because we are finishing higher, scheduling dictates we play the Jets on a different week, and Mo shears the aorta of a completely different quarterback on what would have been Pats week. Drew Bledsoe is evenually succeeded by Rohan Davey. After his lone Super Bowl victory Robert Kraft proclaims, "Today, we are all Rohirrim." Then he puzzlingly has son Jonathtan laid out still alive on a funeral pyre. Kraft is sent to recuperate at a day spa in Jupiter, Florida, but nobody looks too closely at the rehab facility and it turns out their form of recuperation is a bad match for his brand of mental illness. With Kraft Sr. around the bend, Kraft Jr. takes the reins....

Never mind. Yeah Drew was good-ish, and a lot of the time whatever else is happening can make it all happen, and in retrospect, you're HOF-good not just meh.
Back in the real world, Parcells brought the culture, and the winning. And he never got along with Kraft. From the start.

Everyone (except me) was mesmerized by Bledsoe's passing stats. He's better than Eason, who also could throw a ball.

Going into the Bayou in '97, I felt we would only win if we got lucky. In retrospect, I think the Parcells sideshow didn't have any effect on anything. Parcells & Perkins clearly felt they could just call a typical game and the fourth year kid was up to the mark (those passing stats WERE good). I think it was a failure of scouting the Packers, and a failure to realize that Curtis Martin WAS up to the mark, and they had to ride him.

Interestingly, I'm surprised Belichick apparently wasn't any kind of factor. So Drew's a bit better than Hostetler, but he'd been an HC for five years. Guess he was too busy (unsuccessfully) trying to figure out how to stop Andre "Bad Moon" Rison.

Makes no sense that local media takes points off Parcells' silly candidacy for the team HOF because of what he did to 'undermine' the Patriots when with the Jets. HE WAS WITH ANOTHER TEAM. OF COURSE HE'S NOT DOING US ANY FAVORS (although, he did ultimately acquiesce, and let Bill come here in exchange for a pick. He should GET points for that!).

And, the 2001 Patriots do not smell the playoffs with Drew. Would be lucky to go 8-8.

Brady vs BB debate will never go out of Style.

So true, trolls will never let it go. We should just call them out for the crybaby @ssholes they are and leave it at that.

I guess it was that big a blunder.

Or you are just a little b.tch who can’t let it go. I’m going with the latter. Go cry in your Buccaneers forum,

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back