PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MVP Race is a toss up between Brady, Ryan, Rodgers and Elliott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derek Carr wired for sound offers unreal heartbreak

I just saw Carr's sound fx. If he's healthy I would award him the mvp. This kid is legit. He has the arm, brains and intangibles . Carr is gonna dominate the AFC when Brady and Big Ben retire. Hopefully Jack Del Rio doesn't screw him up.

Wow.

In addition, Manning averaged only 266.7 yards per game in 2003 and 250.1 YPG in 2008. Brady is averaging 298 YPG.

Kurt Warner or Phillip Rivers could have been MVP in 2008 basing it purely on stats.

Derek Carr wired for sound offers unreal heartbreak

I just saw Carr's sound fx. If he's healthy I would award him the mvp. This kid is legit. He has the arm, brains and intangibles . Carr is gonna dominate the AFC when Brady and Big Ben retire. Hopefully Jack Del Rio doesn't screw him up.

Did Carr not scream in pain when he broke his leg or did they just cut it out of the soundfx?

Did Carr not scream in pain when he broke his leg or did they just cut it out of the soundfx?

Not sure. I remembered when my brother broke his arm. He said he didn't feel any pain until someone tried to move it. Not sure if it's the same thing here.

Wow.

In addition, Manning averaged only 266.7 yards per game in 2003 and 250.1 YPG in 2008. Brady is averaging 298 YPG.

Can't directly compare 2008 raw stats (let alone 2003 ones!) to 2016. Game has changed too much. Normalize them to each year's league averages and then we'll talk.

Can't directly compare 2008 raw stats (let alone 2003 ones!) to 2016. Game has changed too much. Normalize them to each year's league averages and then we'll talk.

Yeah it's like when these fools bring up Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikmans passer rating and compare them to todays guys, you have to compare it to the other guys who played that year.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Matt Ryan Is the 2016 NFL MVP

This is a fantastic breakdown of why Ryan deserves the MVP award.... I don't agree with everything Scott Kascmar argues, but it's nice, historical assessment of what he's accomplished, and how it compares to other MVP-worthy candidates

Here are the things that stand out to me (a few of which have already been mentioned:
  • Matt Ryan's Falcons lead the NFL in scoring (502 points), rank first in offensive DVOA (24.8%), and average a league-best 3.01 points per drive.
  • Ryan has achieved all this, against what has been the hardest schedule for any offense in 2016. He has played in Seattle, Denver, and Philadelphia (three of the year's best defenses) and has played seven games against defenses currently ranked in the top 10 in DVOA.
  • And he's achieved this, with little to no support from the Falcons defense, which is currently ranked 27th in DVOA and 25th in points per drive allowed. The 2016 Falcons have already tied the 2000 Rams for the most wins in a season (five) in games where they allowed at least 28 points. Ryan has had to overcome a bad defense and four blown fourth-quarter leads to get to this point, a potential No. 2 seed and first-round bye in the NFC playoffs.

Last edited:
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Matt Ryan Is the 2016 NFL MVP

This is a fantastic breakdown of why Ryan deserves the MVP award.... I don't agree with everything Scott Kascmar argues, but it's nice, historical assessment of what he's accomplished, and how it compares to other MVP-worthy candidates

One of the things that hurts Brady in these comparisons is that he is completely focused on winning games, not on padding his personal statistics. Think of the kneel-downs within the 10-yard line to end games; think of handing the ball to Blount to finish the drive instead of throwing for a Peyton-type TD; think of Brady being ultra-careful with the ball and simply throwing it away instead of throwing it up there for a jump-ball.

So an argument can at least be made that playing weaker teams has actually hurt Brady's personal statistics in some cases.

Brady is simply not going to be MVP here - the 4-game suspension is just too much to overcome. I think we should reconcile ourselves to that and agree we will happily accept Super Bowl MVP in its place.

This is a fantastic breakdown of why Ryan deserves the MVP award.... I don't agree with everything Scott Kascmar argues,
It's by Scott Kascmar. Throw it in the trash. Nothing he writes can be trusted (especially when Brady is involved). He's the king of dishonest cherry-picking. It's a disgrace that FO ever hired him and a bigger disgrace that they still employ him. (It's probably because of Schatz's pathetically desperate fear of being called a homer.)

Here are the things that stand out to me (a few of which have already been mentioned:
  • Matt Ryan's Falcons lead the NFL in scoring (502 points), rank first in offensive DVOA (24.8%), and average a league-best 3.01 points per drive.
  • Ryan has achieved all this, against what has been the hardest schedule for any offense in 2016. He has played in Seattle, Denver, and Philadelphia (three of the year's best defenses) and has played seven games against defenses currently ranked in the top 10 in DVOA.
  • And he's achieved this, with little to no support from the Falcons defense, which is currently ranked 27th in DVOA and 25th in points per drive allowed. The 2016 Falcons have already tied the 2000 Rams for the most wins in a season (five) in games where they allowed at least 28 points. Ryan has had to overcome a bad defense and four blown fourth-quarter leads to get to this point, a potential No. 2 seed and first-round bye in the NFC playoffs.
It should be no surprise that Kacsmar has put together that big of an argument against Brady, because he's been practicing his Brady-bashing for years now.

In particular, one main reason Brady didn't have any touchdowns against the Seahawks is because of two defensive penalties on passing plays that instead set up two Blount TDs from the 1. No rational person would try to use that against Brady, but Scott Kacsmar is not a rational person.

"The Falcons have played the toughest schedule of opposing defenses in football this season, making their raw points total even more impressive. They've played six top-10 pass defenses this season, including those of the Broncos, Seahawks, Cardinals, Chiefs and twice against the Buccaneers.

And he lost to those teams.

Yes he played three top defenses and lost to two of them.

The argument against Matt Ryan is his team is a mediocre 10-5 because he keeps losing to good teams.

To put that in perspective no QB in 14 years won an MVP with only 11 wins, and most were 13, 14, 15, or once 16 wins. The last person was Rich Gannon in 2002 when the Raiders went 11-5 which was the best record in the AFC and no team had more than 12 wins that year.

Half a dozen teams have better records than the Falcons, some not even division winners.

Like it or not, wins matter, because if your not valuable enough to win games, then what are you valuable for? Every QB but one (Gannon) for 20 years got wins and stats on the way to the MVP, so Ryan is a departure from that metric.

Last edited:
One of the things that hurts Brady in these comparisons is that he is completely focused on winning games, not on padding his personal statistics. Think of the kneel-downs within the 10-yard line to end games; think of handing the ball to Blount to finish the drive instead of throwing for a Peyton-type TD; think of Brady being ultra-careful with the ball and simply throwing it away instead of throwing it up there for a jump-ball.

So an argument can at least be made that playing weaker teams has actually hurt Brady's personal statistics in some cases.

Brady is simply not going to be MVP here - the 4-game suspension is just too much to overcome. I think we should reconcile ourselves to that and agree we will happily accept Super Bowl MVP in its place.

Well the NFL network analyst on a couple hours ago had Brady as his #1 for MVP. There is a lot of love for Brady for MVP this season. I think if he plays well against Miami and gets 3 or 4 TD's and no picks that might get him the votes.

This thread is everything from mental masturbation to an interesting intellectual discussion, but in the end......who cares? Not Tom Brady. He might have at one point in his career, but there is only ONE award that actually means anything and that's the Lombardi Trophy. And if you feel the need to throw a little "chocolate sauce" on top with an individual award, give him the game MVP, so he can give THAT truck away to a worthy party.

But, like I said, aside from having a little FU value to fling at Roger Goodell, this award isn't important enough to argue over., Just having Brady in the discussion for the entire season, has been saying FU to Goodell for the last 3 months. Plus I wouldn't mind an ADDITIONAL chip on that chip filled shoulder if they don't give it to him.

Bottom line there are several good candidates and everyone has some flaws you can point out. For me, Ryan's been a good QB on some bad teams, and has endured for a lot of years at the high end of the QB pool. If they have to give it to someone, give it to a guy who has been around a while and hasn't gotten one yet.

would be very surprised if brady doesnt win MVP. Media has been on that since the browns game.

The whole thing loses its credibility when rodgers is in consoderation. Ryan being in it is acceptable. I would have no beef with him winning it

Edit, his final stats are impressive, might throw 40TDs. but Voters should keep in mimd he wasnt the best player throughout the whole season.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
Brady wants to win the Super Bowl.That's what I want too. I do not give 2 and 1/2 shyts about some gaa gaa goony "look at me!!!" "MVP award. It's all mindless masturbatory bullshyt aimed at the fantasy geek generation of football morons. What the **** does being named "MVP" have to do with focusing on winning the playoffs and the Super Bowl? If you are a pinhead who thinks you are playing football to win personal dipshyt Peytie Pooch awards every season, then YOU are a certified IDIOT...and ultimately, a LOSER.

Brady will win the MVP....

The Super Bowl MVP.

I'd be happy if Ryan won the award, he's had a great season and he's a BC guy. Brady will get votes, partly as a finger in the eye to Goodell and partly because he's deserving; I don't think he'll win, though, the 4 games he missed will be too much in the eyes of enough voters. Wouldn't mind Zeke Elliot either.

I just don't want Rodgers to win. He was putrid the first half of the year and has racked up touchdown passes on a team with no running game. Plus he's on my screen constantly despite being a weird, charisma-less nerd, and by all accounts he's a completely unlikable guy who doesn't talk to his teammates and who cut his family out of his life unceremoniously.

It's by Scott Kascmar. Throw it in the trash. Nothing he writes can be trusted (especially when Brady is involved). He's the king of dishonest cherry-picking. It's a disgrace that FO ever hired him and a bigger disgrace that they still employ him. (It's probably because of Schatz's pathetically desperate fear of being called a homer.)
didnt he used to pitch for the rays...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand