PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Priorities By WED

I would agree. If we don't see them at least make one surprise quality signing, I think it would be tough to come out of free agency not feeling a little concerned. But they need to also stay where they are to at least not take a step backward, and a lot of those second-tier guys do end up becoming valuable, especially weathering losses to key guys midseason. But I do agree, we do need to see them hopefully make a significant signing given how much money they have this offseason. Although, I'm hoping some of that is used on retaining some key guys as well.
This is the same argument people made about the LB corps last year - that everyone must go (except Judon) - and then Uche and Bentley have solid years in their respective middle class roles as returning guys instead of using additional draft or free agency capital.

Can mid-tier and backups be upgraded? Sure, but you have 21 other positions with the same issue, plus multi-year contracts, a salary cap, differing development curves, free agents who say no, retirements, limited draft capital, injuries, and millions of other variables.outside of the team's control. So they use what they can control to try not to backslide as the alternative to improve everything which is almost impossible.

There will always be someone better at every position on most teams using the "name game". Envy is easy.

Reactions: Ian
The Pats are not a star based team, they prioritize depth over a few shiny stars. In my view, their to-do list is (in no particular order):
1. fix the OC & OL coaching (done)
2. make the run game dominant again (an OT and a 3rd down back)
3. don't let the D backslide, continue to build it
4. fix everything about special teams
5. improve the passing game with a quality WR (two if we lose Meyers), and a promising TE

That's about 7-8 players: 2 for the run game, 2-3 for the pass game, 2 for the back 7, and a punter.

This is a team that should have made the playoffs easily last year but for self inflicted BS with some horrid officiating thrown in. They're good with cap space and expiring contracts (so should improve through FA), and they have a nice list of draft picks.
A fine analysis!
My list is a bit longer. Hopefully re-signs will get the list of additions down to your 7-8.

RUN GAME
OT, RB

PASING GAME
WR, WR, TE

FRONT SIX
DL
LB/ST

DEFENSIVE BACKS
CB
CB or S

SPECIAL TEAMS
P
LS

What drives me to distraction is what does “priced out” mean. They have the cash, they have the cap space and they have a good rapport with Drew Rosenhaus.

If the market for a #2 receiver is $14 million as exhibited by him getting a couple of offers in that neighborhood, why can’t or won’t the Patriots just pay the market price to retain a young, productive player? The days of them saying “we see you as a $12.5 m player and you either accept that or else” need to be over.

Free agents are no longer coming here on the cheap to chase a ring and rebuild their value. Those days are done. They’ve got to keep the good talent they develop while adding to it in the draft to return to contender status.
The problem is that the salary cap is a ZERO SUM game. That is it's a limited PIE, and the more you give to one guy, the less you have to give to other guys.

1678749068017.png

So if you pay a very mid WR like Meyers 14m, that takes 14m out of the pie that you could have used to sign a premium WR who could have been your #1 for example. So it's not all that cut and dried simple as, if he 'only costs 14m' to be your #2 why wouldn't you, when in fact you are still lacking a #1 WR, a left tackle, and other pieces to compete at a high level to hopefully climb out of the AFC East basement.

Let's face it, there's no defensive coordinator in the NFL who loses sleep over how to defend Jakobi Meyers. Once you have a #1 WR, then everyone else slots into place. It's a cascading effect since when the defense focuses their attention on the star WR, lesser talents can get more wide open looks to make plays.

The problem is that the salary cap is a ZERO SUM game. That is it's a limited PIE, and the more you give to one guy, the less you have to give to other guys.

View attachment 50407

So if you pay a very mid WR like Meyers 14m, that takes 14m out of the pie that you could have used to sign a premium WR who could have been your #1 for example. So it's not all that cut and dried simple as, if he 'only costs 14m' to be your #2 why wouldn't you, when in fact you are still lacking a #1 WR, a left tackle, and other pieces to compete at a high level to hopefully climb out of the AFC East basement.

Let's face it, there's no defensive coordinator in the NFL who loses sleep over how to defend Jakobi Meyers. Once you have a #1 WR, then everyone else slots into place. It's a cascading effect since when the defense focuses their attention on the star WR, lesser talents can get more wide open looks to make plays.
Sounds good
============
What you ignore is that some teams play to have a run at the championship over 3-5 years, and move everything into the future, and then spend 3-5 years paying the piper for the dead cap money (finishing with almost no chance at the playoffs). Consider the rams. I suspect that their fans are very happy with the choices the team has made over the past 6 years. And now it is time to truly suck.

Other team try to competitive every year, and push much, much less into the future. We are such a team.

Sounds good
============
What you ignore is that some teams play to have a run at the championship over 3-5 years, and move everything into the future, and then spend 3-5 years paying the piper for the dead cap money (finishing with almost no chance at the playoffs). Consider the rams. I suspect that their fans are very happy with the choices the team has made over the past 6 years. And now it is time to truly suck.

Other team try to competitive every year, and push much, much less into the future. We are such a team.
Right, plus we had our recent run in Brady's last 6 years here, with 3 rings. The next year was the throwaway covid/Cam year, and the past 2 years we've been in the playoff hunt. The Pats and many of us "identify" as a playoff team and real contender, and with a half dozen good moves in the next 60 days this team will be ready.

What part of - they have a TON OF CAP - TOP 5 IN THE LEAGUE over next 3 years - dont you understand?
Let's ask the coach about future spending potential....

"Over a three-year period, we are one of the lowest spending teams in the league.” Bill Belichick (01/09/22)

"Now let's lock up Ferentz then get me the scouting reports on all the D3 punters"

My biggest priority was not to tender Myles effing Bryant at 2.6M.

By the evening of Day One, my priorities are:

1. Re-sign Peppers.
2. Re-sign Jones
3. Tender Cajuste
===============
Our trade for a WR might happen in the next week, or it might wait for more information on the WR market (especially for Meyers and Juju).

1 out of 3 so far……

I have a question. If we don't pick Mac's fifth year option , will we still be able to franchise tag him for the 5th year . What's the difference in contact value?

What scenario are you imagining where franchising him would be better for the team than the 5th year option? You must be seeing something I'm not.

I just have a feeling we are going to be underwhelmed by our free agency and the draft. I just don’t have the confidence that things will change much. I can guarantee you that 2 of our 4th round picks will be spent on a kicker and a punter. It’s just a feeling though. Inactivity on the 1st day when you have good cap space is always a red flag.

Except, well, they signed one of the best FA CB's to a team friendly deal, on day one. Day two, signed a #3 OT that was better than anyone we played at RT all year. So, not seeing any red flags.

The Signing Day isn't relevant anyway. Earlier signees don't show up at camp earlier.

Reactions: Ian
Except, well, they signed one of the best FA CB's to a team friendly deal, on day one. Day two, signed a #3 OT that was better than anyone we played at RT all year. So, not seeing any red flags.

The Signing Day isn't relevant anyway. Earlier signees don't show up at camp earlier.
That Jonathan Jones deal is underrated. He doesn’t get enough credit for how valuable he really is.

Congratulations, 3 out of 3

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back