PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
By the evening of Day One, my priorities are:

1. Re-sign Peppers.
2. Re-sign Jones
3. Tender Cajuste
===============
Our trade for a WR might happen in the next week, or it might wait for more information on the WR market (especially for Meyers and Juju).

Yip, a good start

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

1. Re-sign Peppers.
2. Re-sign Jones
3. Tender Cajuste
===============
Our trade for a WR might happen in the next week, or it might wait for more information on the WR market (especially for Meyers and Juju).

If all we do is resign Meyers & sign JuJu, we will have wrapped up last place in the division

Let’s remember we have one player in the top 100 & it is a guard we drafted in the 6th round a couple years ago.
We need Talent !!!
Meyers has the ability to get open, but he lacks speed & he is not worth the money they are talking.

I am ok with Meyers being our WR3, but if we go into this year with him as our WR1, we are in trouble.

The Dolphins just got Ramsey & we are talking about resigning Jones.

I am more frustrated with post Brady Patriots than I ever was with the Ron Earnhardt, Rod Rust, & **** McPhearson teams.

Nobody pretended they were contenders.

did you just cite a player poll? yikes.
If went by a Patsfans poll we would have 53 in the top 100 ….. lol

I do believe Judon should have been on the list.

Last edited:
I want all the olineman

Minus huge moves and overhauls this teams ceiling next season is a first round playoff elimination.

They’re a couple years of positive growth from being anything approaching a contender

Let them all walk.

1. Re-sign Peppers.
2. Re-sign Jones
3. Tender Cajuste
===============
… and my priorities are
1. Do all the things at home to keep the wife and kids happy.
2. Do enough and try to stay relevant at work to remain employed.
3. Be told that that I know nothing about football on this site.

Minus huge moves and overhauls this teams ceiling next season is a first round playoff elimination.

They’re a couple years of positive growth from being anything approaching a contender
This team as far as a projection could have been on the trajectory that JAX is on.. this is how much last season pushed us back. now JAX having ridley back in the fold gives Lawrence exactly what we don't have a #1 WR..

1. Re-sign Peppers.
2. Re-sign Jones
3. Tender Cajuste
===============

By the evening of “Day One“ most of FA is already over. Nice haul : )

If all we do is resign Meyers & sign JuJu, we will have wrapped up last place in the division

Let’s remember we have one player in the top 100 & it is a guard we drafted in the 6th round a couple years ago.
We need Talent !!!
Meyers has the ability to get open, but he lacks speed & he is not worth the money they are talking.

I am ok with Meyers being our WR3, but if we go into this year with him as our WR1, we are in trouble.

The Dolphins just got Ramsey & we are talking about resigning Jones.

I am more frustrated with post Brady Patriots than I ever was with the Ron Earnhardt, Rod Rust, & **** McPhearson teams.

Nobody pretended they were contenders.

Man…it’s going to be a long offseason. :maybenot:

He also just discussed a possible trade, which as @ mgteich mentioned might require seeing how the chips fall with those guys, particularly Meyers. And the question has never been Meyers being their #1, it’s been about who can they get as a potential #1 to go with him, provided he doesn’t get priced out by another team.

A lot of people in here every offseason talk about wanting to make moves that would include signing everybody and scoring 40+ a game. As amazing as that would be, it’s not realistic. I agree with @mgteich. If they can solidify the offensive line, re-sign Meyers and grab an impact receiver, re-sign Jonathan Jones and add some depth in the secondary, they’ll be in decent shape for a nucleus. From there, adding a big d-lineman and a veteran tackle and also drafting one of those would also help.

They need to be able to be as solid defensively next year as they were this year and simply be able to put points up on the board. People forget they went over 40 three times in 2021 and hit 50+ twice. They need to be able to be more efficient offensively and O’Brien should fix that.

I get that last year left a bad taste, but they need to be as good as they were in 2021 but more talented and polished. As we saw this past season, it’s not like a ton of teams are lighting it up and as bad as they were, they were still competitive and could have won additional games where they beat themselves.

With Brady gone, the days of dominating are gone right now. But they can be good enough to surprise everyone, provided they shore up those key areas in the coming weeks/months. But things definitely aren’t as dire as people are making them out to be, again, provided they take care of business.

Last edited:
He also just discussed a possible trade, which as @ mgteich mentioned might require seeing how the chips fall with those guys, particularly Meyers. And the question has never been Meyers being their #1, it’s been about who can they get as a potential #1 to go with him, provided he doesn’t get priced out by another team.
What drives me to distraction is what does “priced out” mean. They have the cash, they have the cap space and they have a good rapport with Drew Rosenhaus.

If the market for a #2 receiver is $14 million as exhibited by him getting a couple of offers in that neighborhood, why can’t or won’t the Patriots just pay the market price to retain a young, productive player? The days of them saying “we see you as a $12.5 m player and you either accept that or else” need to be over.

Free agents are no longer coming here on the cheap to chase a ring and rebuild their value. Those days are done. They’ve got to keep the good talent they develop while adding to it in the draft to return to contender status.

What drives me to distraction is what does “priced out” mean. They have the cash, they have the cap space and they have a good rapport with Drew Rosenhaus.

If the market for a #2 receiver is $14 million as exhibited by him getting a couple of offers in that neighborhood, why can’t or won’t the Patriots just pay the market price to retain a young, productive player? The days of them saying “we see you as a $12.5 m player and you either accept that or else” need to be over.

Free agents are no longer coming here on the cheap to chase a ring and rebuild their value. Those days are done. They’ve got to keep the good talent they develop while adding to it in the draft to return to contender status.
I agree. The problem with Meyers will be if the market blows up and he gets an offer from someone else at $17 or $18 million, which would make it too hard to keep him.

I’d be fine blowing up the whole thing. There is no one I’m extremely passionate about.

That said, I did like Peppers this year. I think he was an under-the-radar contributor who seemed to come on the last third of the season.

Cajuste ? I couldn’t care less. UDFA would produce just as much, maybe stay on the field more.

Reactions: Ian
I’d be fine blowing up the whole thing. There is no one I’m extremely passionate about.

That said, I did like Peppers this year. I think he was an under-the-radar contributor who seemed to come on the last third of the season.

Cajuste ? I couldn’t care less. UDFA would produce just as much, maybe stay on the field more.
Don't forget, securing someone like Cajuste in March basically ensures you retain the guy you know vs the potential unknowns who could emerge. People tend to undervalue known role players, not realizing how important it is to keep them in the fold until you at least have an unknown who has proven they can get the job done. The worst part about last year is that as bad as it was, things actually could have been worse and it's guys like this who kept it from potentially reaching that point.

And then the real team building begins... We we hopefully find the second tier players to round out the depth needed to fill out the weaker positions...

Every day is real team building. Next two FAs is the most cap space and cap advantage BB ever had in NE and will ever have.
If you dont have key top level pieces - you can round up all “second tier“ echelon you like and it will get you nowhere.

In recent years Pats lost Tom, Gronk, Jules, decent OL, Hightower, Gilmore, DMC - so the WHOLE backbone.
As you can see they had top tier player at virtually every position of the BACKBONE.
Over the last years they were not able to REPLACE a single one of them.

They have a TON of cap space over the next 3 years (on account of having rookie QB and not borrowing from the future in past years)
#8 in 2023, #4 in 2024, #1 in 2025
They also have one of best Draft capitals they ever had recently.

And you suggest they should skip the start of FA and aim for “second tier”?

If they dont address this offseason aggressively to add at least some top talent - i wont be disappointed - ill be BAFFLED : )
I dont mean ALL IN at all . QB situation does not call for that . but at least to spend to the cap and give themselves a chance to compete & evaluate properly..

-.-

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back