PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint For the Pats

The only way he doesn't go top 15 I believe is he doesn't live up to expectations at the combine. I think, unless he looks terrible at the Senior Bowl, he'll get a pass due to his already factored in rawness and it'll only be shorter arms, poor vert etc at the combine that drops him.

I'm just re-watching last years first round (still shocked by Pats trading up twice :eek: ) and teams really did go for athleticism.

I think he'll do quite well at the combine. Time to start think of contingencies, maybe Tank Carradine and David Bass.

The only way he doesn't go top 15 I believe is he doesn't live up to expectations at the combine. I think, unless he looks terrible at the Senior Bowl, he'll get a pass due to his already factored in rawness and it'll only be shorter arms, poor vert etc at the combine that drops him.

I'm just re-watching last years first round (still shocked by Pats trading up twice :eek: ) and teams really did go for athleticism.

I think it's a bit early to be saying "only way he doesn't go top 15". It's possible, but 15 is a very tough threshold to break through. Consider some of the defensive competition he'd be up against:

DT Lotulelei
DT Hankins*
OLB Jones*
DE Montgomery*
DE/OLB Mingo*
DE Werner*
DE Moore*
DT Richardson*
ILB Te'o
CB Milliner/Banks

Ansah is a phenomenal athlete and he's progressing very quickly, but top 15 is a pretty high pick to spend on an athlete. Look at how Kansas City's done with Dontari Poe, a phenomenal athlete with tremendous upside but who was probably better suited to be a late 1st round pick based on his technical development compared to his athletic ability.

It's possible that Ansah will go top 15, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at this point, but any means. And if he does, it means that one or more of the above guys will get pushed down.

If he falls into range for them, I can see the Giants being all over Ansah.

If he develops like everyone thinks he will, him & JPP on the same line...:eek:

Ezekiel Ansah vs Notre Dame 2012 - YouTube

BYU @ Notre Dame

Showing his versatility:

0:46 - lines up as NT in 3 man line - takes on a double team, not a lot of penetration

Next play - lines up as 3/4 DE, first attempts to set the edge, but the play runs behind him, and he quickly recovers and takes the back down for minimal gain.

Next play he's sort of lined up as 3/4 DE (face to face with the R Tackle)- but he's standing up and there is no WOLB on his side. One of the linebackers blitzes directly at the RT, drawing the attention of both the RT and RG. Ansah momentarily looks to be planning to run around the tackle towards the QB, but then either by plan or by diagnosis -sprints around both blockers to the inside (A gap) and tackles the runner.

Kinda crazy to see plays like these back to back to back. NT on one play, then showing some nice footwork and speed both inside of the tackle box and stretching towards the sideline.

For the rest of the video, you get to see him lining up at the LDE spot, often facing double teams or having the play run away from him. There is a goal-to-go stand in there (5:24) where they single team him on 3 consecutive runs and he pretty well blows up his blocker and forces the FG - looks like 2 gapping to me.

Hmmm see i saw this ND film and all i could think is the guy looked athletic but it seemed to me that the RT really handled him on run plays most of the time. Did anyone else get this? The 1st rush i saw at the LT was good but he seemed to get moved pretty easily when ND were running

From those clips against ND he looked like he was easily blocked, got lost on a number of plays, bit hard on play action and bar a couple of good plays looked generally ineffective.

I think it's a bit early to be saying "only way he doesn't go top 15". It's possible, but 15 is a very tough threshold to break through. Consider some of the defensive competition he'd be up against:

DT Lotulelei
DT Hankins*
OLB Jones*
DE Montgomery*
DE/OLB Mingo*
DE Werner*
DE Moore*
DT Richardson*
ILB Te'o
CB Milliner/Banks

Ansah is a phenomenal athlete and he's progressing very quickly, but top 15 is a pretty high pick to spend on an athlete. Look at how Kansas City's done with Dontari Poe, a phenomenal athlete with tremendous upside but who was probably better suited to be a late 1st round pick based on his technical development compared to his athletic ability.

It's possible that Ansah will go top 15, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at this point, but any means. And if he does, it means that one or more of the above guys will get pushed down.

Here's why I think he will go top 10

1. You mention Dontari Poe, don't forget Stephon Gilmore. Had late 1st, 2nd round ability but had ideal length and athleticism for his position. Went top 10. And of course, we musn't forget Michael Brockers, offered little in the way of pass rush but had ideal size. So that's three players last year alone.

2. Your point on all the competition is well taken, but for most of the pass-rushers, their 'stock' is mostly falling. Mingo and Werner haven't put up great numbers, Montgomery was being talked of as top 5, now top 20, Jarvis Jones has neck issues which may raise red flags and isn't a perfect physical specimen for his projected position (which in itself is a bit of a problem, where does he play?)

3. Check out the play at 0:10 in the below video. When you can show that level of fluidity at that size and length, you are bordering on being unique in the NFL.

Ezekiel Ansah vs Idaho 2012 - YouTube

4. Bearing in mind how far he's come in just over one year, NFL DL coaches will be absolutely salivating at the prospect of getting him on their team.

5. I don't know how many batted balls he has but he can't be that far behind JJ Watt, and Watts' have been real difference makers. Also, long arms help force fumbles with players like Ansah or Chandler Jones reaching over blockers to swat the ball out of the QB's hands.

6. Considering all the attention he's had to date from NFL teams and the fact that he'll likely interview well, some team will fall in love with him.

7. He's not scheme specific, could be equally comfortable in a 3-4 or 4-3.

8. 4.79 40
34.5" vert
6.83 shuttle.

Those are Melvin Ingram's combine numbers. Ansah is being talked of as 4.6 40 and 39" vert. Ingram had 31" arms, Ansah looks more like he has Chandler Jones arms.

9. This time last year, Bruce Irvin was a 3rd rounder, Mclellin a 4th, Chandler Jones a 2-3rd and Melvin Ingram a 2nd. Ansah's stock is already on the up and up, I just don't see the momentum slowing when all that's left for him is Senior Bowl, combine and interviews (presuming he lives up to expectations in those).

10. 7 of the players you listed are juniors. 17 of Rob Rang's top 32 are juniors. If he's at 31 now, almost by default he'll move up once declarations are made/not made.

Anyways, thought I'd just shoot from the top of my head. To be honest, I'm starting to wonder whether top 15 might be too conservative. Rather than worrying about whether we should be drafting him, perhaps we should start worrying about the Jets getting him.

Edit: Of course it isn't a foregone conclusion, I'm only making a prediction based upon my very limited experience with the draft. Manxman being wrong would not be the shock of the century :)

Last edited:
Finally a site getting a good number of scouting reports in:

Beyond The Combine

Here's Ansah:

#47 Ezekiel Ansah, DE BYU

HGT: 6-5 WGT: 270

Ezekiel Ansah, is a very intriguing prospect with freakish athleticism and a prototypical frame, that did not start playing football until 2010. Ansah initially ran track at BYU and posted times of 10.9 in the 100 meter and 21.9 in the 200 meter, which are impressive for an athlete his size. Just last spring his coaches questioned if concepts of scheme and technique were clicking for him, but through fall camp and the 2012 season, Ansah has shown it has not only clicked, but it is rolling! Ansah is now a guy that coaches from opposing teams circle on scouting reports and stress the importance of knowing where Ansah lines up every snap.

PROS:

Has the size, speed and over-all athleticism to be a top 10 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Shows a good 1st step and excellent agility. Plays with good pad level for a guy his size. Ansah plays with good overall strength most of the time. He has really long arms and uses his upper body strength to deliver a solid blow on blockers. Ansah shows the ability to create separation and disengage off of blocks really well. Very versatile, in that he takes snaps lined up at DE, DT and OLB and is productive from all of those positions. On film Ansah is relentless in his pursuit of running down Quarterbacks and running backs in space. Does a great job of batting down balls at the line of scrimmage. For a guy that has only played football for 2 years, seems to have really good natural instincts.

CONS:

At times, Ansah gets pushed off the ball at the point of attack. If he doesn’t initiate the blow he allows blockers in to his chest. Can not hold up against double teams, gets pushed back or gap gets collapsed. Would like to see more lower body strength which will help him both at the point of attack in one on one situations and vs the double team. Needs to add just a little bulk.

NOTES:

Ezekiel Ansah has tremendous upside. He possesses the athleticism and intangibles needed to be a top-tier Draft prospect. BYU uses Ansah in many different ways which will help his draft stock in April. I have noticed every week that Ansah gotten better and better, which is very pleasing to see. I spoke to one Pac-12 coach who told me “Ansah is an absolute freak, our guys up front could not block him and our skill positions could not run away from him, his name will be called early in the draft!”

Phew. I'm not the only one :)

In the post two above, I made reference to potential Jarvis Jones injury red flag. Rob Stanton at Seahawks Draft Blog goes into much greater depth on this. Jones has a mild case of spinal stenosis. Rob Stanton highlights the careers of others with the same issue:

Cooper Manning – older brother of Peyton and Eli – was diagnosed with the condition in 1992. It ended his career. Archie Manning had both other brothers tested immediately afterwards due to the severity of the issue. Neither had the condition.

- Michael Irvin retired in 1999 after receiving advice from doctors. He was diagnosed with spinal stenosis after suffering a non-life-threatening spinal injury in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles. The injury cut short a Hall of Fame career.

- Marcus McNeill was diagnosed with the condition prior to the 2006 NFL draft and it forced his fall into round two. One of the most talented offensive lineman to enter the league in recent memory was the seventh tackle to leave the board that year. At the age of just 28 he has been forced to retire, despite signing a six-year, $49 million with the Chargers after an impressive start to his pro career.

- Chris Samuels was the #3 overall pick in 2000, having built a reputation blocking for Shaun Alexander at Alabama. He spent nine years with the Washington Redskins before retiring aged 32. The reason? Samuels suffered temporary upper-body paralysis after a big hit in pass protection against the Carolina Panthers in 2009. The issue was blamed on spinal stenosis, a condition he was diagnosed with as a child. He was advised to cease playing immediately.

- Speculation suggested Rob Gronkowski had spinal stenosis after a series of back problems during his college career in Arizona. Agent Drew Rosenhaus was forced to deny the reports from NFLDraftScout.com prior to the 2010 draft. There were fears the talk could further push Gronkowski’s stock down the board, with lingering concerns over his back already leading to a second round fall.

Potentially scary, particularly for him of course, but if you were a team picking high first round, I wonder what your confidence level would be. He'll be seeing a lot of Team Doctor's offices I suspect.

How will spinal stenosis impact Jarvis Jones’ draft stock? « Seahawks Draft Blog

Since I don't watch a lick of college football, these type of threads are very helpful to me. Thanks.

Finally a site getting a good number of scouting reports in:

Beyond The Combine

Here's Ansah:

Phew. I'm not the only one :)

"Very early in the draft" doesn't necessarily mean top 10. And now top 15 has become top 10. It will be top 5 soon. But we'll see. It will be whatever it will be.

There is a tendency to get fixated and obsessed with draft prospects. That happens to teams too, and then they reach. Some buy into the media hype. Remember 2009, when it would have been incredible if we could have gotten Aaron Curry, and there was draft day speculation about the Pats trading up to #8 with Jacksonville (something BB later said was total hogwash)? Curry's never done much. In 2010 people coveted Ndamukong Suh, who was obviously out of reach. Suh's a great talent, but he's never really lived up to his potential and has been inconsistent.

Ansah may be a top 10-15 physical talent, but personally I think it would be absurd to use a top 10-15 pick on him, at least at this time. Now it's possible that may change in the next few months - Jason Pierre-Paul and JJ Watt are 2 examples of guys with freakish ability who's game evolved so quickly that they merited their top 15 selection by the time the draft rolled around. But Ansah may be a tricky prospect to evaluate. It will be interesting to see where he does end up.

Personally, he's at the top of my list for the Pats right now at the end of round 1 along with Sheldon Richardson if he lasts that long, but if he's gone sooner, there are other fish in the sea.

If he falls into range for them, I can see the Giants being all over Ansah.

If he develops like everyone thinks he will, him & JPP on the same line...:eek:

I've been fearing exactly that for weeks now.

The more i think about it, the more i want them to go offense this year. Actually what i would love is another 1st next year so we can grab a DE.
If somehow they manage to grab an OL, a WR and someone for the defense in the first 3 rounds i'll be happy.

The more i think about it, the more i want them to go offense this year. Actually what i would love is another 1st next year so we can grab a DE.
If somehow they manage to grab an OL, a WR and someone for the defense in the first 3 rounds i'll be happy.

Agreed. That's what I have in my mock.

Why would you prefer another 1st in 2014 to grab a DE? The DE class this year is quite solid. Why not grab one now? Is there someone specific you think will be coming out in 2014? I could understand wanting someone like Stephon Tuitt, though I doubt he'll be within range, even if we traded away our 2013 1st.

Why would you prefer another 1st in 2014 to grab a DE? The DE class this year is quite solid. Why not grab one now? Is there someone specific you think will be coming out in 2014? I could understand wanting someone like Stephon Tuitt, though I doubt he'll be within range, even if we traded away our 2013 1st.

Solid but not as good as the 2014 imo. And thats exactly why i want anoter 1st, see if they can move up enough. I know its a gamble but i like the 2014 draft class.

Ok, im gonna reveal my dream:Aaron Lynch.

Marcus Lucas should be on the radar for next year; very tall WR, fairly fast, usually has solid hands and finds ways to get open.

His HS recruiting profile on Yahoo compares his size to AJ Green but "a little bit taller".

There is a chance he comes out this year with him being a junior.

With a bit of clever draft day trading the Patriots could probably get an extra first rounder next year and still pick up someone like Carradine this year.

From the OP:

Priorities:

1. Fix the secondary

The Next 6 Months:

1. Trade Patrick Chung to Tampa Bay for CB Aqib Talib; alternatively, the Pats might trade a 2014 draft pick for Talib and use Chung as a hybrid S/LB this year
2. Move Devin McCourty to FS and team him with Tavon Wilson, with Steve Gregory/Nate Ebner as backups
5. Sign Aqib Talib to a long term deal if he works out, or sign UFA CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Philadelphia). Brent Grimes (Atlanta) is a possibility, but he's coming off an Achilles injury, and we've already been burned with Jonathan Fanene and injured UFAs. If the Pats are unable to trade for Talib by the deadline, then they can just go after one of these guys during FA in 2013

So far:

- Pats trade for Talib, who is settling in nicely, and so far loves being a Patriot. It's early yet, but so far so good.
- McCourty moved to FS. Reports today that McCourty will stay at FS for the rest of the year:

McCourty to stay at safety for rest of season - Extra Points - Boston.com

- Pat Chung a healthy scratch, twittering during the game, and apparently on the outs
- Kyle Arrington replaced by Alfonzo Dennard, who looks to be solidifying himself as the other starting CB opposite Talib

Improving the secondary seems to be coming together.

From the OP:

So far:

- Pats trade for Talib, who is settling in nicely, and so far loves being a Patriot. It's early yet, but so far so good.
- McCourty moved to FS. Reports today that McCourty will stay at FS for the rest of the year:

McCourty to stay at safety for rest of season - Extra Points - Boston.com

- Pat Chung a healthy scratch, twittering during the game, and apparently on the outs
- Kyle Arrington replaced by Alfonzo Dennard, who looks to be solidifying himself as the other starting CB opposite Talib

Improving the secondary seems to be coming together.

Assuming the secondary continues to improve how that change your approach the offseason/draft?

Assuming the secondary continues to improve how that change your approach the offseason/draft?

I was going to wait a few games and see how/if the secondary was continuing to improve before addressing that.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back