PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MVP Race is a toss up between Brady, Ryan, Rodgers and Elliott

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't care about the MVP if Manning hadn't won 5, but in only 2-3 seasons he actually deserved it. Manning 2003 and 2008 seasons would be bad seasons by Brady standards, while in 2009 he was good but Brees was better.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but why is Rodgers there? He has been pretty pedestrian for a lot of this season.

Right now it is between Brady and Ryan and it will be determined by week 17. Brady has been more impactful than Ryan in the games played but Ryan has played more.
How has Brady been more impactful? Ryan has a better Cmp%, he has a higher passer rating, he has more yards/game, more yards/attempt, etc. By almost every metric he's been better. That's especially impressive because Ryan has has to sustain those numbers over four extra games.

Honestly I really don't see any case for Brady over Ryan, especially since the Pats went 3-1 without him. This is not an indictment on Tom, I just simply do not see an objective case that doesn't involve me finding some reason to vote for me favorite player.

Not sure why these threads always have to devolve into sour grapes responses like "who cares, give Ryan MVP, we're gonna win the Super Bowl".

Except that is you are going by the true "VALUE" comparison, the fact that you name two Cowboys actually ruins their case. If you truly have two MVP candidates, you probably could still win without one of them.
That's above my pay grade. But, I still think going 3--1 without him makes it tough to give it TB. Haven't there been co-MVP's in the past?

It's fine with me if either Ryan or Ezekiel wins it over Brady. Rodgers would be a joke. Let's just get the ring. We don't want the MVP jinx anyway!

Brady and Ryan could break some serious records this Sunday, depending on how well they play

In my eyes, I think Ryan and Brady are leading the MVP race

How has Brady been more impactful? Ryan has a better Cmp%, he has a higher passer rating, he has more yards/game, more yards/attempt, etc. By almost every metric he's been better. That's especially impressive because Ryan has has to sustain those numbers over four extra games.

Honestly I really don't see any case for Brady over Ryan, especially since the Pats went 3-1 without him. This is not an indictment on Tom, I just simply do not see an objective case that doesn't involve me finding some reason to vote for me favorite player.

Not sure why these threads always have to devolve into sour grapes responses like "who cares, give Ryan MVP, we're gonna win the Super Bowl".

IMO TD/Int ratio is the most important QB stat. Things like completion % and YPA are good but they are more effected by your system and your style of play and the players you have. The I don't care how fast you lead your team down there or if it always looks pretty. I care when you get down there do you score and do you turn the ball over. That is why I like TD/Int the best cause it shows both of those things pretty well.

However the TDs can be inflated due to if you pass on the goal line or run. Ints are more reliable as those tend to me more on the QB. Also just Brady has been better at the eye ball test.

How many yards and TDs has Brady thrown this year when trailing by a lot in garbage time against soft prevent defenses? None. That's why he is almost always the MVP. His numbers never get any padding, unlike 99% of the other QBs.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but why is Rodgers there? He has been pretty pedestrian for a lot of this season.

the media is pushing rodgers for mvp. just wait til SNF against the loser lions. michaels and collinsworthless are going to give aaron a 3 hour tongue bath!!

Ive been hearing alot of Brady is the MVP.. but I haven't watched ESPN. Curran likes Dak for MVP. I honestly don't care if Brady wins the MVP or not. Much like everything else in football these awards are team stats. You can't be MVP if you have a ****ty team.

the nfc (mvp) won last year, lets give it to the afc this year (brady) ;)

Wow.

In addition, Manning averaged only 266.7 yards per game in 2003 and 250.1 YPG in 2008. Brady is averaging 298 YPG.

Don't see how Ryan doesn't get it, guy's having a monster season--great numbers, and leading a team with a lousy defense to the #2 seed.

For the record though, I don't get how the Pats going 3-1 in his absence works against Brady. Does an excellent team have to become a .500 team, or worse, because their QB's out? With a lot of poorly managed teams in the league, I suppose so, but that's silly. As it is, the difference without Brady was still apparent, and measurable--a 3-1 record, or .750, translating to 12-4 for the season...and if we make one of those losses against Pittsburgh, say, the Pats aren't even the #2 seed and are playing the first week of the playoffs.

The 3-1 thing shouldn't hurt Brady at all, and he's having a great year. Just looks like the MVP should go to Ryan (and c'mon, he's a BC kid and seems like a nice guy. Good for him.)

Don't see how Ryan doesn't get it, guy's having a monster season--great numbers, and leading a team with a lousy defense to the #2 seed.

For the record though, I don't get how the Pats going 3-1 in his absence works against Brady. Does an excellent team have to become a .500 team, or worse, because their QB's out? With a lot of poorly managed teams in the league, I suppose so, but that's silly. As it is, the difference without Brady was still apparent, and measurable--a 3-1 record, or .750, translating to 12-4 for the season...and if we make one of those losses against Pittsburgh, say, the Pats aren't even the #2 seed and are playing the first week of the playoffs.

The 3-1 thing shouldn't hurt Brady at all, and he's having a great year. Just looks like the MVP should go to Ryan (and c'mon, he's a BC kid and seems like a nice guy. Good for him.)

IMO Matt Ryan deserves it for all the reasons you say.

ATL is 1-5 when they don't score more than 32 points and 9-0 when the do.

Now that is pressure on the QB to carry the team and Matty Ice has really stepped it up this year.

For the record though, I don't get how the Pats going 3-1 in his absence works against Brady.
Many on this board insist Elliot is not worthy of MVP consideration because he benefits from an outstanding OL. Yet these same people dismiss the quality of the NE roster that went 3-1 without Brady.
PatFan selectivity.
Regardless, PatsFans don't vote....but many PatsHaters do and they will justify their vote with any ammo that serves their narrative. Few will vote for the 21st ranked QB in passing yards...among other reasons.
I agree with you....Ryan gets the award though I'd give it to Elliot because I want to see a non QB win and Elliot has lifted his team like no other non QB. And statistically, the QB frontrunners look very similar on paper....though Ryan edges out all candidates while leading a more prolific offense.

IMO Matt Ryan deserves it for all the reasons you say.

ATL is 1-5 when they don't score more than 32 points and 9-0 when the do.

Now that is pressure on the QB to carry the team and Matty Ice has really stepped it up this year.

No doubt. He's had a hell of a year. Ryan has carried a Falcons team with a mediocre defense, while putting up the highest number of points, the highest number of yards - and he's done it all while facing the toughest schedule in the NFL.

Fear the Falcons, and a sneaky-historic offense

"The Falcons have played the toughest schedule of opposing defenses in football this season, making their raw points total even more impressive. They've played six top-10 pass defenses this season, including those of the Broncos, Seahawks, Cardinals, Chiefs and twice against the Buccaneers. Meanwhile, they'll get only three games against bottom-10 pass defenses, having already beaten the 49ers and Saints, with that return match against New Orleans to come.

In those six games against top-10 defenses, the Falcons still managed to score plenty, averaging 30 points while turning the ball over just six times.”

No doubt. He's had a hell of a year. Ryan has carried a Falcons team with a mediocre defense, while putting up the highest number of points, the highest number of yards - and he's done it all while facing the toughest schedule in the NFL.

Fear the Falcons, and a sneaky-historic offense

"The Falcons have played the toughest schedule of opposing defenses in football this season, making their raw points total even more impressive. They've played six top-10 pass defenses this season, including those of the Broncos, Seahawks, Cardinals, Chiefs and twice against the Buccaneers. Meanwhile, they'll get only three games against bottom-10 pass defenses, having already beaten the 49ers and Saints, with that return match against New Orleans to come.

In those six games against top-10 defenses, the Falcons still managed to score plenty, averaging 30 points while turning the ball over just six times.”

Their D has been playing better of late. They also have a nice running game.

They might be the real deal.

Just did a little research and vs a top 10 scoring D TB12 is averaging 26ppg. Not as good as Matty Ice but still very good.

Never has so much angst been drawn out for what may be the dumbest award that is given. I mean who decides thes things. MEDIOTS!!!!!!! That's who. One mediot per city. Our resident mediot is Tom Curran. How the f*ck can you get a realistic vote out of 32 of these guys when I doubt they can even agree on on the definition of the damned award. (Best player? Most important to the team? ) THEN throw in all the biases, petty squabbles, and grand self importance, that goes along with these clowns, and THEN allow them to choose the MVP. :rolleyes:
'
But I'm not done. THEN they give a vote to a bunch of national guys like Bob Costas, and allow HIM to have a voice in the MVP. I seriously doubt that Bob Costas has watched 10 complete games all year.......and his vote counts just as much as Curran's.

This whole thing is a farce. Christ all you have to know about the MVP award is that Peyton Manning won it more times than Tom Brady. In fact more than TWICE as many times (2-5) How valuable can it BE! This piece of junk is worse than the Coach of the year award, that BB has won once or twice in the last 17 years. Another phoney baloney award which is won mostly by guys who are fired a few years later.

I take solace in knowing from the depth of my heart, that Tom Brady doesn't give a f*ck who wins this specious hunk of metal. His day won't change a bit when they make the announcement. Granted, there IS a little FU to Goodell if he wins, but this WHOLE season has been a massive FU to Goodell, so not getting this one is no big deal, and pales greatly to the one we'll get watching him have to pass the Lombardi to Brady in Houston. Assuming he doesn't rig the game successfully.

Last edited:
Brady and Ryan could break some serious records this Sunday, depending on how well they play

In my eyes, I think Ryan and Brady are leading the MVP race

Agreed, it pretty much has to be Ryan or Brady. I would obviously like to see Brady win it, and I think he deserves it, but I'll understand if Ryan does. Rodgers winning would be pretty stupid though, no way that should happen.

In fact, I find it kinda funny that Rodgers can be running an offense that includes Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Montgomery and there's a segment of people talking about how he's putting a bad offense on his back like he's dealing with the 2006 or 2013 Patriots or something. These people need perspective: let me know when he's working with Aaron Dobson or Reche Caldwell as his WR1, until then maybe chill the **** out and recognize that the current Packers offense is significantly better than what Brady had to deal with for most of his career at the skill positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes