PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Priorities By WED

I’ve seen people saying the QB fifth year option will be over $30M in 2025 in relation to Mac Jones but I don’t really see how that’s possible if it’s only about $23M for Tua in 2024.
I think the people suggesting $30M are missing that it takes an original ballot Pro Bowl selection to get that salary upgrade, not just participating as an alternate.

I really like JJones. Been a fan for years and I agree that he was instrumental in 2018. Developed into a good starter last season.

I agree you can win with JJones. But is he a difference maker ? Is he going to lead a team to a SB ?
I would say yes, because he does enough defensively and on special teams where he’s going to be hard to replace if they lose him. And he’s good enough to help get you there and - as we’ve already seen - definitely good enough to help you win one.

I stopped reading when you posted that Onwenu was the major problem (along with our RT).
Alicia Silverstone Oops GIF

mea culpa... i forgot all about him

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

i forgot about him
no problem.

We are fine at IOL with Strange, Andrews, and Onwenu.
We might also be OK with backups Hines, Russey, and Ferentz (although we will continue to try to find future starters, especially at center.
===========================
The elephant in the room is OT. I don't feel good about ANY of them for 2023, or even as prospects for the future.

I agree. The problem with Meyers will be if the market blows up and he gets an offer from someone else at $17 or $18 million, which would make it too hard to keep him.
I feel that we as fans ,Because we've seen how the organization always operated ( past tense terms) during the years. So we've have seen that they aren't going to pay guys top of the market contracts typically. The Patriots have a number they feel that thier own players are worth.

Just like Edelman he was told to see what his market was and come back to them.. I want the team to keep Myers he's a guy that's a key in the cog offensively.. however unless it's a lower number than the 12-15 range I don't see him staying.

However with or without Myers we need to gather talent.. gather as much talent as we can and allow the roles to materialize during camp. Just my opinion!

no problem.

We are fine at IOL with Strange, Andrews, and Onwenu.
We might also be OK with backups Hines, Russey, and Ferentz (although we will continue to try to find future starters, especially at center.
===========================
The elephant in the room is OT. I don't feel good about ANY of them for 2023, or even as prospects for the future.
Unless klem can convince brown to come out of retirement lol

I think the people suggesting $30M are missing that it takes an original ballot Pro Bowl selection to get that salary upgrade, not just participating as an alternate.
Thanks Sciz, that is most likely the gap. Makes sense.

IMO, while many folks say that Mac MUST be extended next off-season, the same could have been said of Tua last year (who wasn’t extended last year and instead had his option picked up this year) and also Justin Herbert (again, wasn’t extended last year, option still pending)… oh, AND Joe Burrow, who again also wasn’t extended and his option is still pending. So they certainly could play it out with Jones this year, pick up his option next off-season, get a fourth cheap year in 2024, get a fifth season that’s not totally outrageous comparatively speaking for a QB at $25M or so, and THEN make a decision after five years.

Last edited:
Call me guilty on that one... I generally overestimate the size of the signing bonus and the upfront guaranteed salaries... Typically for free agent grade A, day one starters... And I also overestimate the cost of keep our guys in the fold because I conflate their importance to us with other teams pov... What can i say, I'm biased, and im fine with that, and have no qualms about it, lol

Seems pretty realistic to me. A couple caveats:

1) What would be the number that Cajuste would be tendered at? Is that a guaranteed contract in that case? I don't mind bringing Cajuste back to compete for a backup role, but I'd rather it be easy to move on from him if a late round/UDFA rookie earns it.

2) I'm guessing Jon Jones is going to get the Hightower/Edelman/McCourty deal, where he hits free agency and comes back to the Patriots to match if they want. That could happen during the legal tampering period, and I hope it does, but if not I won't panic.

Typically the Pats play FA as being about filling all the holes on the team with average players, so they can then draft for BPA. I see no reason to think it will be otherwise this year.

I have a question. If we don't pick Mac's fifth year option , will we still be able to franchise tag him for the 5th year . What's the difference in contact value?

Every day is real team building. Next two FAs is the most cap space and cap advantage BB ever had in NE and will ever have.
If you dont have key top level pieces - you can round up all “second tier“ echelon you like and it will get you nowhere.

In recent years Pats lost Tom, Gronk, Jules, decent OL, Hightower, Gilmore, DMC - so the WHOLE backbone.
As you can see they had top tier player at virtually every position of the BACKBONE.
Over the last years they were not able to REPLACE a single one of them.

They have a TON of cap space over the next 3 years (on account of having rookie QB and not borrowing from the future in past years)
#8 in 2023, #4 in 2024, #1 in 2025
They also have one of best Draft capitals they ever had recently.

And you suggest they should skip the start of FA and aim for “second tier”?

If they dont address this offseason aggressively to add at least some top talent - i wont be disappointed - ill be BAFFLED : )
I dont mean ALL IN at all . QB situation does not call for that . but at least to spend to the cap and give themselves a chance to compete & evaluate properly..

-.-
The Pats are not a star based team, they prioritize depth over a few shiny stars. In my view, their to-do list is (in no particular order):
1. fix the OC & OL coaching (done)
2. make the run game dominant again (an OT and a 3rd down back)
3. don't let the D backslide, continue to build it
4. fix everything about special teams
5. improve the passing game with a quality WR (two if we lose Meyers), and a promising TE

That's about 7-8 players: 2 for the run game, 2-3 for the pass game, 2 for the back 7, and a punter.

This is a team that should have made the playoffs easily last year but for self inflicted BS with some horrid officiating thrown in. They're good with cap space and expiring contracts (so should improve through FA), and they have a nice list of draft picks.

I have a question. If we don't pick Mac's fifth year option , will we still be able to franchise tag him for the 5th year . What's the difference in contact value?
Based on the Daniel Jones situation, the answer would seem to be yes. It will be approx. mid 20's (5th year) vs. mid-30's (franchise) depending on his performance and NFL contract changes

I can't see a case where we'd be franchising Mac after year 4. We'll either pick up his 5th year option, or trade him if he hasn't improved. I think he's gonna have a very good season this year.

He also just discussed a possible trade, which as @ mgteich mentioned might require seeing how the chips fall with those guys, particularly Meyers. And the question has never been Meyers being their #1, it’s been about who can they get as a potential #1 to go with him, provided he doesn’t get priced out by another team.

Meyers was our #1 in 2022 & if you review the posts last season, people around here seemed satisfied with last years receivers before the season started.

I bumped heads with quite a few members last year who were satisfied with our receivers & a few wanted me banned for posting an unapproved list that had the patriots receivers 29th.

The best I seen them rated before last season started was 20th.

20 of 32 is a 62.5% D minus

I would like to say, 20th in a 32 team league is nothing to be happy about.

This is a passing league & I do not see a team winning today with Meyers as there #1.

I am fine with Meyers on a team friendly deal as our #3, but we need talent & speed above him to compete

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ian
I just have a feeling we are going to be underwhelmed by our free agency and the draft. I just don’t have the confidence that things will change much. I can guarantee you that 2 of our 4th round picks will be spent on a kicker and a punter. It’s just a feeling though. Inactivity on the 1st day when you have good cap space is always a red flag.

I just have a feeling we are going to be underwhelmed by our free agency and the draft. I just don’t have the confidence that things will change much. I can guarantee you that 2 of our 4th round picks will be spent on a kicker and a punter. It’s just a feeling though. Inactivity on the 1st day when you have good cap space is always a red flag.
Yes, you will be disappointed with free agency if the need is to sign a top player 2 days before free agency begins.

In any case, I am certainly NOT disappointed with today. Signing Jones was a very important move, whether he starts at outside corner, slot corner or free safety. We signed a solid starter.

And yes, it is important that decisions have been made on Hoyer, Smith, and Bailey.

And yes, Belichick has executed his normal minor re-signings/extensions to Slater, Tavai, Ferentz, McDermott, and McMillan.
===============
I guess you think that Belichick owes us an apology for only signing/re-signing 6 players as of two days before free agency starts.
==============
I expect a couple of minor signings before free agency starts, hopefully including Peppers (who could lead tomorrow's group of transactions. We also could re-sgn Davis or Davis or Ekuale (or even Cordona).
================
AS AN ASIDE
We also will hear about our tenders of RFA's.

Mine are- Shovel my driveway 3 times, get my dog out 5-6 times, play indoor golf 1time.

I expect Myers and Dorsett back and the team stays status quo. Pretty underwhelming.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back