PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Musings Regard The OL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take an OT in the second round
Continue to coach up Garcia, Croston, and Jelks
Retain one of Waddle/Fleming
Say a prayer or two

Garcia was drafted to be the next LT. He ran into some medical problems, but they still might expect him to take that role.

Boney Tony a better LT prospect than McGlinchey, Kolton Miller or Brian O'Neill? No way.

O'Neill is very athletic but he is pretty inconsistent and at times sloppy with his technique. He loses his balance and gets upright where he can be overpowered. I do not advocate drafting a tackle early unless he is ready to start. I see Garcia as a better prospect than O'Neill if he is fully healthy.

Ya know, there is so much pigeon holing in this evaluation process. One guys arms are too short. Instead of 34" arms he has 33" arm length.

Cousin look at your arm length. Is one inch going to make a difference? No it's ability and desire.
The next prospect has "no sand in his pants".
The next is he's best in a zone blocking scheme.....which is great if you run the ball 90% of the time. Correct me if I am wrong, but we were in spread sets 55% of the time last year instead of you traditional Fullback, Tail back scenario.

We weren't the highest.

Miami

63.82%

Detroit

62.96%

Tampa Bay

62.32%

NY Giants

61.97%

Cleveland

61.90%

San Francisco

61.44%

Green Bay

61.36%

Arizona

61.32%

Oakland

61.13%

New England

59.78%

Zone blocking?
Point being, this is a passing league. Worry about pass pro first and then the fancy zone blocking B.S.

I might not be the biggest fan of Brown but if he is so wide it takes another half second to get around him, I am good with that.

Look at the Guards in this Draft that are pigeon holed. Braden Smith Auburn:
Built like a bank safe with broad chest, hulking arms and thick legs. Weight room strong and field strong. Good body control into initial contact. Absorbs contact and starts grinding. Mauler with power at the point of attack. Able to fist fight in trenches and hold his own against power players. Has strong hands and can lock on for the long haul when he gets a strong initial grab. Good drive blocker. Guard with some emergency tackle value. Has upper body power to cave-in defensive tackles on recovery blocks. Has enough pure power to slow bull-rushers. Punch is adequate. 6"6" and 315 lbs.

Just saying it's want to , that beats he should be.

Here is a guy that BB should have all the information on.

D.J. Fluker will visit the Seahawks on Thursday. What a toy for Scar.
DW Toys

I have to think Belichick saw Solder's departure coming a mile away. Solder turns 30 next month. He has about a half-dozen concussions. He has a toddler with kidney cancer that requires very expensive treatment so he's very motivated to get as much guaranteed money as humanly possible. Solder was never coming back.

I have to think the plan was developing an OT we already have locked in or re-signing Waddle or Flemming. If we're counting on a rookie to come in and protect Brady, we're really skating on thin ice.

While I generally agree with the rest of the post, everyone really, Really needs to rid their mind of the hallucination that Fleming and/or Waddle are even worth discussing as possible solutions at LT here, protecting a 41-year-old QB's blind side. The ONLY viable candidates currently in-house are Thuney & Cannon.

Garcia should also be on that list. He was drafted to be the next guy (perhaps?) and he may be ready to step up by the end of TC.

Boney Tony a better LT prospect than McGlinchey, Kolton Miller or Brian O'Neill? No way.

It's laughable you call him "Boney Tony" when Miller is 6'9 and 309..

Williams is 6'5 1/8 - 296#
McGlinchey is 6'7 7/8 - 309#
O'Neill - 6'6 7/8 - 297#

I have to think Belichick saw Solder's departure coming a mile away. Solder turns 30 next month. He has about a half-dozen concussions. He has a toddler with kidney cancer that requires very expensive treatment so he's very motivated to get as much guaranteed money as humanly possible. Solder was never coming back.

I have to think the plan was developing an OT we already have locked in or re-signing Waddle or Flemming. If we're counting on a rookie to come in and protect Brady, we're really skating on thin ice.

Except that the primary reason that Solder cited for going to NY was so that his wife could be closer to her family. Boston Children's Hospital and the Jimmy Fund are amongst the premier health providers in this country when it comes to Kids Cancer.

By all accounts, the deal the Patriots offered was very similar to what Solder got from NY.

We frankly have no idea with what Scar might or might not be ok, and if I were him, I certainly would NOT be ok with Croston & Tobin as game-day active backups, or as members of the NEP in ANY capacity...and they can take their buddy Thanksdad Ferentz with them too.

Well, that's why you continue to be some schmuck on a message board and not a Scout or even a GM in the NFL.

A #3 TE? He's not being paid like one.

His 2018 cap hit isn't all that far above market value, now.

The Pats should, and likely will, restructure his 2018 & 2019 salaries down a bit. But I don't think they want to lose him.

Garcia says he has been cleared. So imagine he'll start bulking up ASAP

Reactions: jah

Yeah, he was a better prospect than Miller or O'Neill. I think he's fairly similar to McGlinchey, in that he was a tackle who needs to add size to his frame.

Have you seen what TEs have gotten this off-season? Allen's numbers are mid-range for someone of his blocking skills..

He is being paid almost as much as it would have to keep Bennett.... (1M+ more IIRC) and Bennett can block...

Must have been a health thing though......(for us to release Bennett after the trade for the other Bennett fell thru).

The Left Offensive Tackle is *usually* your best athlete of the starting five if your QB is right handed. He needs to large, strong, and Cat like quick.

It's laughable you call him "Boney Tony" when Miller is 6'9 and 309..

Williams is 6'5 1/8 - 296#
McGlinchey is 6'7 7/8 - 309#
O'Neill - 6'6 7/8 - 297#
And Boney Tony played at around 280.

Except that the primary reason that Solder cited for going to NY was so that his wife could be closer to her family. Boston Children's Hospital and the Jimmy Fund are amongst the premier health providers in this country when it comes to Kids Cancer.

By all accounts, the deal the Patriots offered was very similar to what Solder got from NY.
Those “accounts” gave proven to be incorrect.
The reason he went to NY was money, followed by location.
If the patriots had been foolish enough to offer close to that record breaking deal he would hsve stayed.

Garcia was drafted to be the next LT. He ran into some medical problems, but they still might expect him to take that role.
Possibly, but it’s also easy to see why they may take another high round pick tackle.

While it would be great to see Garcia progress throughout the year, bulk up, put his health issues aside etc, you most certainly don’t want to have to rely on him. Also, I don’t think you can ever have too many options at the position of tackle.

Possibly, but it’s also easy to see why they may take another high round pick tackle.

While it would be great to see Garcia progress throughout the year, bulk up, put his health issues aside etc, you most certainly don’t want to have to rely on him. Also, I don’t think you can ever have too many options at the position of tackle.
I don't think there are any tackles in this draft worth a high round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore