PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint For the Pats

Lets see how the Talib/Dennard/Mccourty trio plays the rest of the year but i really liked what i saw.

If this 3 come along like we expect them to, we will still need a safety and corner but i hope they take a long look at the LB position. We need someone with speed.

Last edited:
Lets see how the Talib/Dennard/Mccourty trio plays the rest of the year but i really liked what i saw.

If this 3 come along like we expect them to, we will still need a safety and corner but i hope they take a long look at the LB position. We need someone with speed.

Would we. Sounds like McCourty has been given the safety spot the rest of the year so the Pats obviously like him there. If Talib re-signs and Dennard progresses, then at best we are only looking at needing depth for the secondary:

S: McCourty
Wilson
Gregory
A.N. Other

CB: Talib
Dennard
Dowling

And that's assuming we don't re-sign Chung and Arrington. I can see a need for another good CB because Dowling can't be relied upon, but I really don't see a need to draft a S high if this is how things pan out.

I think it is safe to assume that Talib is going to resign. The response to the question looked really genuine saying he'd love to stay. That leaves the 2nd Safety spot and the Nickel Corner up for grabs, Maybe Wilson is ready for that 2nd Safety spot in his second year. I'd keep Dowling, but I wouldn't rely on him. His Talent is unquestionable, but hasn't been able to stay on the field. Tyrann Mathieu seems to have made the good decision (for once) to stay away from Baton Rouge, maybe we take a chance on his as the Nickel Corner. Getting out of that environment could be just what he needs.

I think it is safe to assume that Talib is going to resign. The response to the question looked really genuine saying he'd love to stay. That leaves the 2nd Safety spot and the Nickel Corner up for grabs, Maybe Wilson is ready for that 2nd Safety spot in his second year. I'd keep Dowling, but I wouldn't rely on him. His Talent is unquestionable, but hasn't been able to stay on the field. Tyrann Mathieu seems to have made the good decision (for once) to stay away from Baton Rouge, maybe we take a chance on his as the Nickel Corner. Getting out of that environment could be just what he needs.

Talib, Dennard, Mathieu and Glass-IR is serious potential for implosion. I'd like at least one CB that could be relied upon not to be banned, arrested or IR-ed for the season.

And who's to say Arrington won't be re-signed. Will likely be cheap and BB really likes him. Actually thought he played quite well after the 1st quarter yesterday in a more limited role.

Agreed. Altough a guy like Elam along with those 3 would be nice :D

We'll see, maybe Wilson develops well.

A corner is still a big need imo, i dont think we need a stud but a reliable guy, ie, i hope i dont have to see Arrington in a pats uniform ever again

Talib, Dennard, Mathieu and Glass-IR is serious potential for implosion. I'd like at least one CB that could be relied upon not to be banned, arrested or IR-ed for the season.

And who's to say Arrington won't be re-signed. Will likely be cheap and BB really likes him. Actually thought he played quite well after the 1st quarter yesterday in a more limited role.

You have to admit that that secondary would play with swagger.

WOW Mayo. Talk about being prescient. Not only did you call the trade for Talib, you called the draft pick. Kudos for that. The rest of your "grand plan" is following nicely as well. McCourty seems heading toward a permanent place at S, Dennard at the 2nd outside CB, with Chung and Arrington headed out the door. The Powerball is tomorrow and I need some help with my numbers. :D

However assuming Talib can be resigned for reasonable money (and what would that be btw?), Dowling can return both healthy and effective, and Dennard's maturation continues on pace. I still feel the need to add another strong CB to the mix, preferably someone with some experience and size.

As to safety, if McCourty stays and flourishes at the FS positon, I think he makes Gregory redundant as a starter. The problem I have with a safety combo of Wilson, Gregory, and McCourty is size. We really need a big thumper back in the secondary, but someone who is more than "just" a SS.

Supposedly, because so many good safety prospects went back to school last year, this year is supposed to be especially deep at the Safety positon. Who are the guys who could be that "thumper' for us.

BTW- I'd be against drafting an offensive lineman during the first 2 days. Between Solder, Volmer (assuming he's resigjned) Cannon, McDonald, Wendell, and Thomas, we already have a nice young group of offensive linemen to go along with seasoned vets that we've already committed to in Mankins and Connolly. That's 8 guys right there already, and that's before you see who might be there in FA and the rest of the young guys currently in Dante's Academy for extra large ballerinas. Using a pick that high on the OL would be a luxury we can't afford imho.

No Mayo, the only offensive position that merits a pick in the first 2 days is a WR, preferably someone over 6'3. I like your idea of a mini-speedster, but I thought that was what Jeff Demps is for. We desperately need to radially improve the age demographic at WR. So I'd be willing to use a pick in the first 3 round on a WR. The rest of those first picks in the first 2 days need to keep on going to the defense. Ideally at S and the DL. As far as day 3 goes....anything goes. Go for the "BPA", I don't care about the position. They are all just shots in the dark anyway.

Last draft the Pats did a fantastic job getting 3 guys who play major roles on the regular defense at the top of the draft and 2 guys at the bottom of the draft, one who starts and another who has a major role on multiple special teams. Plus a 6th guy who looks like he's on a red shirt year. That should be the goal. Finding 5 guys who can find roles immediately, and can ultimately turn into at least 3 starters within 3 years.

BB has successfully rebuilt this team to finish out the Brady era. Major reconstruction is over. For the next few years what is necessary is doing the finish work. Numbers in the draft aren't the big thing now. Upgrading and finding playmakers are. What The long term planing BB should be thinking about is slowly over time building up his draft numbers so in 4 or 5 years when he has to start "reconstruction" again, he will have the 10-12 picks for 3 years to do it on the fly again.

BTW-the #1 goal for me isn't to find that DE to pair opposite Jones, rather its to find the interior pass rushing DT. IMHO the premium need for EVERY team in the NFL is the interior guy who can push the pocket. With all the 3 step drops, shotgun formations, and spread formations the ball is coming out of the QB's hands faster than ever. Its making it harder and harder for an edge rusher, even a great one, to make a difference. Just look at what the Pats did to Freeney and Mathis.

No what hurts the Pats is the team that can create pressure up the middle, doesn't let the QB step up, makes him feel uncomfortable right away. THAT's the guy I want, but unfortunately its the guy EVERYONE wants. Find me THAT guy Mayo....and make it so he'll be available after the 30th pick in the draft.

Last edited:
WOW Mayo. Talk about being prescient. Not only did you call the trade for Talib, you called the draft pick. Kudos for that. The rest of your "grand plan" is following nicely as well. McCourty seems heading toward a permanent place at S, Dennard at the 2nd outside CB, with Chung and Arrington headed out the door. The Powerball is tomorrow and I need some help with my numbers. :D

However assuming Talib can be resigned for reasonable money (and what would that be btw?), Dowling can return both healthy and effective, and Dennard's maturation continues on pace. I still feel the need to add another strong CB to the mix, preferably someone with some experience and size.

As to safety, if McCourty stays and flourishes at the FS positon, I think he makes Gregory redundant as a starter. The problem I have with a safety combo of Wilson, Gregory, and McCourty is size. We really need a big thumper back in the secondary, but someone who is more than "just" a SS.

Supposedly, because so many good safety prospects went back to school last year, this year is supposed to be especially deep at the Safety positon. Who are the guys who could be that "thumper' for us.

Ken, I'm only going to address your comments on the secondary here. I'll address the other stuff separately.

CB

Let's start with the CB position. I believe that you need at least 3 good press-man CBs plus depth at the dime/ST. The options on the roster right now include:

- Aqib Talib. The best CB on the roster, asusming McCourt's move to FS is permanent, as it appears to be. Assuming he stays clean, he needs to be signed long term. So far he's shown an ability to pick things up quickly, an eagerness to fit in, and a nice work ethic. He seems to crave being accepted. It may all be a false front, but I'm betting that with a strong team structure he'll be able to stay relatively clean. What will it take to keep him? I'm guessing somewhere between the $24M/4 years ($6M/year) that we gave Leigh Bodden in 2010 and the roughly $50M/5 years ($10M/year) that Brandon Carr and Cortland Finnegan got this year, depending on how he does over the rest of the season. His history will obviously weigh against him, but if he performs well and the Pats secondary improves markedly it will improve his market value. Good CBs don't come cheap.

- Alfonzo Dennard. Need to keep him at outside CB IMHO and develop him. If we had a veteran outside CB he could move to the slot, but he has good skills and tenacity. He's been compared in style to a young Charles Tillman. I'm sure he'll have some bumps, but I'm willing to stick with him. Except for the bar fight, he's never had a character issue.

- Ras-I Dowling. Would be a great guy opposite Talib if he could stay healthy and develop, but he's on IR for the 2nd straight year and is a huge question mark. The coaching staff and FO needs to seriously evaluate him this offseason in deciding whether to pursue another veteran or rookie CB.

- Marquice Cole. Great STer, good dime. Could he be more? He's shown flashes.

- Kyle Arrington. Had 8 INTs last year, deteriorated big time this year. Has been a major liability. Is in a contract year. Is there a role for him, and can he be kept at a reasonable price?

- Sterling Moore. On the PS, could be a cheap alternative to Arrington.

I think there's room for another CB in there, but a lot depends on the long term outlook for Talib and Dowling. If Talib is extended and the coaching staff still believes in Dowling, a major investment may not be warranted. I know that most fans don't have much confidence in Dowling right now, but we don't know the details of his injury situation, why the team chose to shut him down for the season, or what his long term prognosis is.

There may be some decent FAs available in addition to re-signing Talib: DRC, Brent Grimes. But the market cost may be prohibitive.

Safety

Unlike you, I'm not particularly interested in the "big thumper". I think those guys are Dinosaurs in today's NFL. Hyrbid CB/S and coverage LB's have a role, but the big thumper S really doesn't fit. Coverage guys who can lay the lumber - now that's a different story.

I've never seen Steve Gregory as a starter. He's a white James Sanders, perhaps with a bit more coverage ability (but not much more). Good utility man, but not a starter under any stretch of the imagination. Nate Ebner is a developmetnal guy and STer. So the question is whether Tavon Wilson is likely to grow into a bona fide starter opposite Devin McCourty, or whether he will be a situational player. If the former, the Pats are fine at the safety position. If the latter, the Pats should probably jettison Gregory and go after either a veteran safety in FA (Goldson, Byrd, Reed) or an impact rookie (Elam). I personally don't favor more youth in the secondary, as I think we've had enough young players, and need some experience. I'd love to pair McCourty with someone like Dahson Goldson, but I just don't see him hitting FA, and the cost of keeping Talib and getting Goldson would be prohibitive.

Mayo

Like you, I'm a fan of McCourty at safety but I'm seriously intrigued by Amerson at safety with McCourty moving back to CB in partnership with Talib and Dennard at slot.

There are some things not to like about Amerson - he's not the quickest, relies too much on his ballhawking and isn't the greatest tackler. But...

I just can't get past the fact that he's a 6'3" ballhawk. I'm not saying he's the next Ed Reed, but he could have a similar impact on our defense and that is very appealing. I'm not in the place where I'd mock it, and the chances are, after his poor season he'll return for his senior year but for a team that values the turnover so much, one would have to think that BB too would be intrigued, especially considering how much more valuable he becomes the further he falls.

So:

Option A: CB - Talib, Dennard; S - McCourty, Wilson

Option B: CB - McCourty, Talib; S - Amerson, Wilson

Option B is appealing.

Do you trust McCourty in man coverage in that scenario? One of my favorite things about McCourty at FS other than all of the stuff he does well is that it means he doesn't have to play man coverage against WRs.

Last edited:
Mayo

Like you, I'm a fan of McCourty at safety but I'm seriously intrigued by Amerson at safety with McCourty moving back to CB in partnership with Talib and Dennard at slot.

There are some things not to like about Amerson - he's not the quickest, relies too much on his ballhawking and isn't the greatest tackler. But...

I just can't get past the fact that he's a 6'3" ballhawk. I'm not saying he's the next Ed Reed, but he could have a similar impact on our defense and that is very appealing. I'm not in the place where I'd mock it, and the chances are, after his poor season he'll return for his senior year but for a team that values the turnover so much, one would have to think that BB too would be intrigued, especially considering how much more valuable he becomes the further he falls.

So:

Option B is appealing.

Option C: CB - Talib, Dennard; S - Amerson, McCourty

Would keep Wilson at Dime, plus hes more FS then SS, but so is Amerson. Then add Mathieu. Amerson could be a second day pick and Mathieu a late. Would give us a insane ballhawking secundary - Yes ppl who takes risks, but if it gives 1-2 INT each game it could be worth it, going alone with the offense.

Do you trust McCourty in man coverage in that scenario? One of my favorite things about McCourty at FS other than all of the stuff he does well is that it means he doesn't have to play man coverage against WRs.

Well we weren't exclusively in man last night. Am I right in thinking that both pick-6's came when in zone. I'm OK with Dennard at CB and McCourty at S, but I just think that against a top QB or when the game is on the line, I might be happier with McCourty at CB rather than Dennard.

But then memories of the Ravens game flash before me and option A looks a whole lot more desirable.

I have a question for you actually. At the Footballs Future forum, you responded to a guy who said that the Pats liked Markus Wheaton saying that he usually had good info. Were you serious or just kidding?

I have a question for you actually. At the Footballs Future forum, you responded to a guy who said that the Pats liked Markus Wheaton saying that he usually had good info. Were you serious or just kidding?
Yeah, one of the mods there is looking to get into sports media and apparently has some kind of source with the Pats. Apparently the Pats went to games to scout James Rodgers last year, and instead came away liking Wheaton.

Yeah, one of the mods there is looking to get into sports media and apparently has some kind of source with the Pats. Apparently the Pats went to games to scout James Rodgers last year, and instead came away liking Wheaton.

I can see why. He's one of my faves too. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mayo

So:

Option B is appealing.

Manx,

While I agree that Amerson may be better suited to safety than to CB and good be a very good FS, I'm probably not in favor of your scenario for a couple of reasons:

1. It would put McCourty back at CB, and I like him at FS because of his vision, ball skills, unselfishness and leadership. We've needed a "leader" in the secondary since Rodney, and that guy is more likely to be a FS than a CB. McCourty has all of the intangibles. I'm not sure that Amerson does, and he's just a rookie.

2. I really want us to play mainly press-man with a cover-1 safety, and McCourty is just not the best man coverage CB.

3. Amerson would probably require a top 50 pick, maybe a 1st round pick, and I just don't want to keep spending that kind of capital on DBs. I just feel that we have enough youth in the secondary.

4. I've had enough juggling of positions in the secondary, and if McCourty works out at FS I don't want to keep moving him back and forth. We need continuity. Keep him at FS and develop a 3rd CB to complement Talib and Dennard.

Now I would be much more intrigued by the idea of Amerson AND McCourty at safety in the same backfield, because I believe that the future of the NFL is to have 2 safeties with CB-like skills and coverage ability - "raptors", as I termed them. Let McCourty stay as the deep FS and the QB of the secondary, let Amerson upgrade Gregory, and keep Wilson as a complementary safety with less range. I like that group a lot. But it still requires using a fairly high draft pick on a DB, and I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that high a pick on one.

But hypothetically speaking, if you were going to pick one, would you rather complement McCourty with a classic safety with great instincts and ball skills like Matt Elam, or a CB/S hybrid with great height and range like Amerson? Interesting question.

Option C: CB - Talib, Dennard; S - Amerson, McCourty

Would keep Wilson at Dime, plus hes more FS then SS, but so is Amerson. Then add Mathieu. Amerson could be a second day pick and Mathieu a late. Would give us a insane ballhawking secundary - Yes ppl who takes risks, but if it gives 1-2 INT each game it could be worth it, going alone with the offense.

Yup, that's a great secondary:

CB: Talib, Dennard, Dowling, Mathieu
S: McCourty, Amerson, Wilson, Gregory/Ebner

But I still don't know if I would spend the draft capital it would take to get Amerson. In the OP I suggested getting his battery mate at NC State Dontae Johnson instead, who I think would be terrific. Johnson played FS for NC State last year before being moved to boundary CB this year. He's only a junior and may not declare.

Manx,

While I agree that Amerson may be better suited to safety than to CB and good be a very good FS, I'm probably not in favor of your scenario for a couple of reasons:

1. It would put McCourty back at CB, and I like him at FS because of his vision, ball skills, unselfishness and leadership. We've needed a "leader" in the secondary since Rodney, and that guy is more likely to be a FS than a CB. McCourty has all of the intangibles. I'm not sure that Amerson does, and he's just a rookie.

2. I really want us to play mainly press-man with a cover-1 safety, and McCourty is just not the best man coverage CB.

3. Amerson would probably require a top 50 pick, maybe a 1st round pick, and I just don't want to keep spending that kind of capital on DBs. I just feel that we have enough youth in the secondary.

4. I've had enough juggling of positions in the secondary, and if McCourty works out at FS I don't want to keep moving him back and forth. We need continuity. Keep him at FS and develop a 3rd CB to complement Talib and Dennard.

Now I would be much more intrigued by the idea of Amerson AND McCourty at safety in the same backfield, because I believe that the future of the NFL is to have 2 safeties with CB-like skills and coverage ability - "raptors", as I termed them. Let McCourty stay as the deep FS and the QB of the secondary, let Amerson upgrade Gregory, and keep Wilson as a complementary safety with less range. I like that group a lot. But it still requires using a fairly high draft pick on a DB, and I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that high a pick on one.

But hypothetically speaking, if you were going to pick one, would you rather complement McCourty with a classic safety with great instincts and ball skills like Matt Elam, or a CB/S hybrid with great height and range like Amerson? Interesting question.

I'm pretty much in agreeance with you on McCourty at safety and I'd far rather use my first pick on Cooper, Ansah, Williams x2 or Carradine, but he's 6'3" goddamnit!

BTW- I'd be against drafting an offensive lineman during the first 2 days. Between Solder, Volmer (assuming he's resigjned) Cannon, McDonald, Wendell, and Thomas, we already have a nice young group of offensive linemen to go along with seasoned vets that we've already committed to in Mankins and Connolly. That's 8 guys right there already, and that's before you see who might be there in FA and the rest of the young guys currently in Dante's Academy for extra large ballerinas. Using a pick that high on the OL would be a luxury we can't afford imho.

I'm mostly with you. My priority is mainly on the defensive line and continuing to build dominance. Chandler Jones was a great start. I want a stud LDE and/or interior pass rusher to build a truly dominant defensive line, the kind the Giants used to win 2 Super Bowls. I agree that we have some good young talent on the interior offensive line, including possibly 2 guys you haven't mentioned - Mitch Petrus and Markus Zusevics, both of whom are long shots but who have potential and could surprise. With Scar's track record I think there's a good chance that we'll be ok, and I think there will be some good talents available day 2 and 3. I would probably take an interior lineman in the 3rd round and possibly late 2nd.

I do disagree with you a little bit, on 2 counts: first, I think that the offensive line is one of the key parts of the team and interior offensive line is just as important as tackle, so I have no problem spending a top pick in that area if the value is there; and second, I'm all about value in the draft. So if the best value where we draft happens to be an interior offensive lineman such as Jonathan Cooper, for example, I'm ok with it. I doubt that will turn out to be the case given the depth at DE and DT in this draft, but it's possible.

No Mayo, the only offensive position that merits a pick in the first 2 days is a WR, preferably someone over 6'3. I like your idea of a mini-speedster, but I thought that was what Jeff Demps is for. We desperately need to radially improve the age demographic at WR. So I'd be willing to use a pick in the first 3 round on a WR. The rest of those first picks in the first 2 days need to keep on going to the defense. Ideally at S and the DL. As far as day 3 goes....anything goes. Go for the "BPA", I don't care about the position. They are all just shots in the dark anyway.

As I've stated many times, I'm never a fan of taking a WR in the 1st round, and almost never in the 2nd. I think there are almost always good values later on. I like Tavon Austin, Cordarelle Patterson and Da'Rick Rodgers, but all 3 will almost certainly go in the first 2 rounds, and we no longer have the luxury of double picks. A lot depends on what happens with Welker, Edelman and Salas, but I'm hoping to wait until at least round 3 and possibly day 3 to address the WR position.

Last draft the Pats did a fantastic job getting 3 guys who play major roles on the regular defense at the top of the draft and 2 guys at the bottom of the draft, one who starts and another who has a major role on multiple special teams. Plus a 6th guy who looks like he's on a red shirt year. That should be the goal. Finding 5 guys who can find roles immediately, and can ultimately turn into at least 3 starters within 3 years.

BB has successfully rebuilt this team to finish out the Brady era. Major reconstruction is over. For the next few years what is necessary is doing the finish work. Numbers in the draft aren't the big thing now. Upgrading and finding playmakers are. What The long term planing BB should be thinking about is slowly over time building up his draft numbers so in 4 or 5 years when he has to start "reconstruction" again, he will have the 10-12 picks for 3 years to do it on the fly again.

BTW-the #1 goal for me isn't to find that DE to pair opposite Jones, rather its to find the interior pass rushing DT. IMHO the premium need for EVERY team in the NFL is the interior guy who can push the pocket. With all the 3 step drops, shotgun formations, and spread formations the ball is coming out of the QB's hands faster than ever. Its making it harder and harder for an edge rusher, even a great one, to make a difference. Just look at what the Pats did to Freeney and Mathis.

No what hurts the Pats is the team that can create pressure up the middle, doesn't let the QB step up, makes him feel uncomfortable right away. THAT's the guy I want, but unfortunately its the guy EVERYONE wants. Find me THAT guy Mayo....and make it so he'll be available after the 30th pick in the draft.

OTG and I have argued for the "inside out" approach to team building for a long time, which includes inside pressure over outside pressure. But consistent internal pass rushers are very rare commodities. Look at Suh. Sheldon Richardson may be the most likely guy to meet your requirement but (1) he would be available past 30 and (2) he has some significant baggage (attitude, motivation and not very bright - doesn't seem like a BB kind of player).

I'm pretty much in agreeance with you on McCourty at safety and I'd far rather use my first pick on Cooper, Ansah, Williams x2 or Carradine, but he's 6'3" goddamnit!

6'3" rangy FS's are very appealing. My plan last year was to take 6'3" 217# Brandon Hardin on day 3 of the draft. 4.43 40, 1.52 10 yard split, 6.88 3-cone, 35.5" vertical. Projected as a late round pick. Then the damn Bears took him in the mid 3rd round (#79 overall). He was reportedly playing well enough in the preseason to be on his way to earning a starting job with the Bears before sustaining a neck injury that ended his season.

6'3" rangy FS's are very appealing. My plan last year was to take 6'3" 217# Brandon Hardin on day 3 of the draft. 4.43 40, 1.52 10 yard split, 6.88 3-cone, 35.5" vertical. Projected as a late round pick. Then the damn Bears took him in the mid 3rd round (#79 overall). He was reportedly playing well enough in the preseason to be on his way to earning a starting job with the Bears before sustaining a neck injury that ended his season.

What about Phillip Thomas SS from Fresno State? Only 6.1 but some talk about him as the next Earl Thomas... If thats the case im in! Even to I doubt he got the same speed.

Another could be Chris Jones Bowling Green as DT? The guy's been pretty productive his entire career, like 146 tackles, 43 TFL, and 27 sacks or so for an interior lineman is impressive.

Both comes from small places with limited video to scout from and questions regarding compatition, but for middle to late picks with upside?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back